Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,748 times

Advertisements

Greetings. Thanks in advance for any help.

Have a job opportunity in Bedford, MA. Starting to look for places to live, and hoping to live in or near the Cambridge/Somerville area (not a hard requirement, though). My main concern is my commute. I'd really like to avoid spending more than around an hour in the car each day.

Keep in mind my work schedule would be somewhat variable as to avoid rush hour traffic - i.e. I could go into to work at 7:30 or 10 AM any given day and leave at 4 or 6.

So I have a two pronged question.

First, if I 100% wanted to live in Cambridge/Somerville, I'd probably try to live close to one of the highways that would lead me up to Bedford (Route 2 for Cambridge side, I 93 for Somerville side). Would one of these routes be significantly better than the other in the morning and evening? How bad would either of these commutes be if I were avoiding peak rush hours?

Secondly, if it seems like I shouldn't try to live in that area, what are some good neighborhoods to live in that might make my commute a bit shorter? I'm a young twentysomething, and want to live in a place that would be at least semi-enjoyable for a young person to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 06:12 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
It would be roughly 45 minutes from Cambridge or Somerville by either route 2 or Mass Ave into Bedford. You really want to stick near that area unless prohibited by budget when you are in your 20s and looking for good times. Being near 93 will not help with that commute as that would take you there the roundabout way.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:29 PM

316 posts, read 723,611 times
Arlington would be excellent for you. Your commute to Bedford would be easy and could be achieved either via Route 2 or by using Mass Ave and other back roads, dependent of course upon where in Bedford you're trying to reach. Much of Cambridge and a lot of Somerville are easily accessible via Route 2; I'd stick to this and avoid 93 completely because as 495neighbor said, it would be a much less direct route.

Arlington is a mostly sleepy community, but in the last twenty or so years has become much more inviting due to an infusion of eateries, cafés and the like. The transit into Cambridge and Somerville is easy, and from parts of East Arlington, you can even walk to some areas of West Somerville and North Cambridge that offer things to do.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:10 PM

41 posts, read 72,070 times
It depends on your budget. Cambridge/Somerville are more urban and more expensive. Arlington/Watertown are also options but less urban and slightly less expensive. The latter two choices might be too sleepy for a 20-something, but it depends on your personality.

Bedford is on the Minuteman Bike Trail and would be a good, safe bike commute if you want to combine your commute with your workout. I can ride to Bedford from the Fresh Pond area of Cambridge in an hour, give or take a bit. Beats sitting in a car on a nice day. Planning for reasonably quick access to Mass Ave and/or the Minuteman (they parallel one another) would be key if you wanted to do this regularly.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
How about Lowell? much closer to Bedford, and has the urban city/college town vibe of Cambridge/Somerville.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:15 AM

9,080 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
How about Lowell? much closer to Bedford, and has the urban city/college town vibe of Cambridge/Somerville.
While I commend the recommendation of Lowell, the commute on route 3 is going to be painful as the OP will be traveling with the majority of people from the north commuting to the plethora of businesses located in Waltham, Lexington and Burlington. From personal experience the commute from downtown Lowell to the Burlington Mall area was consistently 35-40 minutes in optimal traffic conditions.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 02-05-2014 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Grammatical

Old 02-05-2014, 12:59 PM

34 posts, read 56,634 times
Stay aware that Cambridge and Somerville cover a relatively large area, and the commute time can differ significantly depending on which neighborhood you're talking about. Easiest sections for a Bedford commute are North Cambridge and Davis/Teele Sqs in Somerville -- these are 15-20 minutes or so closer (at peak hours) than, say Central Sq or Union Sq.

Also agree that you consider bicycling via Minuteman Bikeway when the weather and sun allow. It's about 11 miles from Alewife to Bedford Center, with the only awkward road crossing at Arlington Center. Bikepaths in No Cambridge and Davis areas connect to the Minuteman.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:14 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtopaz View Post
Stay aware that Cambridge and Somerville cover a relatively large area, and the commute time can differ significantly depending on which neighborhood you're talking about. Easiest sections for a Bedford commute are North Cambridge and Davis/Teele Sqs in Somerville -- these are 15-20 minutes or so closer (at peak hours) than, say Central Sq or Union Sq.
Good pt. I have driven from Porter to Kendall in the worst of traffic, with it taking me 45 minutes to go from one end of Cambridge to the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts