Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 03:25 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No one says you suffered by not having relatives when you were growing up but to a lot of people it means a lot.
It can have real tangible value in addition to emotional value. Try getting married and raising kids 1,000 miles away from family/friends. You miss out on a lot of free child care that way, which either means paying more for care, or never getting time away from your kids. And then needing to pay for therapy

Not to mention, if you do travel home regularly to see family and friends, that cost can add up. So you need the right situation or a very significant savings to really come out ahead - moving away has advantages, but also some pretty significant disadvantages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 04:18 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Well, I can't imagine, I mean I suppose it happens, but I surely never saw my brother/SIL using family for free child care when they lived in the area. I doubt my mother would have wanted to be taken advantage of like that. Anyway, each to their own. I suppose if the families really want to stay together they can all move to cheaper places if it is the priority.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:23 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, I can't imagine, I mean I suppose it happens, but I surely never saw my brother/SIL using family for free child care when they lived in the area. I doubt my mother would have wanted to be taken advantage of like that. Anyway, each to their own.
You describe a family that seems happiest at arm's length from each other.

To each their own.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:45 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Somerville has its share of hipsters, but honestly they are usually short-term renters. The homeowners here in West Somerville are usually a combination of long term locals, artsy types that bought or started renting 15-20 years ago, MANY non-profit types, and then the highest paid are the IT and Biotech workers.

We moved here 6 years ago and it's really an amazing place to live but also to raise a family. If you like ditching the car for walkability, diversity, and exposing your kids to a huge variety of things, it can't be beat. The elementary schools are actually much better than the current perception, and many young families are catching on to this and sticking around.

Oh, and they mayor rocks, check out his Facebook stuff:
https://www.facebook.com/jcurtatone/...79418788819924

Old 05-20-2014, 12:24 PM

15 posts, read 35,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
You describe a family that seems happiest at arm's length from each other.

To each their own.
Exactly. My MIL drives an hour to watch my kids once a week. My entire immediate family lives within an hour. The majority of my husband's immediate family lives within 90 minutes.

I've lived in many different places and have traveled around the world. Pretty sure there's nothing "myopic" about wanting g my kids to grow up actually knowing their relatives.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:34 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post

Oh, and they mayor rocks, check out his Facebook stuff:

I respectfully disagree... He is the figurehead for the displacement of long term residents to gentrification. Nevermind that awful Assembly Row development with all large multi-national corporations and $3500/mo studios...

Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
He is the figurehead for the displacement of long term residents to gentrification.

What would like him to do? Keep it a less desirable place to live so the rents keep down?

Mind you, I'm getting prices out. I've moved from West to East Somerville over the years because of the rent increases, but I'm ok with that. I wouldn't want the place to be kept unsafe or less desirable just so I can stay there.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:55 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What would like him to do? Keep it a less desirable place to live so the rents keep down?

Mind you, I'm getting prices out. I've moved from West to East Somerville over the years because of the rent increases, but I'm ok with that. I wouldn't want the place to be kept unsafe or less desirable just so I can stay there.

Somerville has been gentrifying for years now, it is just reaching an uncontrollable pace with no end in sight. Instead of focusing on developer kickbacks from large high end and mixed-use developments, he should be focusing on zoning for more "normal" housing. People with lots of money can afford to stay, and people with subsidies can afford to stay. The huge gap between these two demographics is being forced out or made to pay a larger percentage of their income on rent, and a lot of people aren't happy with the direction he is taking things.

I do agree with you on making it a great place to live, and that it comes at a price. But what is happening is gentrification and a half.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM

204 posts, read 286,479 times
Yes, I think there's ample middle ground between unsafe/undesirable and luxury condo craziness that no one but the very top earners can possibly afford.

I see it as a bell curve. Gentrification is a positive thing up to a certain point, and then beyond that it starts to have negative effects. I worry that an entire city made up of the top and bottom ends with no middle (and from what prompted this thread, even the near-bottom end is getting pushed out) could have a tough time staying economically and culturally healthy.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:19 PM

560 posts, read 751,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Somerville has been gentrifying for years now, it is just reaching an uncontrollable pace with no end in sight. Instead of focusing on developer kickbacks from large high end and mixed-use developments, he should be focusing on zoning for more "normal" housing. People with lots of money can afford to stay, and people with subsidies can afford to stay. The huge gap between these two demographics is being forced out or made to pay a larger percentage of their income on rent, and a lot of people aren't happy with the direction he is taking things.

I do agree with you on making it a great place to live, and that it comes at a price. But what is happening is gentrification and a half.
Somerville was bound to turn into that. its too close to the city to stay a cheap crappy place forever. For it to turn into a nice place you need money and that comes from the overpriced condo development. the only way to keep it "middle class" is to artificially depress rents which helps no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts