U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 AM
 
15 posts, read 30,803 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

We are moving from the North Shore/metro north this spring and we're considering Wayland. The area we're in now is not a good fit for us. I grew up on the South Shore and would love to be in a town like Norwell but the commute would be awful for both my husband and me, so we're looking at towns along the pike/128. Wayland would be an ideal location for us, and we love the schools, but I'm worried that we wouldn't fit in money-wise. We will be spending around $500k on a house -- there seem to be quite a few of houses in Wayland around that price point (mostly because there are still small houses to be had) but there are also the $5 million estates.

If Wayland doesn't seem like a good fit, does anyone have other suggestions in that general area?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2014, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
6,265 posts, read 8,122,464 times
Reputation: 4662
Quote:
Originally Posted by najjan View Post
We are moving from the North Shore/metro north this spring and we're considering Wayland. The area we're in now is not a good fit for us. I grew up on the South Shore and would love to be in a town like Norwell but the commute would be awful for both my husband and me, so we're looking at towns along the pike/128. Wayland would be an ideal location for us, and we love the schools, but I'm worried that we wouldn't fit in money-wise. We will be spending around $500k on a house -- there seem to be quite a few of houses in Wayland around that price point (mostly because there are still small houses to be had) but there are also the $5 million estates.

If Wayland doesn't seem like a good fit, does anyone have other suggestions in that general area?

Thanks in advance!

You are going to have to be more descriptive about what you don't love about your current town. If you are comfortable doing so, the name of the town would be helpful so we will have a point of reference. Also, tell us what kinds of activities you and your family enjoy.

The Cochichuate area of Wayland is down to earth. Other parts are more affluent. I know Wayland well. Despite having some very high priced homes in town, I do not find it to be a snobby town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2014, 10:53 AM
 
15 posts, read 30,803 times
Reputation: 26
We're in Stoneham now. It's hard to explain what we don't like without sounding like a jerk, but we're looking for a place that is more white collar, higher percentage of people with college degrees, etc. The biggest problem we've had here, though, is that EVERYONE grew up either here or in Medford. We'd like a less "townie" town. Our son also needs services so we're looking for a town with very good public schools, which Stoneham does not have.

I grew up in Hingham and would love to find a town that is what Hingham was like 20-30 years ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2014, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
6,265 posts, read 8,122,464 times
Reputation: 4662
Quote:
Originally Posted by najjan View Post
We're in Stoneham now. It's hard to explain what we don't like without sounding like a jerk, but we're looking for a place that is more white collar, higher percentage of people with college degrees, etc. The biggest problem we've had here, though, is that EVERYONE grew up either here or in Medford. We'd like a less "townie" town. Our son also needs services so we're looking for a town with very good public schools, which Stoneham does not have.
You don't sound like a jerk. You are just being honest.

It sounds like you are looking for a new place that doesn't quite have as much of an hard edge.

Wayland, like Natick, has a mix of blue collar and white collar people. I believe the difference in these kinds of towns compared to towns closer to Boston is that the blue collar people tend to be tradespeople who are self-employed and/or own construction companies vs. blue collar people who have worked in manufacturing and sometimes view white collar people "the man" in the executive suite to be despised. See themselves as having invisible boundaries, at the bottom of the pyramid.



Quote:
Originally Posted by najjan View Post
I grew up in Hingham and would love to find a town that is what Hingham was like 20-30 years ago.
I think you should look at Wayland as well as Natick.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2014, 12:34 PM
 
392 posts, read 816,481 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post


I think you should look at Wayland as well as Natick.
Good suggestion. I would just add that taxes in Wayland are twice as high as in Natick, plus property values are higher, so your property taxes end up quite a big expense, for similar location. Some people swear by Wayland schools (definitely a plus), yet Natick ones are very solid as well. Wayland has more "woodsy" and secluded feel. Most shopping will be done in neighboring towns of Natick, Framingham, Sudbury (depending on where you are located). Recently a new Stop and Shop opened up in Wayland right off rt 20, and there is a Whole Foods store as well, so that helps with groceries, but most other shopping will be else where.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2014, 12:50 PM
 
15 posts, read 30,803 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
You don't sound like a jerk. You are just being honest.

and sometimes view white collar people "the man" in the executive suite to be despised. See themselves as having invisible boundaries, at the bottom of the pyramid.
This, exactly! I work at a local university (one of the prestigious ones, but I don't have any sort of fancy job or anything) and I've gotten some weird reactions when people find out where I work.

I'll have to check Natick out. It doesn't seem super desirable to me, but I think I have the Natick of 1994 in my head.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2014, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Needham, MA
7,189 posts, read 10,978,981 times
Reputation: 6227
Quote:
Originally Posted by najjan View Post
This, exactly! I work at a local university (one of the prestigious ones, but I don't have any sort of fancy job or anything) and I've gotten some weird reactions when people find out where I work.

I'll have to check Natick out. It doesn't seem super desirable to me, but I think I have the Natick of 1994 in my head.
I grew up in Framingham which is next door to Natick. So, I can tell you Natick 2014 is quite different from Natick 1994. The schools are much improved, the town center has been refurbished quite a bit, and the high school mascot is no longer the red men. I know a lot of my contemporaries who have been priced out of places like Newton, Wellesley, Needham, etc. have settled there and absolutely love it. There's a lot more to the town than just the mall. However, these days $500K would be considered an entry level budget in Natick as well. There will be a lot of competition for the houses you are looking at.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2014, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
6,265 posts, read 8,122,464 times
Reputation: 4662
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaram View Post
Good suggestion. I would just add that taxes in Wayland are twice as high as in Natick, plus property values are higher, so your property taxes end up quite a big expense, for similar location.
oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaram View Post
Some people swear by Wayland schools (definitely a plus), yet Natick ones are very solid as well. Wayland has more "woodsy" and secluded feel.
Took the words out of my mouth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2014, 03:11 PM
 
15 posts, read 30,803 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
However, these days $500K would be considered an entry level budget in Natick as well. There will be a lot of competition for the houses you are looking at.
WOW. I had no idea it was that expensive!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2014, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
6,265 posts, read 8,122,464 times
Reputation: 4662
Quote:
Originally Posted by najjan View Post
WOW. I had no idea it was that expensive!
You might be able to get a very nice townhome or an older home that needs sweat equity or the occasional ranch or split level in the $350 -$450 range, if you would consider one of those options in Natick.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top