Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 AM

145 posts, read 282,557 times

Advertisements

I would like to move outside of Boston Proper to somewhere along the commuter rail, maybe Acton, and was wondering which areas are (or are not) prone to long power outages, particularly after snow storms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 01:23 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,631,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss44 View Post
I would like to move outside of Boston Proper to somewhere along the commuter rail, maybe Acton, and was wondering which areas are (or are not) prone to long power outages, particularly after snow storms?
I have lived in Acton over a decade. I have only experienced one power outage that lasted a few days. It was one of those big blizzards from several years ago where at least a third of New England seemed to be power off. Our area seemed to get the power on sooner than many others who were left in the dark for weeks.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:21 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,095,785 times
As a resident who has lived in both Eastern and Western Mass for roughly 20 years each end, I can only remember 2 times being without power for more than a few hours. In eastern mass it was due to an ice storm that wreaked havoc on the area. And in Western Mass it was a rare October snowstorm that caused all the tree limbs to become over weighed and snap off due to the leaves still being on the trees.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 PM

7,919 posts, read 7,798,342 times
I live on the south shore and frankly I think the storms have become significantly worse in the past decade. I remember it wasn't that long ago that hardly anyone had a snowblower. Now half the block has one. Inches of snow are one thing...12+ are another.

You might want to talk to some in towns...maybe a dpw or planner. In some cases it can be part of a town rather than all of it. Also consider road access can be a factor.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:01 PM

374 posts, read 654,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I live on the south shore and frankly I think the storms have become significantly worse in the past decade. I remember it wasn't that long ago that hardly anyone had a snowblower. Now half the block has one. Inches of snow are one thing...12+ are another.

You might want to talk to some in towns...maybe a dpw or planner. In some cases it can be part of a town rather than all of it. Also consider road access can be a factor.
You aren't a real old-timer. We hardly have snow. Prior to 1980 we used to get snow. Most of the time we hardly get a dusting when other places pack 6". Only the last 3 out of 5 years featured some good snowfall during certain storms on the South Shore. The the yearly accumulations are still not near the highs. The recording methodology at Logan airport changed. Many refer to the year of 1980 as the start of the Great Snow Drought.

Regardless, the practices in repairing the grid have changed. I believe that they actually de-energized a good portion of Whitman and Abington to repair a segment instead of working on it live during the snowstorm of 2013. The towns with municipal plants seem to handle line maintenance without any issue or failures. This should be considered very carefully and the work of major private considers should be viewed in light of such.

The quality is not the same while they still have some of the highest number of linemen per mile available within the nation.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts