Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:38 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Actually, as a still fairly young woman, I won't disagree with you. Yes, I know you were being rhetorical but - have you ever been molested on the T? More than once? Been catcalled from a moving vehicle? Been stalked at your workplace by a customer who mistook friendly for something more? Had anyone approach you out of nowhere - in daylight - and aggressively hit on you? Then again, I don't know anywhere that these things don't happen, sadly...
To answer your question- no. As a 28 year old guy, I've never had any of those things happen to me (at least not to the degree where I felt unsafe). I also agree with you that it's a problem anywhere. However, I don't see where Marylou's plays into that. Are you saying that Marylou's encourages "creepy" guys to do those things? As if the problem would somehow be less pronounced without Marylou's?

Quote:
But yes, I take your meaning, their employees are not all high schoolers, and certainly not all customers are there for the wrong reasons. But then again - why market to the ones who are? Where are the commercials for the middle school kids and minivan moms who apparently make up their customer base ?
To take the employee thing a bit further, some Marylou's employees have come out calling the accusations about discrimination "riduculous" (an example: Former employee discusses Marylou's Coffee culture - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston ). As far as the marketing, I went and watched some of the commercials again to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Most of them are incredibly innocuous. A number of them focus on painting Marylou's as better coffee than Dunkin or Honey Dew, a few had couples, or women as customers, and one had different scenes with all types of different local workers (salon stylists, firefighters, etc.), and a few focused on hot coffee in cold weather. While they're not directly targeting middle school kids and minivan moms (I don't think anyone said that those two demographics made up their entire customer base), it's a pretty broad audience that the ads were intended for. As a single straight guy, not one of them appeared to be even close to sexy. When you throw in the music and bad lip syncing, they're downright annoying.

Quote:
We must go to different places.

Actually that is probably my flaw in this thread - I've never been to Hooters so I may be judging based upon what Hooters looks like to an outsider (is it worse?)
I think that's the issue. And I doubt you're the only person in this thread making the comparison without having been to Hooters. The outfits are just the tip of the iceberg (they're way worse at hooters... cheeks hanging out the bottom and extremely tight, low cut tops). It's the atmosphere that's different. The name and logo (Owl's eyes? Yeah. Right.) set an incredibly suggestive tone. The servers are scantily clad and trained to be flirtatious. I'm not talking about smiling and batting eyelashes. They're trained to sit down with the customers, be touchy and make suggestive comments ("Do you want your ketchup on the side or on top? I like it on top!" *wink*).

There are plenty of people who stop by Marylou's on the way to work because it's convenient or they just don't like Dunkin. Nobody goes to Hooters because it's "convenient" or the food is stellar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Nobody goes to Hooters because it's "convenient" or the food is stellar.
Their wings are tough to beat though.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:35 PM

675 posts, read 1,699,682 times
Quote:
To answer your question- no. As a 28 year old guy, I've never had any of those things happen to me (at least not to the degree where I felt unsafe). I also agree with you that it's a problem anywhere. However, I don't see where Marylou's plays into that. Are you saying that Marylou's encourages "creepy" guys to do those things? As if the problem would somehow be less pronounced without Marylou's?
I was merely replying to your words, "I think we have a serious problem with perverted, oogling men in this area." But while we're on the subject it does make me nervous that if there are skeevy guys going to Marylou's because the ads make them think the counter help is there for them to ogle, that they'll end up hanging around once a shift is over to get more "friendly" - which concerns me anyway but especially if the help is vulnerable teenaged girls. And unfortunately this can (and does) happen anywhere but why put out a welcome mat?

Quote:
To take the employee thing a bit further, some Marylou's employees have come out calling the accusations about discrimination "riduculous" (an example: Former employee discusses Marylou's Coffee culture - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston ). As far as the marketing, I went and watched some of the commercials again to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Most of them are incredibly innocuous. A number of them focus on painting Marylou's as better coffee than Dunkin or Honey Dew, a few had couples, or women as customers, and one had different scenes with all types of different local workers (salon stylists, firefighters, etc.), and a few focused on hot coffee in cold weather. While they're not directly targeting middle school kids and minivan moms (I don't think anyone said that those two demographics made up their entire customer base), it's a pretty broad audience that the ads were intended for. As a single straight guy, not one of them appeared to be even close to sexy. When you throw in the music and bad lip syncing, they're downright annoying.
I have heard the employees dismissing it but have heard a couple of former employees saying that it's right on. Truth might be somewhere in-between - it does seem like Marylou's treats its employees fairly well.

Nobody said the entire customer base was middle school kids or minivan moms, but every time someone points out the chain's marketing the defense is always, "Kids come here! Moms come here!"

And yeah, many of the commercials are guilty of nothing more than some cheesiness, but those few like the treadmill and beach one are a bit much. And what got me on this to start with was the photos at their drive-through - young girl holding a platter of pastries at breast level? Chesty pose with a drink? Of the two things featured in those photos, which one are they selling? As a mother of a daughter, I don't need to see that before having my morning wake-me-up.

Quote:
I think that's the issue. And I doubt you're the only person in this thread making the comparison without having been to Hooters. The outfits are just the tip of the iceberg (they're way worse at hooters... cheeks hanging out the bottom and extremely tight, low cut tops). It's the atmosphere that's different. The name and logo (Owl's eyes? Yeah. Right.) set an incredibly suggestive tone. The servers are scantily clad and trained to be flirtatious. I'm not talking about smiling and batting eyelashes. They're trained to sit down with the customers, be touchy and make suggestive comments ("Do you want your ketchup on the side or on top? I like it on top!" *wink*).
Ok, ew. Maybe I should change the title of this thread. That kind of thing exists in 2014?

Quote:
There are plenty of people who stop by Marylou's on the way to work because it's convenient or they just don't like Dunkin. Nobody goes to Hooters because it's "convenient" or the food is stellar.
I thought they had a reputation for their wings? Although the maybe the buffalo wings at Hooters are just the equivalent of the Norman Mailer article in Playboy.

While we're on the subject I think the #1 reason why I won't be patronizing Marylou's - even though it is convenient and I don't love Dunkin - is that after multiple tries I didn't enjoy the drinks or the food. I guess I'm just voting with my minivan tires.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Their wings are tough to beat though.
I almost posted the same thing as a joke. It's the dining equivalent of, "I ready playboy for the articles." P
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
I was merely replying to your words, "I think we have a serious problem with perverted, oogling men in this area." But while we're on the subject it does make me nervous that if there are skeevy guys going to Marylou's because the ads make them think the counter help is there for them to ogle, that they'll end up hanging around once a shift is over to get more "friendly" - which concerns me anyway but especially if the help is vulnerable teenaged girls. And unfortunately this can (and does) happen anywhere but why put out a welcome mat?
Yeah, this type of thing drives me nuts. There was a convenience store in my hometown that was notorious for hiring pretty young girls for the registers and lonely old men would come in and spend all day playing scratch tickets and saying creepy things. Turnover was high, to say the least.

Quote:
I have heard the employees dismissing it but have heard a couple of former employees saying that it's right on. Truth might be somewhere in-between - it does seem like Marylou's treats its employees fairly well.
The truth is most definitely somewhere between. For all the things I said in defense of Marylou's, I've never seen a guy working the counter. And while Dunkin and Honey Dew have mostly female employees, I've seen far more guys working the counter. It could be that I've spent much more time in those other places than Marylou's but I doubt it.

Quote:
Nobody said the entire customer base was middle school kids or minivan moms, but every time someone points out the chain's marketing the defense is always, "Kids come here! Moms come here!"
I think that's just to illustrate the difference between Hooters and Marylou's. While you (surprisingly) still see families in Hooters, there are far, far, far more men and the ogling part is expected and supported, not just tolerated.

Quote:
And yeah, many of the commercials are guilty of nothing more than some cheesiness, but those few like the treadmill and beach one are a bit much. And what got me on this to start with was the photos at their drive-through - young girl holding a platter of pastries at breast level? Chesty pose with a drink? Of the two things featured in those photos, which one are they selling? As a mother of a daughter, I don't need to see that before having my morning wake-me-up.

Ok, ew. Maybe I should change the title of this thread. That kind of thing exists in 2014?
To be clear, I wasn't supporting Marylou's so much as I was trying to illustrate the fact that there's a big difference between the two. Both are suggestive to a degree, but definitely different levels. Marylou's is the equivalent of getting a haircut, throwing on a little extra cologne, and leaving one extra button on your shirt undone before a date. Hooters is the equivalent of dimming the lights, playing Barry White, and coming out of the bathroom wearing nothing but a leopard print thong (I don't want to give away my go-to move, but I feel it contributes to the discussion). Both are trying to get a certain type of attention, but one is a little less subtle.

Quote:
I thought they had a reputation for their wings? Although the maybe the buffalo wings at Hooters are just the equivalent of the Norman Mailer article in Playboy.
The wings aren't terrible (though just about every bar or pub around has comparable or better wings), but that's a pretty safe comparison.

Quote:
While we're on the subject I think the #1 reason why I won't be patronizing Marylou's - even though it is convenient and I don't love Dunkin - is that after multiple tries I didn't enjoy the drinks or the food. I guess I'm just voting with my minivan tires.
That's my issue with Marylou's too. I'm not a huge coffee drinker to begin with, but I think behind all the pink and controversy, it's a mediocre coffee shop. I haven't been to a Marylou's in probably 5 years. If I have the option between Marylou's, Honey Dew, Starbucks, Dunkin, etc.... I'd probably just pick whichever was the closest and easiest to get in/out of.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 PM

675 posts, read 1,699,682 times
Can't rep you again lrfox - or any of the other folks I haven't already rep'd - but this has been a pleasant and enlightening conversation.

(That sounds like sarcasm, it isn't, really!)

Old 04-10-2014, 09:37 PM

40 posts, read 79,156 times
If you are buying coffee just to ogle underage girls...
Weirdo and/or fool...

Old 04-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle925 View Post
If you are buying coffee just to ogle underage girls...
Weirdo and/or fool...
Well I happen to dig the trailer trash down at my local Cumbies (so I guess I'm off the hook!). Someone should investigate them for playing up the tattoo fetish thing!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
The truth is most definitely somewhere between. For all the things I said in defense of Marylou's, I've never seen a guy working the counter. And while Dunkin and Honey Dew have mostly female employees, I've seen far more guys working the counter. It could be that I've spent much more time in those other places than Marylou's but I doubt it.
I have noticed this becoming more commonplace over the past decade or so. Those places it used to be rare to see male as well, probably has to do with the erosion of the more traditional "male" jobs. I have to say that I would feel weird working in a "girly" environment like Marylou's (although maybe not so when I was 19).

Quote:
The wings aren't terrible (though just about every bar or pub around has comparable or better wings), but that's a pretty safe comparison.
Kidding aside, I've actually had trouble replicating the "911" wings there. Probably the one place that has outdone them (by my tongue) for "hot hot" wings is the Boynton in Worcester.

Quote:
If I have the option between Marylou's, Honey Dew, Starbucks, Dunkin, etc.... I'd probably just pick whichever was the closest and easiest to get in/out of.
I'd pick McDonalds on most days, can't beat the price either.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I have noticed this becoming more commonplace over the past decade or so. Those places it used to be rare to see male as well, probably has to do with the erosion of the more traditional "male" jobs. I have to say that I would feel weird working in a "girly" environment like Marylou's (although maybe not so when I was 19).
My best friend worked at Dunkin Donuts from age 15-18. He was the only guy among a bunch of girls (mostly comparable in age). He absolutely loved it. I agree though, it seems to be more commonplace for guys to work in jobs like that now.

Quote:
Kidding aside, I've actually had trouble replicating the "911" wings there. Probably the one place that has outdone them (by my tongue) for "hot hot" wings is the Boynton in Worcester.
If you're down that way, try the wings at St. James Irish Pub in Fall River. The Hibernian wings are VERY hot (in my opinion) and the Old Wesley are dangerously hot (I can't make it through a basket of 6). I've never tried the Boynton. I guess I'll have to now. I love hot wings.

Quote:
I'd pick McDonalds on most days, can't beat the price either.
McDonald's isn't bad at all. As embarrassed as I am to admit it, I almost always get Cumberland Farms coffee when I actually get coffee. It's not terrible and it's dirt cheap. Plus I have full control over how the extras (sugar/cream, etc.) are added. I also use the Smart Pay app for gas (saves $0.10 per gallon, so it's pretty nice) and I get a few free coffees and other drinks every month.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
If you're down that way, try the wings at St. James Irish Pub in Fall River. The Hibernian wings are VERY hot (in my opinion) and the Old Wesley are dangerously hot (I can't make it through a basket of 6). I've never tried the Boynton. I guess I'll have to now. I love hot wings.
The first Horseneck day this summer, I guess I know where I'll be afterwards.

At the Boynton, the promotion is a free T-shirt if you can eat 12 in one sitting (only beer or water to drink). They are of the "ghost pepper" variety. My tongue was still numb the next morning.

Quote:
McDonald's isn't bad at all. As embarrassed as I am to admit it, I almost always get Cumberland Farms coffee when I actually get coffee. It's not terrible and it's dirt cheap. Plus I have full control over how the extras (sugar/cream, etc.) are added. I also use the Smart Pay app for gas (saves $0.10 per gallon, so it's pretty nice) and I get a few free coffees and other drinks every month.
I'll often go to Cumberland Farms, it just isn't the most consistent (at my local one anyway). Some days it will rival the previously mentioned places, other times it will be terrible. I see them changing it all the time, my guess is they don't clean the pots properly or something. I had signed up for the Smart Pay, then realizing the 5% cash back my credit cards gave me was a better deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts