Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:25 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,601,470 times

Advertisements

If you're looking for a 4BR because you plan to use 3 beds and 1 as an office, many of the New England housing styles have a designed office space and/or lots of other living space. It will be easier to find a 3BR at that price point than a 4, in part b/c in my experience it's fairly rare to see a 4BR SFH on the rental market at any price.

I'm not familiar with SLC architecture in particular, but in the PacNW if you want 3 BR and an office, sure, you often do need a 4BR. In New England, that's going to be less the case. Of course, if you actually really need 4 designated BR for beds, then you're going to be restricted.

As for where to look, you have some options. The 'best' Boston burbs are probably too pricey, but you could look around Newburyport/Amesbury, or Providence/North Attleboro, or west to Middlesex.

I love NH in many ways, but I'm not sure you're going to get into a good district (Exeter, Hollis, Bedford, etc.) at that price. Even Concord NH is going to be a challenge, though possible. You may not pay the property tax directly but it will be bound up in the rental price. And on the whole, most people buy SFH there, not rent, so prices can stay up b/c there's no glut in rental supply. Condos/townhomes you'll see more of, but still not a ton. And plus, you may be used to SLC winters, but I think a winter in NH may still shock you (colder and more snow/slush). On the bright side, there are no pollution/inversions, just a bit of acid rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 11:57 AM

Edit - though NH doesn't have a general income tax. So if you re-evaulate rent/utils as a component of total tax burden it may make sense to look at whether floating above your target rental price ultimately might save money. On the flip side, MA lets you deduct some rent expense from their income tax.

Once you get down to 3-4 options, you may want to spend $100 on a tax accountant to help you figure out how much it would actually cost net in each of those places once you factor in housing plus various state/local taxes. Alas, this is the wrong time of year to be doing that as most will be swamped for the next 5-6 weeks.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 AM

11 posts, read 11,566 times
I really can't thank you guys enough for all of your input! Right as we were about to book our tickets to head out to Mass & NH to have a look around, my husbands job asked him to move to Colorado for a few years. So looks like we'll be booking tickets for there instead. Looking forward to heading out East when we are able to, but for now our adventure will be taking us to Co

Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 AM

Good luck on the Front Range!

Old 03-24-2014, 04:48 PM

11 posts, read 11,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Good luck on the Front Range!
Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts