Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 PM

229 posts, read 384,709 times

Advertisements

I think you need to increase your budget to $950K if you are looking in Lexington or Winchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 05:49 PM

134 posts, read 219,019 times
Buying in Lexington is definitely not easy because of low inventory/competition in sub-1 million range. In the last couple years, of all my friends (5,6 couples) who wants to move here only 1 actually managed to buy here (top out 9 other offers). Others end in different but equally nice towns (Newton/Belmont/Winchester etc). I hope as spring market goes on you can find something you like. But as 3cents said, you may need to adjust your expectation for your house.

I have a friend who think long and hard recently, and decided to continue renting (in Winchester). Maybe continue renting is an option for you?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:45 AM

60 posts, read 90,510 times
Still waiting for the spring market (and the spring weather). Our agent told us that from next week many more houses will pop up . We are actually really starting to think that we might rent for another year - problem is the landlord last year told us that if he won't sell this year he'll probably raise the rent another 200$ a month (which is ridiculous).

Old 04-21-2014, 12:51 PM

I live in Winchester. I'm still not sure what the OP meant by wanting a "nice house". If it meant new construction, then I can assure you that's not going to happen in Winchester, until you are looking at the ballpark of $1.5 million and up. Perhaps it will be easier for us, if the OP points us to a few examples of houses in $850K range, that won't cut it from her point of view.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:52 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
I get rent increases of $100 a month in east somerville in 1 bedroom apartments. And have for years. A decade almost,

Rent increases of $200 for a multi bedroom place in a place like winchester is nothing. Sorry. It is reality now.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM

The OP budget is $850K. This just came onto Winchester, and I think this is pretty good at $750K: 24 Raymond Pl, Winchester. What does the OP think?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
The OP budget is $850K. This just came onto Winchester, and I think this is pretty good at $750K: 24 Raymond Pl, Winchester. What does the OP think?
yes i saw this one. i though it looked very nice. Problem is pictures are sometimes deceiving. I mean you also have to consider the location, i mean... what's near at...

I have to say....thanks google maps, sometimes I avoid to be disappointed....

Old 04-23-2014, 02:25 PM

You mean the transfer station? Only potential issue is do the sniff test. I encourage you to drive to 24 Raymond Pl, on a Saturday morning or afternoon (transfer station closes at 4pm on Sat), and see if you can smell anything.

But of course, if you are more concerned about getting more yard space or more leafy curb appeal, then yes, you might want to look at Vincent Owen or Ambrose area of Winchester.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:33 AM

So, didn't get the house in Winchester, not the two we bid for in Lexington. Looks like the market for buyers is even worst than last year. Houses go EASILY 100K above asking price.....
We can stay in this house for another year so I am a bit more relaxed now but I doubt the situation will improve next year....

Anyway if we can' t find something by the end of June then we' ll have to rent for another year.not happy.

On the other hand I don't want to buy at all cost and then having to regret my decision when it's too late. Plus my husband is telling me I am too picky and we would have a house if I only could compromise more.
i said no to the house near the power plant. I said to to the house on a VERY busy street (very noisy inside too). I said no to the house he likes now (next door to a cemetery). Am I too picky?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Maybe, but it is a big investment.

Why no to the cemetery? It would be quite on the side... I would hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts