Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 09:45 PM

20 posts, read 30,484 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are a south asian family looking to buy our first home.
We are ready to stretch our budget for nice house in a strong school. We liked Acton due to reputed public school system.

During our homework we and also thanks to City-Data forum we learned that Acton is very very diversified with lots of chinese and Indian families.

We don't prefer that much of diversity. Hence we extended our search to Concord.
We found a home in concord which seems to fit our needs, although pricey compared to Acton. It will be identical monthly payment considering the lower property tax in Concord than in Acton.
But definitely I don't want my kids to attend schools where they are not welcomed and looked at as aliens from far land.

Any idea how Concord is interms of welcoming Srilankan tamil families ? Or should I stick to Acton which has more diverse appeal. Any thoughts will be welcomed.

These are NOT in our priorities-
1. town center 2. Walkablility 3. Commuter train 4. Parks, recreation etc.

However these are our priorities
1. Schools
2. Safe neighborhood
3. Feeling not out of place in kids schools and in neighborhood due to my ethnicity and socio-economic status.

Thanks,
Kaki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 11:03 PM

30 posts, read 62,438 times
If those are your only three requirements, then there are a lot of towns with good schools that you might like and not just Acton or Concord. You also say you don't require commuter trains which these towns have. It sounds like you could expand your search. They are both nice towns, and Acton definitely has a little more diversity, which you say you want some of. There are a lot of towns in this area for people who want good schools and don't prioritize public transportation, town centers and parks.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:17 PM

thanks stret. I prefer north or west of boston. Hence looking around Acton, concord or andover.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:08 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
Some demographic info...

Acton
77.3% White
18.6% Asian
1.1% African American

Concord
91.64% White
2.24% African American
2.90% Asian
2.80% Hispanic

Just based on numbers, I would think a family from Sri Lanka would blend in just fine in Acton. Bedford and Burlington would likely be good choices too.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:43 PM

136 posts, read 237,676 times
You didn't mention the age of your children? What about a sense of community, ability to take the train in the future and public parks that are fun for kids? Teens in particular need things to do outside of studying and taking music lessons and both Concord and Acton can be a bit boring. I would look at Lexington as they have a great recreation center, public pools, running track, nice areas to walk around like on Mass Ave. and have a local bus system that goes from Lexington to Burlington for very little. Still diverse and attractions a decent Asian population. Can take the bus to Alewife too. Schools are top notch.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:40 PM

Kids are 6 and 4.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:01 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
You didn't mention the age of your children? What about a sense of community, ability to take the train in the future and public parks that are fun for kids? Teens in particular need things to do outside of studying and taking music lessons and both Concord and Acton can be a bit boring. I would look at Lexington as they have a great recreation center, public pools, running track, nice areas to walk around like on Mass Ave. and have a local bus system that goes from Lexington to Burlington for very little. Still diverse and attractions a decent Asian population. Can take the bus to Alewife too. Schools are top notch.
I highly disagree.

Concord has a huge town recreation facility for all the residents. There is also Emerson Umbrella with art classes for kids and adults. One of their more well known events is the earth day parade where everyone dresses in ecology related costumes. The Thoreau Club is popular with camps for children and recreational facilities for everyone. And how could anyone forget Walden Pond.

Acton has great recreation that is only getting better every year. In the summer, activities at Nara Park every week. I just got both the continuing education and recreation catalogs, two separate catalogs. Both are triple in size with activities from when I moved in over ten years ago. There are filled baseball diamonds and numerous green spaces and parks all over town.

In West Acton, there is a popular town theater where everyone young and old of all talents and abilities are able to participate.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:14 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,729 times
All good towns, Lexington, Concord and Acton. Though Acton falls lower on the food chain for the true wealthy. Being Asian, I would strongly recommend Lexington as there is a large population of more diverse people than Concord, which is almost all white old money..I work there weekly and the only black person i see is the local cop..

Old 06-06-2014, 05:20 PM

136 posts, read 237,676 times
Default Where to live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I highly disagree.

Concord has a huge town recreation facility for all the residents. There is also Emerson Umbrella with art classes for kids and adults. One of their more well known events is the earth day parade where everyone dresses in ecology related costumes. The Thoreau Club is popular with camps for children and recreational facilities for everyone. And how could anyone forget Walden Pond.

Acton has great recreation that is only getting better every year. In the summer, activities at Nara Park every week. I just got both the continuing education and recreation catalogs, two separate catalogs. Both are triple in size with activities from when I moved in over ten years ago. There are filled baseball diamonds and numerous green spaces and parks all over town.

In West Acton, there is a popular town theater where everyone young and old of all talents and abilities are able to participate.
My own personal opinion and experience having young children is that the Rec Center in Lexington is not anywhere near the cost of joining Thoreau Club and has an ice skating rink where they teach skating and have a hockey league as well as a gym. There is a neighborhood bus that can transport kids safely to neighborhood activities which is not available in Concord or Acton. No bus system except to school. There are pluses in all three towns, but I feel Lexington offers the most plus is closer to the city and less removed plus a few choices of elementary schools and middle schools.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:55 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
My own personal opinion and experience having young children is that the Rec Center in Lexington is not anywhere near the cost of joining Thoreau Club and has an ice skating rink where they teach skating and have a hockey league as well as a gym. There is a neighborhood bus that can transport kids safely to neighborhood activities which is not available in Concord or Acton. No bus system except to school. There are pluses in all three towns, but I feel Lexington offers the most plus is closer to the city and less removed plus a few choices of elementary schools and middle schools.
Acton has five choices of elementary schools. Not sure about how Concord works.

Nashoba Valley Olympia on the border of Boxborough and Acton is a really nice skating facility. Lots of hockey teams and many skating programs for all levels and ages. There are two separate rinks, one for the hockey and one for the ice skating. Several nights a week there are public skating nights for all ages and one can rent skates for a small amount of money, if they don't own a pair.

Acton has been developing a shuttle system for several years, Minutevan.

Kids 12-18 can ride with parents' written permission. Granted there are not buses going all over town on fixed schedules as there are in Lexington, but it is a start of something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts