Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times

Advertisements

I seem to keep hearing about a lot of people who are moving to Amesbury, so maybe it isn't long until it is comp. I haven't actually ever visited that town, but I get the impression its the Maynard of the north shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 07:02 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,469,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstoep View Post
Thanks for the tip that Amesbury wouldn't be considered comp. This is one of the most difficult things about buying in a new area - what are the local's perceptions of certain towns/areas. My husband wants to rent first to get a feel for the area, but amongst other concerns, I'm afraid it will be difficult to find a 3-bedroom that allows dogs. Thoughts?
Renting in this area with dogs is a little difficult but not impossible. I rent a 3 bedroom house with two big dogs. I mean BIG, my female is 125 and my male is 71lbs.
You will probably need to pay a little more and do not expect a "showroom" quality house. It's only temporary so try not to be too picky. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 AM

974 posts, read 1,897,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
All of which can be made up for by the price. Very few properties are worth nothing, so everything will sell at the right price. In fact, that's often how economists define the right price.
I wasn't starting a neoclassical economics argument; was illustrating a critical issue the OP may have overlooked when RE shopping in New England/Massachusetts based only on known market factors.

If you're making housing comparisons strictly from an online source (Zillow), you're missing crucial local information. Our housing market is different from other parts of the country and people new to small towns may not think to check out the local zoning board, town inspector for building permits, MassDEP or local papers for community/neighborhood associations.

For example, two similar homes can have different outcomes if one property encompasses wetlands while the other doesn't. I've had to explain to clients from New York who want work done on their Cape Cod property why they can't have/or it takes longer/or more money but their neighbor across the street can.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Danvers, beverly and Newburyport for sure. Amesbury not so much, but taxes are super high.
I don't know these towns very well, but I ran some reports on MLS to add some statistics which might help this conversation a bit. Danvers & Beverly had about the same average Days On Market (DOM) for single family homes. They were in the mid to high 50's which isn't bad at all. Newburyport's DOM was in the high 40's. So, it seems Newburyport is moving a bit faster. Amesbury on the other hand has an average DOM of just over 100. This is a little more than 3 months so without really doing an in depth analysis I'm guessing this market is doing OK, but it's not "hot."

Old 06-16-2014, 08:26 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I don't know these towns very well, but I ran some reports on MLS to add some statistics which might help this conversation a bit. Danvers & Beverly had about the same average Days On Market (DOM) for single family homes. They were in the mid to high 50's which isn't bad at all. Newburyport's DOM was in the high 40's. So, it seems Newburyport is moving a bit faster. Amesbury on the other hand has an average DOM of just over 100. This is a little more than 3 months so without really doing an in depth analysis I'm guessing this market is doing OK, but it's not "hot."
Interesting. If you don't mind looking, what is the avg. DOM for Lynnfield, Marblehead, and Swampscott?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Interesting. If you don't mind looking, what is the avg. DOM for Lynnfield, Marblehead, and Swampscott?
Lynnfield - 51
Marblehead - 65
Swampscott - 83

Keep in mind first that these are averages. I'm finding in many towns some price points are far hotter than others. Also, these numbers are only for single family homes.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM

560 posts, read 751,164 times
makes sense. we bought this past fall in lynnfield and it was on the market for 2 weeks or so before we put an offer in. and a house in our neighborhood went up and was under agreement in less time recently.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:53 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,868 times
Dogs are always a problem. You may have to pay a separate security deposit for one.
Also some insurance policies charge extra.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Dogs are always a problem. You may have to pay a separate security deposit for one.
Also some insurance policies charge extra.
Keep in mind when renting that state law only allows a landlord to collect 3 deposits and none of the deposits may exceed the amount of 1 month's rent. I've had some landlords try to collect first, last, security, and a pet deposit in the past and that's illegal.

As a side note, I recently saw an interesting pet arrangement where the lease rate was higher if you had a pet.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:49 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,469,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Keep in mind when renting that state law only allows a landlord to collect 3 deposits and none of the deposits may exceed the amount of 1 month's rent. I've had some landlords try to collect first, last, security, and a pet deposit in the past and that's illegal.

As a side note, I recently saw an interesting pet arrangement where the lease rate was higher if you had a pet.
I have come across the higher rent option a couple times while looking. It's not common but it's out there. I have never been asked to pay a pet deposit but I have been asked to prove they are spayed and up to date with shots. I have been asked to meet them. I think making a point to be accommodating as possible and with all politeness to any requests before hand goes a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts