U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:06 AM

2,288 posts, read 6,421,634 times

Advertisements

Our gutters are due for a cleaning since rain water is flowing down like a water fall. It's for a 2 story house (which is why I can't do it myself). Should I call a handyman or do I need professional gutter cleaning people? And how do I find a reputable one??

The gutters were last cleaned 1.5 yrs ago, just before I moved in. I know the people who was hired (by the previous owner) to do the cleaning were not good because the gutters were still clogged just after the job was supposedly done and a 2nd round of cleaning was needed. So I want to hopefully avoid getting someone who's going to do a half-axx job like the people who came before.

I live in Metrowest/Natick... If you guys have used someone who is good enough to recommend to your mother (so to speak), please PM me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:45 PM

675 posts, read 1,586,109 times
Don't have any recommendations but some landscapers & tree services will do it - as a bonus they may be able to trim any trees that are contributing to the problem.

I think gutters are supposed to be cleaned twice a year regardless. (That said, ask me how often I've cleaned mine )

Old 06-13-2014, 06:16 PM

Thanks for this tip. Actually all the trees that contribute to leaves in our gutter are on someone else's property. So nothing i can do about pruning.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:36 PM

8 posts, read 6,860 times
You can prune any branches that are on your property. Gutter cleaning isn't rocket science. Anyone can do it. I suppose you want to make sure the person has workers comp insurance in case they fall off a ladder at your place. It's not that complicated. You might even rent a ladder and do it yourself.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:41 AM

8,037 posts, read 12,505,246 times
I would also like to agree with those that have said clean your gutters twice a year. Many landscapers and handymen offer this service. Sometimes cleaning the downspouts is extra but it isn't always needed.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:09 PM

Thanks to all for responses so far. I will start by calling handyman that my neighbors have used. I'm pretty sure I won't do it myself since maneuvering a 20 ft ladder is probably not within my physical capability - really not that I don't want to since I try to take care of as much maintenance work on my own as possible.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:19 PM

147 posts, read 268,658 times
Buy a subscription to Angie's list

Old 06-14-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhusky11 View Post
Buy a subscription to Angie's list
Haven't you heard that Angie's List is a scam??

Old 06-15-2014, 08:10 AM

404 posts, read 778,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Haven't you heard that Angie's List is a scam??
How is it a scam? We have used it for ten years with much success.

OP FWIW we used New England Gutter King and found nothing to hate.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
How is it a scam? We have used it for ten years with much success.
Stores abound about Angie's list hiding negative reviews for companies in exchange for payment and buddying companies that don't pay for their service. Now I don't know whether and how true those stores are. But in this day and age, I just don't buy into paying to read reviews written voluntarily by other consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
OP FWIW we used New England Gutter King and found nothing to hate.
Thanks for this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts