Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:00 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,938,242 times

Advertisements

After leaving New England 6 years ago my husband and I will be up again with out 4 year old for the first time since. I never made my way to Cape Cod while living there, and while Sept isn't exactly the most ideal month to go, we are there for a family reunion and don't have much choice in the dates (Sept 23-Oct 2). I'd love some suggestions on where to go/see on the Cape that would still be enjoyable then. Also any recommendations for a hotel/bed and breakfast for a night. We'd like to arrive and spend a whole two days. the majority of our time will be in Danvers and Melrose so I don't wanna make that drive every day with a 4 year old.

Also my gf lives in Mashpee and just for giggles I looked at some real estate there. My husband lived on the Cape as a child and has fond memories. I'm wondering why, of the houses I looked at, the taxes seem much much lower than the rest of well, New England. I was seeing capes for $250,000 with $1,200 taxes. Whats wrong with the town for it to be that low? My husband will be finishing his BA from FIU in Finance and Economics and we've entertained the idea of looking into the Cape to raise our daughter. We previously lived in NH and weren't thrilled with the too slow pace of life and we lived very far inland (Near Vermont). Having grown up in Fla most of my life and never living more than 15 mins from the beach I found the transition very hard. I know living that close to the water on the Cape is near impossible but it closer than Vermont! Any suggestions on towns for us to check out while there on top of our little vacation visit would be great also. If it helps we would rent the first year ($1,200 max a month) Buy after with a budget of $300,000 for our first home. Husband in Finance obviously and I'm a previous pastry chef for the Waldorf bu wouldn't mind anything from B&B/Hotel to private bakery . Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:07 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Whats wrong with the town for it to be that low?

No jobs

Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No jobs
On the Cape in general or that town specifically

Old 02-04-2014, 08:48 AM

675 posts, read 1,694,632 times
Briefly:

I've heard that September is actually one of the best times to go! Fewer crowds, warmer water, almost everything is still open, and the weather is still nice.

Re: property prices, an RE expert like MikePRU may know more but I've read that Cape prices have stayed pretty stable throughout RE lows and highs. Like, it's always the Cape = desirable so people will always buy there and it can ride out RE lulls but there are not a ton of changes in jobs and industry to drive any huge population spikes and subsequent demand.

The Heritage Musuem and Gardens in Sandwich (http://heritagemuseumsandgardens.org/calendar) is great for kids and they're open through October. There is also the Natural History Museum (www.ccmnh.org), Herring Run and Mill (no herring then) and Brewster Country Store, all in Brewster. And Cape Cod National Seashore is beautiful. Honestly, you'll have a nice time if you just stick a spot to stay and relax and take walks on the beach, I don't know that there are any "must do" things on the Cape besides that, it doesn't take much to enjoy your visit (as long as you're on the Cape longer than you're in traffic to get there!)

Re: year-round residence, I'll let someone else chime in. I know year round residents who love it but it's not a commuter area - it can be a PITA to travel off-Cape certain times of year because you'll get stuck in traffic coming home. It seems like a pastry chef probably has more job choices on Cape than someone in finance, but again I'll let someone else chime in.

Last edited by tribechamy; 02-04-2014 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Briefly:

I've heard that September is actually one of the best times to go! Fewer crowds, warmer water, almost everything is still open, and the weather is still nice.

Re: property prices, an RE expert like MikePRU may know more but I've read that Cape prices have stayed pretty stable throughout RE lows and highs. Like, it's always the Cape = desirable so people will always buy there and it can ride out RE lulls but there are not a ton of changes in jobs and industry to drive any huge population spikes and subsequent demand.

The Heritage Musuem and Gardens in Sandwich (http://heritagemuseumsandgardens.org/calendar) is great for kids and they're open through October. There is also the Natural History Museum (www.ccmnh.org), Herring Run and Mill (no herring then) and Brewster Country Store, all in Brewster. And Cape Cod National Seashore is beautiful. Honestly, you'll have a nice time if you just stick a spot to stay and relax and take walks on the beach, I don't know that there are any "must do" things on the Cape besides that, it doesn't take much to enjoy your visit (as long as you're on the Cape longer than you're in traffic to get there!)

Re: year-round residence, I'll let someone else chime in. I know year round residents who love it but it's not a commuter area - it can be a PITA to travel off-Cape certain times of year because you'll get stuck in traffic coming home. It seems like a pastry chef probably has more job choices on Cape than someone in finance, but again I'll let someone else chime in.

Thank you! My husband also has a background in Law Enforcement so he could work for a PD , even in finance there or he was also a police officer in NH and has been now a 911 dispatcher for 10 years.. so we have options. Mainly he would want to go in his degree field though, so anything from Banking to insurance to blah blah (the field bores me to tears!!)

Old 02-04-2014, 09:37 AM

8,539 posts, read 13,961,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Cape Cod and the islands are really completely separate and different real estate markets from the Boston suburbs. I really can't add anything to this conversation because these are not markets I work in. This subject is more in Cape Cod Todd's (also a real estate agent) wheelhouse and hopefully he can add some insights here.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:29 PM

24,324 posts, read 17,065,160 times
Thanks Mike.
The Cape does have some of the lowest tax rates in Massachusetts and this is partly due to the school systems and the demand placed on them. There are just not as many children on the Cape and as a result we do not need to be continually building and rebuilding schools. Though each town has it's own elementary school some of the middle and high schools have been regionalised.
As for property prices we saw dips in the market during the recession but no where near as shocking as off Cape. There are many properties here that are second and or retirement homes and generally the owners can weather the Wall Street ups and downs.
The end of September is a great time to visit the Cape. The weather is still nice and warm. Most of the tourists have gone back to work and most of the fun places to play and eat are still open.
As for real estate there are plenty of properties that will fit into your budget. Also within your budget it is possible to find a home that is close to the beach. You might not be able to walk to it and still have wine in your glass when you get there.. (a little joke we like to say) but you could ride a bike.
As for sights to see in your couple of days here it depends on what you like to do. I would say take a drive on Rt28 along the bottom of the Cape then meet up with Rt6 in Orleans and head on up the "arm" all the way to Provincetown. On the way you can stop off in several spots to see the National Seashore. On the way back take Rt6a and stop at my office in Brewster and we will find you a house to buy! LOL
The Cape has plenty of places to shop and dine and amazing beauty to see. You will need more than 2 days to see it all. Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket are both amazing places to visit as well.
Let me know if I can help out.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:41 PM

546 posts, read 1,372,841 times
I agree with September being a good time to visit with less traffic as well as off season in general. The further down the cape towards Provincetown you go, the prettier it gets in general. The shorelines in Welfleet and Truro are my favs.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:22 AM

Thanks you guys love the info! Will def do my homework before visiting and more than two days is def an option for staying on.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:36 AM

I have another question, perhaps for people who live there year round or who have on the past. Do people , in general or your personal experience, feel a bit of cabin fever in regards to feeling the need to leave the Cape frequently? I lived on Key West as a child (obviously MUCH smaller than the cape) and my mother felt to the need to leave and get off constantly because she felt she need more roaming space so to speak. Also what is on the cape as far as basic ammenities (Target, Walmart, food stores etc) or do people generally drive off to go to those places. Nothing wrong with shopping local, I enjoy it but every once in a while you just might need a Target run

Also, any Montessori schools on the Cape? My daughter is currently enrolled in one here and we'd like to continue her education in that.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 02-05-2014 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts