Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 AM

51 posts, read 65,012 times

Advertisements

South Shore could be a great fit. Relatively easy access to Boston via ferry (20-30 mins from Hingham or Hull, runs year-round) or Greenbush commuter train (~45 mins from Hingham area). We find the T from Quincy also a good option on weekends when train/ferry not running, or to pick someone up who is coming in from South Station. If your schedule lines up you can even take the ferry from Hull to Logan Airport directly, which is a fantastic option. And while the traffic on 93 is indeed a nightmare during weekday rush hour, it is only a 30-40 min drive to Logan or downtown otherwise.

If you head towards the south shore, definitely check out Hingham, Hull, Cohasset and Scituate as they all have different vibes and different neighborhoods/housing stock.

I live in Hull and love the town, beaches and community feeling. There are a lot of families and also a lot of empty nesters, in my neighborhood it is about 50/50. Hull has thriving (and still growing) restaurant and arts scene, new community garden starting this year, everyone lives close to at least one beautiful beach or another. Most of us locals don't use the state run beach in the summer, which can get overrun, as there are dozens of resident beaches (not restricted really, but due to lack of parking become more 'neighborhood beaches.') Hull is dense, so if you are looking for privacy or large lot you'd be hard pressed to find that here. But the benefit to this density is this is still a town where people know their neighbors, look out for each other (and each other's kids), kid's shovel the elderly neighbors drive, etc. And everyone walks around, neighborhoods or the beach, it is a very walking friendly town (all year.)

And I know OP is maybe not concerned with schools, but some people reading this thread may be, so I have to respond to Beachcomber4's comment about schools. I am frustrated when people keep perpetuating the myth that Hull schools are not great. I have 1 (soon to be 2) kids in elementary here and am very pleased (and both my husband and I are highly educated, academic types). The teachers are excellent, the other families and students are friendly, engaged and supportive of each other, the school buildings are all new and beautiful, the class sizes are small. I could go on... Hull High school was just ranked #39 in the state by US News, only 5 behind Hingham (#34) and in fact 1 above Newton North (#40.) Scituate High wasn't even ranked. I'm not trying to start a school war, and I take these rankings with a grain of salt, but it's just not true that Hull schools are not great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 12:40 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazil View Post

And I know OP is maybe not concerned with schools, but some people reading this thread may be, so I have to respond to Beachcomber4's comment about schools. I am frustrated when people keep perpetuating the myth that Hull schools are not great. I have 1 (soon to be 2) kids in elementary here and am very pleased (and both my husband and I are highly educated, academic types). The teachers are excellent, the other families and students are friendly, engaged and supportive of each other, the school buildings are all new and beautiful, the class sizes are small. I could go on... Hull High school was just ranked #39 in the state by US News, only 5 behind Hingham (#34) and in fact 1 above Newton North (#40.) Scituate High wasn't even ranked. I'm not trying to start a school war, and I take these rankings with a grain of salt, but it's just not true that Hull schools are not great!

All of the kudos you are giving to Hull's schools are very important factors in choosing a school that fits your individual family and it's wonderful you are happy in Hull and even think the schools are great. For the record, I would not have sent my own kids to Hingham High. It was not an atmosphere I would have wanted for them. So while rankings and test scores are lovely to have as bragging rights and quite honestly, help a kid who wants to attend college out of state to a college that is not familiar with that child's high school they are terrific. But a school and community that fits the needs of your individual student and mirrors your values as family is far more important- the rest can and will come . It sounds like you have found that in Hull.

That all having been said I still don't think Hull schools are great. I also don't think the Olive Garden is great either but many people do. Maybe my "okay" is their "great" or visa versa. Just know it's not a quantitative term and I don't mean to hurt your feelings.

But there are a few things I want to point out that work against your argument. First, it's very possible Scituate wasn't even ranked because they did not choose to submit an application to be considered. This list is like a beauty pageant. You have to enter to be considered- doesn't mean if you don't enter you aren't attractive and doesn't mean the winner is the most attractive person in the world- just on the stage. Hull stepped up on the stage and got a sash.

Check out this thread - here is an actual comment- made by another academic type.

"One can argue that these rankings are totally bogus anyways considering they ranked Hull above Newton, LOL."

OUCH

Here is the thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...h-state-3.html

Finally, there is this. Yes, these test scores were used as part of the criteria for ranking so we also have to consider them. According to this, one school would be considered to have done great and the other averagish. No myths here.

GRADE 10 MCAS STATE RANKINGS:

Hingham
English 1/354
Math 32/354
Science 20/354

Hull
English 182/354
Math 229/354
Science 121/344

Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
Newburyport

Rock port

Gloucester

Manchester

Essex

Ipswich

Swampscott

Marblehead

Nahant

Beverly

Salem

North Shore is interesting all over, from Historic New England properties, to Trustees of Reservations, to festivals in every town. Every town compliments another and has something to offer, all within an hour of Boston.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
All of the kudos you are giving to Hull's schools are very important factors in choosing a school that fits your individual family and it's wonderful you are happy in Hull and even think the schools are great. For the record, I would not have sent my own kids to Hingham High. It was not an atmosphere I would have wanted for them. So while rankings and test scores are lovely to have as bragging rights and quite honestly, help a kid who wants to attend college out of state to a college that is not familiar with that child's high school they are terrific. But a school and community that fits the needs of your individual student and mirrors your values as family is far more important- the rest can and will come . It sounds like you have found that in Hull.

That all having been said I still don't think Hull schools are great. I also don't think the Olive Garden is great either but many people do. Maybe my "okay" is their "great" or visa versa. Just know it's not a quantitative term and I don't mean to hurt your feelings.

But there are a few things I want to point out that work against your argument. First, it's very possible Scituate wasn't even ranked because they did not choose to submit an application to be considered. This list is like a beauty pageant. You have to enter to be considered- doesn't mean if you don't enter you aren't attractive and doesn't mean the winner is the most attractive person in the world- just on the stage. Hull stepped up on the stage and got a sash.

Check out this thread - here is an actual comment- made by another academic type.

"One can argue that these rankings are totally bogus anyways considering they ranked Hull above Newton, LOL."

OUCH

Here is the thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...h-state-3.html

Finally, there is this. Yes, these test scores were used as part of the criteria for ranking so we also have to consider them. According to this, one school would be considered to have done great and the other averagish. No myths here.

GRADE 10 MCAS STATE RANKINGS:

Hingham
English 1/354
Math 32/354
Science 20/354

Hull
English 182/354
Math 229/354
Science 121/344
Rankings don't show the actual results, which are for English/Math:

Hull 92/58
Hingham 99/94

As you can see the difference in English is not very significant. In math Hull is close to state average (61), although far from the top. Wouldn't call it a bad result, just about avearage, which can be acceptable to many people.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Fascinating debate, but since the OP are empty nesters, perhaps we should save the Hull/Hingham school debate for another thread and for now just agree to disagree.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:49 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
As always, lots of good suggestions from Konfecta, but I am going to try one of her posts from several months ago--it was a very informative, and might be very interesting for the OP to read through. I'll repost it if/when I find it!

I also wanted to mention that since the OP did mention that they were interested in a walkable town, Newburyport would also fit that wish--it is rated as a 95 (A Walker's Paradise) on walkscore.com:
Newburyport MA - Walk Score

OK, so a little edit here. Just wanted to make it clear that the walkscore above is for the downtown area, and that not all areas of town are going to be this close to conveniences. While most neighborhoods of Newburyport are walk-friendly, walking to do daily errands from many of these neighborhoods is just not realistic. Just wanted to put that out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post

North Shore is interesting all over, from Historic New England properties, to Trustees of Reservations, to festivals in every town. Every town compliments another and has something to offer, all within an hour of Boston.

Last edited by Valerie C; 05-02-2014 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-03-2014, 04:57 PM

50 posts, read 111,514 times
All of the comments are fantastic...seems like we have a few things to consider. More of a generalization, but the North Shore areas (notably Marblehead, Newburyport) have great walking areas, super downtowns. South Shore, better beaches, nice, but smaller downtowns (shopping, restaurants).

We have noticed Hull - looks laid back, an important factor. Must be busy in the summer, opposite in Winter?

One of the challenges we are facing, notably on south shore properties, near shore, is the changing FEMA maps - lot of properties on flood zones. Either pay for insurance, or raise the property.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:00 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,880 times
Yeah, in the last few years there have been some huge storms with a lot of flooding, unfortunately.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:22 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightlines View Post
All of the comments are fantastic...seems like we have a few things to consider. More of a generalization, but the North Shore areas (notably Marblehead, Newburyport) have great walking areas, super downtowns. South Shore, better beaches, nice, but smaller downtowns (shopping, restaurants).

We have noticed Hull - looks laid back, an important factor. Must be busy in the summer, opposite in Winter?

One of the challenges we are facing, notably on south shore properties, near shore, is the changing FEMA maps - lot of properties on flood zones. Either pay for insurance, or raise the property.
I'm renting by the coast so that doesn't impact me directly, although I pay insurance through my rent.
This house was purchased by the landlord about four years ago and he checked carefully concerning the flood zones. This place is safe and it proved to be safe throughout the disastrous storms of last winter.

New construction has to be raised up so any water could run under it. Don't quote me, but I think you mostly need to check about the flood zone first before buying. The sea will always reclaim the land. We lose coastline every year. The homes that are right on the water may not be there in 25 years, the homes that are further back may not be there in 100 years. I'm in a 100 year flood zone and I'm not going to be here in 100 years anyway. If you choose wisely and are careful, you can live by the coast. I feel bad and sometimes a little bit annoyed by the people who plopped an expensive house near a beach 50 years ago and now it's ready to fall into the water. I've seen it at the Cape all my life and I'm seeing it on the north shore.
The sea will take it at some point in time. I would do a lot of checking on flood zones and insurance and make sure you're on safe ground.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:32 PM

50 posts, read 111,514 times
Very helpful. Various towns have good links (marshfield most notably) that helps with the maps and zones. FEMA has a good interactive site too....been using it quite a bit as we look at homes close to the water - not only ocean, but marsh, river. AE, VE zones, X - lots of codes.

https://msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/stor...MapSearch.html

Surprising results - lot of properties in flood zones.

Also, I've found realtors to be less than helpful in this area. On a few properties, I have inquired about the current/proposed fema mapping zones. No real insight - probably should be a required mention in listings, but rather rare to see it.

Continuing to look around. This forum has been very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts