U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2006, 12:40 PM

5,835 posts, read 4,801,567 times

Advertisements

If you had a choice of living only in Lexington or Newton and you have a 13 year old going into high school, which would you choose and why? We are an active family that likes to get out and about in the city,etc. We have four small dogs and need to rent for now. Currently renting a small condo in California for $2100. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 08:13 PM

38 posts, read 117,937 times
Default Perhaps Newton!

I'm thinking Newton, mainly, because you mentioned enjoying going into the city. Newton is right near Boston. Definitely closer than Lexington. Both towns have outstanding school districts, so you won't go wrong with either one. I'm not very familiar with Lexington, but I think they have a quaint downtown area. Maybe someone out there can give you a little more information on Lexington.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:45 AM

6 posts, read 26,563 times
We used to live in Lexington - we rented there for years before buying a home. The reason we didn't buy in Lexington is that while we were there a case involving the school system got a lot of publicity and divided the town in terms of social politics. It stemmed from an incident where a kindergarten student came home and told his parents that his teacher had read a story to the class about "two kings" as in, two men who were married (this was right after gay marriage was approved in Mass). A very long and involved legal battle ensued, and this has been a very hot debate in that town.

My point is this - do your research about the schools, but also speak to people about their political and social beliefs. If you are very conservative, I think you would likely prefer Newton to Lexington. If you are more liberal, Lexington is a lovely town and you would probably like it very much.

Both have excellent school systems and it's great that you have such good options.

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:47 AM

6 posts, read 26,563 times
Default Lexington is nice, if you're not a conservative

We used to live in Lexington - we rented there for years before buying a home. The reason we didn't buy in Lexington is that while we were there a case involving the school system got a lot of publicity and divided the town in terms of social politics. It stemmed from an incident where a kindergarten student came home and told his parents that his teacher had read a story to the class about "two kings" as in, two men who were married (this was right after gay marriage was approved in Mass). A very long and involved legal battle ensued, and this has been a very hot debate in that town.

My point is this - do your research about the schools, but also speak to people about their political and social beliefs. If you are very conservative, I think you would likely prefer Newton to Lexington. If you are more liberal, Lexington is a lovely town and you would probably like it very much.

Both have excellent school systems and it's great that you have such good options.

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:50 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,078,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
If you had a choice of living only in Lexington or Newton and you have a 13 year old going into high school, which would you choose and why? We are an active family that likes to get out and about in the city,etc. We have four small dogs and need to rent for now. Currently renting a small condo in California for $2100. Thanks in advance.
You also could check ou Concord, which is real nice. It is next to Lexington. Howecver, you won''t go wrong with Newton.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:33 PM

12 posts, read 32,725 times
hmmm Newton/Wellesley or Lexington/Bedford ?? both areas are great choices! Either way I guess you can't go wrong. Good Luck!

Old 10-25-2006, 09:58 PM

Question newton,lexington

Thank you all for your feedback. I do know what Lexington is like having lived there for a year, but I do not know if Newton has the same neighborhood feel with parks and neighborhood stores to stroll around. I know it is much larger than Lexington but is it more urban being so close to Boston? I've never lived in a city, only suburbs in Ca.,Va. and Ma. and a little apprehensive about being so close to a city. Need I be?

Old 10-28-2006, 04:25 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,205,671 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your feedback. I do know what Lexington is like having lived there for a year, but I do not know if Newton has the same neighborhood feel with parks and neighborhood stores to stroll around. I know it is much larger than Lexington but is it more urban being so close to Boston? I've never lived in a city, only suburbs in Ca.,Va. and Ma. and a little apprehensive about being so close to a city. Need I be?
MA is small. You know Lexington is only minutes away from Waltham (a big city). If you think living close to the Waltham line, it is fairly close to what living in Newton is like.

Newton has 7 villages. They all have very different feels. If you like Lexington (white picket fence) and small town feels, there are certainly areas in Newton with the same things.

Btw, that principal that the other person was talking about just moved to Sudbury school (a much more liberal town). Newton is more conservative than Lexington. Just imagine how conservative Newton is. ha ha. I'm going to get a lot of feedback on this one.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:01 AM

I thought Newton had 13 villages? I've been told by friends to stay away from Chestnut Hill due to snootiness,West Newton for property crime/vandalism,Auberndale because it is hard to get to Newton South w/traffic.....Obviously, we are going to make a trip their before we move. I just want to have it narrowed down before that. What makes Newton so conservative? Being from California, that might be a welcome change. I really didn't notice any obvious liberal or conservative folks in Lexington...didn't talk politics or religion if I could help it. In general, it felt a bit stiffer than Ca. in attitute and dress. Again, I don't mind this as long as no one pushes their beliefs on me.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:09 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,205,671 times
Quote:
I thought Newton had 13 villages? I've been told by friends to stay away from Chestnut Hill due to snootiness,West Newton for property crime/vandalism,Auberndale because it is hard to get to Newton South w/traffic.....Obviously, we are going to make a trip their before we move. I just want to have it narrowed down before that. What makes Newton so conservative? Being from California, that might be a welcome change. I really didn't notice any obvious liberal or conservative folks in Lexington...didn't talk politics or religion if I could help it. In general, it felt a bit stiffer than Ca. in attitute and dress. Again, I don't mind this as long as no one pushes their beliefs on me.
You are right. It should be 13 villages.

I do not live in Newton. I am not familiar with all villages to suggest anything.

West Newton I though goes to Newton North. Most of the area south of RT30 are nice. Just look at the bus map of Newton South. Contact the school for a list if you have trouble accessing the school/district website.

My friend lives in Newton Highland. Not the best neighborhood but the price is right. Only cheap area that goes to Newton South.

Chestnut Hill is consider more snooty because condos sells around $500k and up. If you know the people as a person, many are not that snooty.

On the other hand, the reason why Newton South has better test score is because students have richer and more educated parents. These two factors correlate well with test scores. They can afford supplemental help like tuitor.

Sorry cannot help much.

Last edited by smarty; 10-28-2006 at 10:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts