Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:29 PM

46 posts, read 73,704 times

Advertisements

This question is especially for those of you who own real estate in Marlborough or have owned.
Was speaking to a realtor regarding the area and the perception seems to be that out of the 'Boroughs', Marlborough isn't as attractive because its:
- a City without much at all to offer so it doesn't attract the young professionals other than having to work there.
- Schools are subpar (with the except of the one charter school, AMSA), which, doesn't attract families

I find myself attracted to the area because the prices of the homes there are significantly lower than the places I've been looking at. Not planning on having a family (early 40s, married, no children). I pretty much work from home or the occasional out of state travel and tend to settle in a place for at least 10+ years without moving elsewhere - too much of a hassle imo.

It appears that the city has been trying to rejuvenate downtown with a renewed drive in 2014 to bring in more business to downtown and help grow things (Marlborough Economic Development Corporation?) by holding town hall meetings and taking surveys etc.

For those of you who are vested there, do you have any regrets? Are you itching to get out?
Looking at the prices of homes and condos there, it appears that it takes a long time for them to move (if at all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
I lived in Marlboro many years ago and I still have family there. Were I 40 and single, unless I was into divorcee's with a couple of kids (tons of them in Marlboro), I would want to be closer to Boston. Towns like Waltham, Woburn, Dedham, are on the same education/social level as Marlboro but a lot closer to Boston.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Thanks JohnGolf for the insight. I do rent in Newton/Watertown border but housing here is pretty crazy at the moment. Definitely a good point to consider.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:55 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
johngolf: the OP said he was married and doesn't plan on having kids.

soal: I wouldn't hesitate to move to Marlboro if I were in your situation. I live in a family-oriented town next to Marlboro and I know many people moving to Marlboro as soon as their kids graduate from HS. It does seem like a town that a lot of divorcees or empty nesters move to, but if you're married with no kids that probably doesn't bother you. It has cheap housing and has enough restaurants and things to do nearby to keep you busy during the week. The "hot real estate market" in the Boston area might be lagging in the Marlboro area, but that's all the more reason to jump on a place you like there before people are priced out of Framingham, etc and start looking in Marlboro. Don't expect rapid appreciation on your home purchase, but if Marlboro DOES improve its image then you will have a great investment on your hands. If not, then you will buy cheap and sell cheap. Nothing wrong with that as long as the location and amenities work for you. You mentioned you work from home. Where does your wife work? If she works east of Watertown, then I take back everything I said and will NOT recommend commuting to Cambridge/Boston from Marlboro.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 PM

Parsec, That's kind of along the lines i was thinking - I don't want to be financially tied down to a mortgage for the next 30 years (already early 40s) and I do make enough to pay off the place in 15 (if needed), though nothing is guaranteed. The prices in Marlborough would allow us to get a home at a low price and at the same time not worry about owing money to the banks. We did look at Brighton, Watertown - 30k+ over listing (and I'm sure you've read the news of how its gone over 100k+) and I'm left wondering is it worth it if you factor in the amount of $$ in interest alone to make up for a 'profit' in 10-15 years if you sell the place later.

Wifey works from home too (part time). We hang out quite a bit at home, so we don't hang out in bars or the night scene - most friends are actually overseas and across the US from university days. We do spend the weekend at restaurants in some of our favorite hangouts in the Boston area.

The downside to Marlborough is I guess if I lose my job and have to start looking, living closer to Boston like Waltham, which is in the middle, might be a 'safer' place. And selling homes there (if things don't pick up) can take a while given the history of the area over the last 10+ years.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:01 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Oops on the married part so the Marlboro divorcee's are not of interest......yet.....LOL

If you want some land as in you like to garden, etc. then you will have to be outside or close to I-495 to get a home with land at a reasonable price.

When my wife and I were in our 40's with no kids, we did not like yard/garden work (still do not) so we lived in townhouse developments (HOA's) where the association took care of all landscaping. We spent our spare time on other things. I suggest this might be a good life style for you.

Best of luck on what you decide.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 AM

JohnGolf, too funny :-)
Actually we're actually in a similar preferences. We are actually looking at a Condo/Townhouse somewhere near downtown (which isn't much of a downtown either) - we're not really social people either so we don't really need a 'community'. Don't enjoy managing the yard nor do I want to worry about having to repaint/etc - i rather be spending my weekends doing other things than exterior maintenance household projects.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
There are some beautiful new contemporary lofts that have been developed near downtown Marlborough. Something like that might work for you. The Westborough and Southborough commuter rail stops are pretty close to parts of Marlborough if you ever need train transportation into Boston.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 PM

495neighbor - yes. You are right on the money as I've actually been looking at the lofts there near downtown (think we're talking about the same one). As I've primarily rented in the Newton/Watertown area and now am seriously thinking about the place, I'm nervous about making the 'wrong' move. Like the convenience here however its not to say I use the amenities that the town here offers - things like walkability score etc doesn't really bother me.
I'll be visiting the area again to get more of a sense of it. I guess when I do get on projects, it does mean flying out every week to a client however that will usually be during non-peak hours (early mon, late thurs).

Old 06-05-2014, 10:01 AM

513 posts, read 695,345 times
I grew up in Marlborough. The schools are not to the same standards of the small upscale surrounding towns like Westboro and Southboro, but they are not bad. It does not have a ton of nightlife either. Since that doesn't seem to bother you I don't think you would have any issues there. I think I know the lofts you are looking at as well and they seem really nice, although I would not call them at all cheap or inexpensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts