Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:20 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Great call on Providence. Don't know why I didn't think of it. With the RISD influence, and other influences, it has a strong art community. AS220 does great stuff. Heck, I wish Boston could have a space/area like the Olneyville underground art lofts/warehouses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 03:33 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
For someone looking to avoid drugs and poverty, I don't know why Providence would be a suggestion. It is easily worse than Lowell, Salem, Worcester, Portland or any of the other places mentioned. Maybe not Springfield.

Olneyville is horrible. You would almost need an armed guard when picking up ribs at Wes's some nights...

Old 02-18-2014, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,784 times
@FCMA: Of the alternatives above, I'd vote for "isolated" or "a bit quiet" rather than "insanely expensive" or "squirreled away in the slums" - as long as there are more social activities for people in my age range than there are in Newburyport and Portsmouth.

Portland might be a workable option too - I haven't ruled it out. I think I could steer clear of the drug issues by being selective about where I live.

It sounds like the Northampton area might be a good fit. I like visiting Providence and know people there, but I'm not interested in living there. I also have had a good time visiting Burlington, although it is far away.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
For someone looking to avoid drugs and poverty, I don't know why Providence would be a suggestion. It is easily worse than Lowell, Salem, Worcester, Portland or any of the other places mentioned. Maybe not Springfield.

Olneyville is horrible. You would almost need an armed guard when picking up ribs at Wes's some nights...
Wow- are you off base here! You just proved you know nothing about what's happening here.

Providence has a great artistic community.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:05 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:

Prone to exaggeration much? There are drugs everywhere, but again, I was commenting on the art scene in Olneyville. Lots of warehouse space turned into artist living/performance space. Cool things going on down there. It's not infrequent I go down on Friday/Saturday night to see cool bands that aren't playing Boston due to lack of venues.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Prone to exaggeration much? There are drugs everywhere, but again, I was commenting on the art scene in Olneyville. Lots of warehouse space turned into artist living/performance space. Cool things going on down there. It's not infrequent I go down on Friday/Saturday night to see cool bands that aren't playing Boston due to lack of venues.
No I'm not exaggerating. The OP was clear in what he did/didn't want. He is being turned away from cities where those issues are very tame compared to Providence. If Salem has too much of "that", then Providence/Olneyville is definitely not for him. Just sayin...

Old 02-18-2014, 08:14 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Maynard is a nice safe suburb with something of an alternative undercurrent. Not that you'd mistake it for the Burning Man festival. I live in the next town over and have seen my share of goth, punk, unusual hair colors, tattoos and piercings around town.

It even has its own theater and art gallery building.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:

Those must be some ribs

Old 02-18-2014, 11:49 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,034 times
I honestly think you might still try Lowell. The crime rate has been dropping and of all the satellite cities in the the entire state it's probably going to turn out the best safety-wise and culturally and economically. And it's close to and accessible from Boston, which may not be that important for you, but it's probably important to many people in your scene, and so they will find it to be a cheaper, perhaps edgier alternative to Boston/Cambridge/Somerville.

Northampton still seems like a really good option. It's not as isolated as places like Burlington with Springfield and Holyoke close by, Amherst, and lots of forest and hillside. It has a nice arts scene but it doesn't feel as sterile as Newburyport or as isolated as Burlington.

I'm trying to think of other possibilities. I mean honestly, someone listed all the different "types" or artsy/edgey/bohemian communities and I guess that point was that the options are limited, but damn the list seemed pretty diverse to me.

Maybe this isn't right but what about Hyannis? It's not P-Town but it's not New Bedford. I don't know how strong their bohemian scene is because I haven't spent much time there.

I'd also take another look at Worcester. Worcester is a city but it's not a big metro area which means you can live right outside Worcester in a less overwhelming community. I don't think people know that much about Worcester's bohemian city but it's actually pretty impressive, more impressive than Boston's in my opinion based on what they do with a lot less "recognition." There are communes, a lot of the converted factories and mills are used by sort of independent bohemian-style workers (black smiths, people who do their own carpentry) and there's a big environmental/sustainable scene.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Those must be some ribs
Oh and they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts