Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 08:35 AM

317 posts, read 431,362 times

Advertisements

We're a young family relocating to Natick, and schools are important in our decision. I know Natick isn't in the top 10 in MA, but they still rank high. However, rankings and reviews only take you so far. It would be great to hear some firsthand experience with any of the public elementary, middle and high schools you may have. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 07:21 PM

15 posts, read 35,559 times
Bumping this, as I would love to know as well ...

Old 06-03-2014, 07:40 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
My daughter attended Bennett Hemenway for a few years and she absolutely loved her time there. The other parents are very involved and there was even a grassroots effort to build a new playground and "cooling station" behind the school, both of which were completed recently. I've heard similar stories from parents about the other elementary schools in town. I think this can be attributed to all the young families moving into town over the past several years who value education more than the existing families who have lived there for over a decade. Middle school is a different story, but I have a feeling it will "catch up" soon.

Since it was time for us to move up to a bigger house, I didn't want to take that risk and buy another house in Natick especially if we could buy a house in Sudbury for about the same price (but with higher taxes of course). Some of the surrounding communities have had a good reputation for a longer period of time, which makes their school systems a safer bet. It's a personal choice, but it all depends on your budget. If your budget is around $500-600k then Natick is a great choice. However, if you can afford it I would look into surrounding communities - Sherborn, Wayland, Sudbury, Wellesley, Needham, even Southboro if that's not too far out for you.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 AM

15 posts, read 35,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Middle school is a different story, but I have a feeling it will "catch up" soon.
This is my concern ... my son is entering second grade in the fall so it feels like MS is still far away, but it's really not. But wow, could we get a nice house in a Natick for $500k!

Thanks for the on-the-ground input!!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:34 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by najjan View Post
This is my concern ... my son is entering second grade in the fall so it feels like MS is still far away, but it's really not. But wow, could we get a nice house in a Natick for $500k!

Thanks for the on-the-ground input!!
Don't get me wrong, I think Natick schools are very good and will continue to improve. They're probably "good enough" for 90% of the population. I grew up in a high-pressure school system in another state where I wasn't even ranked in the top half of my class, but still managed a perfect score on the SAT math section. The guy ranked 1 slot above me (still not in the top half of our class) went Cornell. I really didn't want to put my kids through the same thing. My wife was adamant about moving out of Natick though, so that was the end of discussion. We decided on Sudbury which isn't a pressure cooker compared to some towns such as Lexington, Winchester or even Acton, but it still has a good reputation compared to Natick.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,550 times
I graduated from Natick High in 2008 (when it was the old school). I went to Lilja Elementary and Wilson Middle before that. I believe I received a great education and had great experiences. I'm sure there are better schools out there but there's always something better. Being someone who went through it (and pretty recently) I honestly have no problems with the education system in Natick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts