Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,588 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Salt Lake City to go to school in Massachusetts along with my partner. I will be going to school in Springfield and my partner will be going to school in Amherst. We'd like something halfway, but we also want something safe and with stuff to do. We're originally from Los Angeles so we're used to being in the city and having lots to do. We'd prefer some good coffee shops, bookstores, and places to eat. Looking for something not too expensive, we'll probably be in an apartment, so any good apartment complexes in any towns/cities would also be appreciated. Moving across the country is overwhelming! THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,454 times
Northampton or Easthampton would be the best mid point in terms of splitting the commute. Of the two, Northampton has much more going on in terms of coffee shops and restaurants.

I haven't priced apts. lately, but I would assume Easthampton is the more affordable, on the flip side.

Could also look at South Hadley, where there's a bubble of shops around the college, but the overall commute situation will be slower, and really south of Amherst there's less going on that side of the river, imo.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:07 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Northampton would probably be ideal--one person would just have to cross the bridge and the other would just get on rte 91 south. There is a lot to do. Incidentally, there are a lot of similar threads that you might want to check out by doing a search. It seems that someone asks a question like this about once a week.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:09 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,467 times
Northampton. No question. You may never leave. Peace.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:36 PM

122 posts, read 260,621 times
I am from western Mass and currently live in Utah and we are deciding about moving back to Western Mass. I love western Mass compared to Utah(I live in southern Utah..yuck).
Curious are you Mormon? I'm not but my husband was and Amherst has the an active LDS ward community. The other ward is in Springfield and it is pretty weak. I know a lot of Utah resident consider LDS communites when moving.

Rent will be a sticker shock compared to Utah, it will be much closer to LA then SLC area. If you are okay driving in snow or have reliable cars then I would look outside of Northampton, south Hadley, Amherst area (which are super places to live but are so expensive) and if you don't have kids then you don't have to worry about the best school districts so you have lots of options. The rent will be double or more to live in little trendy places like Northampton or Amherst. Also consider utility cost, which will shock you again compared to SLC. Now In southern Utah I pay $80 a month total for my utilites for 3300 sq ft, when I lived in Draper it was $140 for 2200 sq ft and in Longmeadow which is a nice suburb outside of springfield my bill averaged $450 a month for 1400 sq ft. Heating costs are very high so look for any rentals that might include some utlity costs.

Of course it budget is not an issue, I would rent in Northampton, south Hadley, Hadley, Amherst, longmeadow, or east longmeadow.

One thing , your quality of life will be better for sure. I went to college in South Hadley and it was a wonderful and one of my favorite places I have ever lived. Even though the rent is high, there are so many free/low cost museums, festivals, book signings, concerts, things that SLC just lacks in diversity and culture.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:56 AM

752 posts, read 1,493,112 times
I live in western MA (Holyoke) and I went to school out here in Amherst, where I lived for three years.
Definitely check out Northampton and Easthampton (though commute will be somewhat easier from Northampton to Amherst/Sringfield as I-91 goes right thru it). Like other posters mentioned, rents are higher but its worth it if you can do it...there is a bus system, PVTA which connects Northampton to Amherst and also to Springfield.

Holyoke is convenient but you must be careful as to what area of town you're looking at as some areas are fine (like the highlands, many beautiful old Victorians) and others are pretty bad (like downtown and the flats which are pretty crappy) and the rents reflect those conditions; I-91 goes right thru the highlands, but apartments are not very plentiful in that area of town as opposed to Northampton/Easthampton/Amherst...Hadley is a nice town, which sits on Rte 9 between Amherst and Northampton, so you're not very far from things yet its quieter but rents are roughly the same as its neighbors. Once you get outside Northampton/Hadley/Amherst the rents become cheaper...the towns just north of Northampton on 91 are worth considering if you want quiet and cheaper rents, but you'll be driving more to get to things. Be prepared to drive in snow and ice!

I love living out here, pretty much for the reasons many have already stated---you're about a 2-hour drive from Boston, 2.5 hrs to NY city and Long Island (Amtrak goes to either out of Springfield) and if you like outdoor things, lots of good hiking, boating, fishing, etc (Mt Tom is a good hike, also Mt Sugaloaf). One of the prettiest areas of southern New England.

Last edited by Austin023; 05-04-2014 at 01:04 AM..

Old 06-20-2014, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,588 times
Hello all: Thank you so much for the recommendations, currently we are looking at living in Springfield somewhere around Liberty Heights, what can you tell me about that area? It's closer to my school but my partner will have to commute to Amherst.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:52 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,666 times
I have come to really like the towns in the Frontier school district. (Conway, Deerfield, Sunderland, and Whatley). They give you good access to Northampton, Amherst, and Greenfield. They are far enough north so that you can use Rt 2 as your road to Boston (no tolls). High school has a good rep. Plus, if your kid is wicked smart, they could apply to Deerfield which is need blind anyways.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:43 PM

325 posts, read 924,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cquinte22 View Post
Hello all: Thank you so much for the recommendations, currently we are looking at living in Springfield somewhere around Liberty Heights, what can you tell me about that area? It's closer to my school but my partner will have to commute to Amherst.
I didn't see any comments suggesting Springfield! ... and for good reason.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:05 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
I didn't see any comments suggesting Springfield! ... and for good reason.
There are some quiet looking blocks in Liberty Heights. However, I hope the OP does not have school-age kids, and I hope they check the crime reports for the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts