Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:23 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
If I were in Marblehead and someone asked me "How can I get to Chelmsford?" I'd say "You can't get there from here."
LOL, come on, it's not that bad. I have coworkers in the office who come in from 4 different states!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 10:14 AM

404 posts, read 526,525 times
From what I hear, I need to stop complaining b/c Im not alone. Will stay put (for now). My wife thanks you.
Very useful feedback on the commute to shrews.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:33 AM

33 posts, read 58,012 times
First-I love where you live now. My husband I and I love the North Shore and take many day trips to that area!
Second-Commute sounds crazy...
You are going to want to not get home and be miserable from a commute.
My husband used to have a horrible commute, taking 90 to 95 and going through the toll booth area at that 90-95 change. He tried not to complain but I hated the commute for him. We moved to a town that suited my needs more-able to get a bigger house and more rural and now we each have about a 35-45 minute commute and he could not be happier!
You can always visit the area you love and still love where you live! BTW-we live in Stow and could not be happier [but taxes are really high]

Old 05-06-2014, 11:33 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
That commute doesn't sound too bad. I'm curious what your route home is, however. I have an office in Billerica not far from Chelmsford and I drive home to Lynnfield. I almost always take back roads and it's about 35 minutes. Depending where you are in Marblehead, I could make it there in about 60 minutes easily. You should be cutting across Wilmington, North Reading, Peabody to get home, stay off the highways.

My brother-in-law lives in Marblehead and commutes to Framingham. Now that can be a bad commute.

50 minutes each way is the average Boston area commute time.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:35 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass100 View Post
First-I love where you live now. My husband I and I love the North Shore and take many day trips to that area!
Second-Commute sounds crazy...
You are going to want to not get home and be miserable from a commute.
My husband used to have a horrible commute, taking 90 to 95 and going through the toll booth area at that 90-95 change. He tried not to complain but I hated the commute for him. We moved to a town that suited my needs more-able to get a bigger house and more rural and now we each have about a 35-45 minute commute and he could not be happier!
You can always visit the area you love and still love where you live! BTW-we live in Stow and could not be happier [but taxes are really high]
Do you have kids? My wife and I used to have more even commutes, but we deliberately chose to move to a town which gives my wife a 10 minute commute, while increasing mine to 1 hour 15 minutes. Once you have kids in school it's better to have 1 parent near the kids. She can pick up, drop off, take the kids to doctors appointments, sports practices and get the kids during the day if (when) they have a fever. When both parents have a 35-45 min commute it's much harder to do this and unfortunately there will be fights about who has to take off work to get the kids.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
That commute doesn't sound too bad. I'm curious what your route home is, however. I have an office in Billerica not far from Chelmsford and I drive home to Lynnfield. I almost always take back roads and it's about 35 minutes. Depending where you are in Marblehead, I could make it there in about 60 minutes easily. You should be cutting across Wilmington, North Reading, Peabody to get home, stay off the highway
yes, i go that back route when 128 and 495 are both red (or black dots). its a really nice drive thru n reading, lynnfield, & WEST peabody....then the wheels fall off. crossing peabody at PM rush takes an act of god. until i moved to n. shore i hadnt ever seen congestion like that, & i grew up in E.Mass. the day-to-day variation baffles me too...weather and day of week being equal

Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
What route are you using to cross Peabody?

Old 05-06-2014, 03:24 PM

34 posts, read 56,661 times
I worked in Chelmsford (at Kronos) for 12 years. Most of my co-workers had commutes of 20-40 minutes.

I had a much shorter commute (less than 10 minutes), and the short commute was one of the reasons I never seriously considered looking for another job. It's a quality-of-life issue.

There are lots and lots of nice places to live -- Groton is a beautiful town. (Have you looked at Westford, BTW?) Spending 10-12 hours/week driving to/from work is way too big an expense for me.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:48 PM

226 posts, read 386,591 times
I think cutting commute time can be life changing.

My husband was losing his mind over the commute from near hanscom to the south end. It was a reverse commute but still unbearable for him as he felt he was missing his kids lives.

We moved 6 minutes from him job and while we loved city living, he's so much happier now.

Why not move to Chelmsford or Westford or Carlisle?

Old 05-06-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
What route are you using to cross Peabody?
it depends if im coming in backroads (via lynnfield) or 128. if 128 i take 114 exit and go central to walnut st to cut to salem. not exactly a hidden secret.

if backroads im kinda clueless. i take lowell st the whole way. is this dumb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts