Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 PM

7 posts, read 12,087 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm a student in Alabama who is going to be transferring to Salem State University for the fall semester of this year. Salem has always been a town that's interested me, and I have a bit of connection to New England as I was born in New Hampshire and spent a few years there before my family moved down south. I've always been a northerner at heart, truthfully!

For the first year of school, I won't be able to receive financial aid from SSU. This places me in a bit of a bind as I won't be able to do school housing with my tuition without that extra aid. So, unless the FAFSA grants me a federal work-study job, this leaves me with hunting for apartment rooms. I'm not bothered by this, but since cost of living there is higher, I'd greatly appreciate any help or advice on where to find a good place to stay while I'm there. I have little reservations about living outside Salem if need be, such as Boston, though I'd rather be close to my school if possible.

As for a job, I've been looking around but any hints would be great. I've only recently decided to return to my studies; for the past three years I've been working full-time. Currently I'm working for East Alabama Medical Center, and I've been there for over a year now. I also have worked retail and transportation. Is it hard to find a good job, one that can support a full-time student, in Salem? If so, should I look elsewhere?

Finally, I'd love some general information about the area. What are the people like? Do I need a vehicle while I'm there? Any bit of info is appreciated!

If there's any information about me or my circumstances that I can provide, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,614,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypto89 View Post
Hey everyone. I'm a student in Alabama who is going to be transferring to Salem State University for the fall semester of this year. Salem has always been a town that's interested me, and I have a bit of connection to New England as I was born in New Hampshire and spent a few years there before my family moved down south. I've always been a northerner at heart, truthfully!

For the first year of school, I won't be able to receive financial aid from SSU. This places me in a bit of a bind as I won't be able to do school housing with my tuition without that extra aid. So, unless the FAFSA grants me a federal work-study job, this leaves me with hunting for apartment rooms. I'm not bothered by this, but since cost of living there is higher, I'd greatly appreciate any help or advice on where to find a good place to stay while I'm there. I have little reservations about living outside Salem if need be, such as Boston, though I'd rather be close to my school if possible.

As for a job, I've been looking around but any hints would be great. I've only recently decided to return to my studies; for the past three years I've been working full-time. Currently I'm working for East Alabama Medical Center, and I've been there for over a year now. I also have worked retail and transportation. Is it hard to find a good job, one that can support a full-time student, in Salem? If so, should I look elsewhere?

Finally, I'd love some general information about the area. What are the people like? Do I need a vehicle while I'm there? Any bit of info is appreciated!

If there's any information about me or my circumstances that I can provide, please let me know!

You are best off living in Salem itself and living with a roommate or two. There are many apartments around the campus and near the downtown. Salem has a much better cost of living than many of the Boston metro areas. The downtown is very lively with many eating and drinking places and festivities especially the big Halloween party. There is a train to get into Boston on occasion.

For work since you are currently working for a hospital you may be able to get into North Shore Medical Center in Salem. You have the many restaurants and tourist attractions as a fall back.

Welcome to Massachusetts.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:43 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,601,995 times
Salem is a major pain to drive in/out of during rush hour. Or most of the time really.

Living in Boston and commuting out by train you'd likely experience that the train doesn't let out near campus AFAIK, so even once you got to Salem you'd have some travel to get to class.

Agree with 495 - you'll be much, much better off in Salem than in Boston itself.

FWIW, if you're currently employed and seeing a drop in salary to re-enroll in school, you should talk to the financial aid office at SSU about doing a 'Professional Judgement' for your decline in income.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:44 PM

7 posts, read 12,087 times
Thanks for the information, everyone. It's definitely uplifting to know there's a hospital within Salem; hopefully with my experience, I'll have some luck with the job search there. I see where bler144 wrote about the pains of driving in and out of Salem, and that the train from Boston does not let out near the school. I wonder if even having a vehicle there is worth it? I imagine Salem is very walkable, and I've heard the same for Boston.

Then again, I'd have no way to get my stuff up there. Haha, there's always something. Are there any laws against skateboarding in Salem? I fiigure there will be; but it doesn't hurt to ask, as that's a hobby of mine and could be a way to get around Salem.

I've never heard of "Professional Judgement", but I'll certainly take it up with the financial aid office and see where I get with that. Thanks!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 PM

457 posts, read 643,739 times
I keep my car but then my car is paid for and I'm not getting rid of it to wind up being on foot everywhere I go, so that's that and it's not an issue for me. Then again I can't stand the kind of areas I wind up in if I don't have a car to be able to get back and forth to the better areas (judging by the experience that has been MY LIFE THUS FAR I'd wind up in Lynn in some bad area and having to be on buses and with winter daylight hours being shorter, after dark.)

That being said, having a vehicle in any part of Essex County is more "worth it" than down in Boston proper. It's only Boston you don't want to be trying to live in WITH a car, not "the rest of Massachusetts" which Salem technically is. Last time I checked, the buses that serve Salem only run once every hour.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 AM

204 posts, read 285,380 times
I love Salem and would probably live there if I were single. You can afford a decent place on one salary (but getting roommates is better, particularly if you're not making a good full time salary with benefits) and there's lots going on downtown.

It's walkable in terms of shops, bars, restaurants, little daily needs, and there's a commuter rail to Boston during work hours. But if you want to get anywhere outside downtown Salem (neighboring towns, big shopping trips to like Target or whatnot, Boston on weekends) you'll want a car.

I wouldn't recommend skateboarding as a way of getting around. The sidewalks and streets are complete crap for the most part, and lots of them are even brick or cobblestone. You can do it, but it would be slow, laborious and teeth-chattering. I don't know about legality or whether there are any skate parks in the area.

By "big Halloween party" I assume the above poster means the entire month of October, when Salem is completely overrun by tourists. A nightmare if you're the quiet type, but lots of fun if you don't mind crowds and enjoy Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts