Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:10 PM

728 posts, read 973,926 times

Advertisements

It's really disappointing that the MBTA hasn't been able to capitilize on the amount of commuters going into Boston everyday. If you ever took a bus to Dedham, Randolph, Walpole, Hingham, Weymouth, Brockton, and Stoughton you would see how full they are (Peak hours and the calmer times as well).

"Metro South" is an ignored part of the Metropolitan area (transportation wise, IMO of course). Braintree station (Red Line Alternate South terminus) doesn't have enough bus routes connected to it. Braintree is closer to Randolph, Avon, Holbrook and some parts of Weymouth but barely any buses go to those towns from that hub. Instead it's all Quincy Center, which is a long ride and is still usually at capacity by the time you get to South Shore Plaza.

Heck, they wanted to cut buses to Hingham, Avon and Randolph (amongst others) during a round of negotiation. The town leaders were outraged and the T scaled back the plan. I remember seeing a thread about how cheap the T is in Boston. If that's the case and the usual rate is higher, put it up! We need some serious infrastructure work here on the South Shore. At least we have no toll to get into the city.

Last edited by MassNative2891; 02-19-2014 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 05:30 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
It's really disappointing that the MBTA hasn't been able to capitilize on the amount of commuters going into Boston everyday. If you ever took a bus to Dedham, Randolph, Walpole, Hingham, Weymouth, Brockton, and Stoughton you would see how full they are (Peak hours and the calmer times as well).

"Metro South" is an ignored part of the Metropolitan area (transportation wise, IMO of course). Braintree station (Red Line Alternate South terminus) doesn't have enough bus routes connected to it. Braintree is closer to Randolph, Avon, Holbrook and some parts of Weymouth but barely any buses go to those towns from that hub. Instead it's all Quincy Center, which is a long ride and is still usually at capacity by the time you get to South Shore Plaze.

Heck, they wanted to cut buses to Hingham, Avon and Randolph (amongst others) during a round of negotiation. The town leaders were outraged and the T scaled back the plan. I remember seeing a thread about how cheap the T is in Boston. If that's the case and the usual rate is higher, put it up! We need some serious infrastructure work here on the South Shore. At least we have no toll to get into the city.

Agree with you. Buses or shuttles would take many cars off the road, decrease traffic, but most towns do not have them.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
There are a fair amount of regional transit authorities in the state granted of course the MBTA is the largest.
Massachusetts Association of Regional Transit Authorities - Welcome

Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
It'll only get worse in March when they close the gov't center station for 2 friggin' yrs. not looking forward to that.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:05 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:

"Metro South" is an ignored part of the Metropolitan area (transportation wise, IMO of course). Braintree station (Red Line Alternate South terminus) doesn't have enough bus routes connected to it. Braintree is closer to Randolph, Avon, Holbrook and some parts of Weymouth but barely any buses go to those towns from that hub. Instead it's all Quincy Center, which is a long ride and is still usually at capacity by the time you get to South Shore Plaza.

The commuter rail service down at the South Shore could help but it needs help itself. Increase the frequency of the trains, lower the fares (which are still much higher than the subway fare) and allow passengers to pay by Charlie Card via hand held scanners and more people are likely to flock to the commuter rail. This will tremendously alleviate the Braintree Red Line sardine cans during rush hour. Otherwise I'm not sure why the politicians down there wanted commuter rail restored in the first place, perhaps to prettify their communities with platforms and purple striped signs?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
The commuter rail service down at the South Shore could help but it needs help itself. Increase the frequency of the trains, lower the fares (which are still much higher than the subway fare) and allow passengers to pay by Charlie Card via hand held scanners and more people are likely to flock to the commuter rail. This will tremendously alleviate the Braintree Red Line sardine cans during rush hour. Otherwise I'm not sure why the politicians down there wanted commuter rail restored in the first place, perhaps to prettify their communities with platforms and purple striped signs?
The MBTA hasn't quite figured out how to properly market the Commuter Rail, it seems. I live about two minutes walking distance from a station and it's rarely used by anyone in my neighborhood. Having two bus connections can do that, but I doubt it's the only reason. I think if the commuter rail worked as intended it would be awesome.

That Charlie Card point drives it all home for me though. Why isn't the Commuter Rail Charlie Card compatible? Not to mention the collectors forget to collect the fares in the 'burbs (rarely but it happens) and then the T administration turns around and puts more money into security measures in the city. While simulteneously complaining about people skipping fares and not making enough revenue.

Last edited by MassNative2891; 02-20-2014 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Boston Area is expensive no matter what. No amount of work can change that.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
The MBTA hasn't quite figured out how to properly market the Commuter Rail, it seems. I live about two minutes walking distance from a station and it's rarely used by anyone in my neighborhood. Having two bus connections can do that, but I doubt it's the only reason. I think if the commuter rail worked as intended it would be awesome.
It's not about marketing. It's because the service frequency is terrible outside of rush hour. On the weekends the cost of driving into Boston and paying to park in a garage is significantly cheaper in both time and money than taking the commuter rail (and some lines simply don't operate on weekends at all).

Old 02-20-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
It's not about marketing. It's because the service frequency is terrible outside of rush hour. On the weekends the cost of driving into Boston and paying to park in a garage is significantly cheaper in both time and money than taking the commuter rail (and some lines simply don't operate on weekends at all).
Oh yeah, good point.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:07 AM

560 posts, read 750,975 times
Quote:
^^This^^

I live one town over from multiple commuter rail stops north of the city and I still drive into Boston and pay $300+ to park each month becuase the commuter rail frequency is terrible out stide of immediate rush hour. If i want t grab a drink after work or go to dinner i am now on the every hour sechedule which doesnt make sense. I rahter leave my house at 6:30 and drive in (while paying tobin tolls) for 35 minutes vs be beholden to the commuter rail schedule.

Also, while people here bemoan every fare hike, the T is still significantly cheaper than most other lines in the US. If they are ever going to start to fix the infastructure they will need to raise the fares substancially.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
It's a catch 22. MBCR (the T's Commuter Rail Contractor) will not increase service until they see sufficient ridership but there won't be sufficient ridership until there is increased service. Why do you think they cut weekend service to the Needham, Greenbush, and Plymouth/Kingston Lines?

I recently rode to and from Holbrook/Randolph Station from South Station on a Saturday. During both trips not more than two out of six cars were used to hold passengers. There you have 1) insufficient ridership, 2) a terrible "can't miss your train or wait another 2 hours" schedule, and 3) and underutilized train. Why doesn't MBCR run fewer cars such as 2-3 cars per train during off-peak hours, save on fuel (shorter trains require less fuel to power), and analyze ridership demand from this? They can then split up more trains and improve off-peak schedules by running trains more frequently but no, they continue to do the same lame operations year after year, complain that there's insufficient ridership, continue to raise fares, and continue to cut service at the same time. The only thing that will stop commuter rail from being cut entirely is the wrath of the politicians who want to the trains service their communities or at least look like they're servicing the communities.

MassNative has several good points though. Besides people who live in communities serviced by commuter rail, not many other people know about or understand the service. Even some of those folks don't either. Case in point, I live not too far from the Fairmount Line which recently added several new stations in communities long distressed by inadequate public transportation. Yet not still many people ride the line even from those stations because 1)the MBTA didn't properly market the line, 2) they don't accept Charlie Cards, 3) the whole "gotta buy your ticket before you board or pay a $3 surcharge" really confuses the heck out of commuter rail newcomers and leading many to believe that commuter rail is too pricey, and 4) you still can't transfer to a bus or subway line from the commuter rail on the same fare unless you have a monthly pass (and no the Link Pass is not valid - you need to get the same priced Zone 1A but who would know that off the top of their heads?).

The other point is the commuter rail's honor system of collecting fares is simply outdated. No conductor can ever collect fares from each and every passenger during really busy times such as peak hours or during special events the way they are doing it now. Many times they simply give up. Having hand held scanners that can read Charlie Cards won't cut out fare evasion completely but can speed up the fare collection process and finally connect the commuter rail to the rapid transit and bus systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts