Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:16 PM

173 posts, read 655,277 times

Advertisements

In my previous thread I tried to identify a town that would encourage kids to be able to walk/bike to each other's houses. Winchester, Needham, Lexington and the like are indeed very pricey. So that leads me to ask about Sudbury. It seems that the town has stellar schools, and a great community feel. I sense it is a friendly place to live, not too far away from Boston. Maybe less expensive than the others.

We need sidewalks, wherever we move. It is simply a must for us. I think I can live without a town center, as long as my kids can visit their friends themselves when they get older.

Is it true that Sudbury has no town center, however it has sidewalks everywhere? Can anyone confirm that? I think that could work for us.

If anyone can think of another suburb with excellent schools and sidewalks mostly everywhere, do add that info as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 01:45 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,761,500 times
There are sidewalks on most of the main roads (Rt-20, Rt-27, Old Sudbury Rd, Concord Rd, Raymond Rd), but not on the secondary main roads like Marlboro Rd, Water Row, Union Rd. Most neighborhood streets don't have sidewalks either, but this is true of almost every other Boston suburb. I live in a cul de sac 4 miles from all the shops on Rt-20 and can walk there using sidewalks the entire way except inside the neighborhood from my house to the main road. I walk with my daughter to her friends houses, playground and tennis courts (she's not old enough to do this on her own yet).

EDIT:
Sounds like South Sudbury would fit you the best; North Sudbury might be a little too spread out for you with no commercial areas nearby (10 min to Maynard and Rt-20 in Sudbury). My top choice was the neighborhood near Loring school south of Rt-20, but we didn't find a house that we liked down there. You are 10-15 minutes from all the stores in Framingham and your kids can walk/bike to the ice cream shops and restaurants on Rt-20 when they get older. If you are a dual-income family with both parents rushing out the door in the morning, Loring also has the added advantage of starting much earlier than the other schools in town (buses pick up around 7:45AM instead of 8:30AM for the other schools).

Last edited by Parsec; 06-04-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 06:19 PM

154 posts, read 255,793 times
I disagree with Parsec. There are actually many sidewalks in North Sudbury, which are also snowplowed in winter. Between having kids who bike on the sidewalks, and running frequently in Sudbury, I know there is an excellent network of sidewalks. In some of the neighborhoods, including the one I live in, where the streets are very quiet and the foot traffic is about equal to the car traffic, there may not be sidewalks. However, through many of the busier streets- including much of 117, there are sidewalks.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 AM

roadstrailstris - I thought we said basically the same thing? The main roads have sidewalks while the quiet neighborhood streets don't, which is fine because drivers here are trained to watch out for pedestrians while driving in the neighborhoods. I definitely agree w/the network of sidewalks, but you need to be sure to find a house that has access to this network. It will become clearer as you drive around town and go some open houses. This weekend should be great for that!

Old 06-06-2014, 09:40 AM

23 posts, read 70,719 times
North Sudbury has plenty of sidewalks along main road as was mentioned. I can think of Morse Road, Mossman, 117, Powder Mill as main roads. Neighborhood roads might not have sidewalks but it is not necessary. Moving to Sudbury a few years ago one of the items that surprised me was how quickly these sidewalks were plowed. The town is very up on plowing sidewalks.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:07 AM

173 posts, read 655,277 times
How about getting around with kids on bikes? Are there paths which one could bike on intertwined among the communities? Or would one have to drive to a park first, then bike? My kid is too young to bike on the street. Where we live, he currently bikes on neighborhood sidewalks. Previously we lived in a town that had paths "hidden" behind main roads (Patriot's path in NJ). If we give up the sidewalks, at least kid friendly/safe biking throughout the town would be important. I am also thinking of Natick, Concord, Marblehead and Newburyport.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:09 AM

23 posts, read 70,719 times
You can use the sidewalks on the main roads and then bike in the neighborhood. My son is 7 and has been biking on roads since 4. No bike path in Sudbury.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,108 times
Can anyone please help me. I want to walk from the airport shuttle station at 611 Burr Street Extension, Framingham to Landham Rd. in Sudbury. Tried to use the google map to map out my way but I am not sure if there are some areas where pedestrians can't walk and how dangerous those areas are. Does anyone have any idea?

Appreciate your comments.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:19 AM

Once you get onto Rt-126 Concord Rd there's a sidewalk straight up to Landham. I don't know if the side streets between Burr St and Concord Rd have sidewalks, but worst case scenario you just take Rt-30 to Rt-126.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,108 times
Thank you very much parsec
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts