Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:22 PM

38 posts, read 122,395 times

Advertisements

If you have lived in both these states, please let me know which one you would choose if you had to choose between them and why. I have the opportunity to move home to Ma, yet, I keep reading how everyones leaving the North to come South. Its hard sometimes, not to second guess myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 25,556 times
Ma is cold so if you want to deal with the cold and snow then Ma is ok but Ga is warmer and i think the people are friendly and happier than they are in Ma if you have family up here then you will have a connection but it hard for outside to every fit in. i have been in Ma for over 15 years and would love to relocate but the pay is much better in ma (of course things cost more too) so if i could take my mass money to Ga it would be great

Old 10-27-2006, 05:04 AM

439 posts, read 720,780 times
Pro and Con on these two states.

Climate wise Ga. of course will be milder-Bostons chilling February winds and possible snow storms are not welcome to many unless a winter sports fanatic. Atlanta is much milder, but has at least a few nasty ice storms and several cold waves during the winter.

More jobs in GA- but the pay and quality may be questionable.

Friendlier people? Perhaps- but they may not be so friendly to northerners, liberals and non church goers-and tend to be much more 'nosey about your personal habits and judgmental then people from MA.

The culture is very 'southern'- Atlanta is a 'cosmopolitan city' though not in Boston's caliber. Once outside of Atlanta the culture becomes very 'southern' which many from New England would feel as though they are a 'fish out of water'.

Not very liberal or 'progressive' on a variety of social issues- although Atlanta has made good strides in racial harmony and tolerance to gays and minorities. School system ranks in the lower quarter nationally. More racial polarization then in New England. The state has a 'bible belt' like culture ingrained into the populace- which may appeal to some and repel others used to more objective thought.

Outside of Atlanta a 'civil war' still being fought in the minds of some.

Costs for housing- taxes much lower in Ga.

Last edited by Dragondog; 10-27-2006 at 05:45 AM..

Old 10-27-2006, 07:10 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Weather - Mass get the seasons, don't get the seasons. If you really just prefer warm weather and don't care about seasons changing, winter, then GA is definately the better option.

People - This people are much 'friendlier' in the South than the North, is probably one of the biggest fallacies of this whole so-called movement of people from the North to the South for a better 'quality of life'. Everybody in the South will smile and be so friendly to your face, but they stab you in the back the second you turn around. They are typically very superficial. People in the North tend to be down to earth and real, which Southerners construe as rude, arrogant. Personally I would rather know somebody is talking to me, being friendly, etc. because they actually mean it, rather than doing it just because it's polite, then talking about me the minute I walk away. Believe me, I've seen it firsthand more times in a couple years in GA, than I have seen in the previous 20+yrs living in the North. Neighbors, you meet them at some 'community pool party' or something, oh how wonderful to have you here, bless your little heart, welcome we're SOOOOO Happy you're here, blah blah blah, but then after 3yrs of living there not a single one will ever invite you over for dinner or anything, not a single one will ever take you up on your invitation, really other than that phony 'friendliness' all they will have to do with you is to peak out their windows and watch what everybody else is doing then gossip about it w/the members of their little group, then this group will gossip about this group, and the groups will be divided up by crap like which church you go to, who sits at the bus stop every day w/their kids, who drives a mini-van and who doesn't, etc. etc.
You can walk our neighborhood one end to the other in about 5min, yet EVERY DAY, morning and afternoon, there are about 10 cars lined up of parents who sit at the bus stop waiting for their kids, people who literally live 2 houses down from the bus stop!!! (and no this is not a bad area, there has not been a SINGLE crime here in who knows how many years)! Out of about 15-20 kids in this neighborhood you see the same 4-5 outside, the rest are NEVER outside playing, the southern attitude is definately overprotective to the point of ridiculouseness. Much different than the neighborhoods we were used to in the north, the polar opposite of the places I've seen in Mass.
Also they are extremely judgemental. I've heard people talking bad about other people in their church because they didn't think they were religious the way they should be, whatever that means! Very neo-conservative, religious...You will see people w/1 kid driving Ford Excursions, living in 4,000 sq ft. McMansions, owning their own business and hiring all illegals so they can make more money so they can buy that 3rd SUV they don't need, then they cover it with 'Got Jesus', 'W The President' stickers and a 'I support the Troops' magnent. It's just a whole different world, and NO they are not very accetping of 'outsiders', only if you find a neighborhood full of fellow transplants.

Jobs - Are a plenty in GA, but the atmosphere here is much different. Don't know if it's because of the transient mentality here, or because it's a right-to-work state, or why, but you never really feel settled in a job here, many employers have an attitude that their employees are pretty much expendable, so you don't really seem to have much employee-to-employer allegiance or vice-versa. Maybe that's anywhere, but I never really noticed it quite the same way until being here. Pay is iffy, I've found great paying jobs in GA, but I've also seen very often jobs paying way less here than they would in other areas.

Culture - You will find more culture on a single street in Mass than you will find in the entire state of GA. Unless of course you consider Super Wal-Mart, Super Target, Super Home Depot, Super Lowe's, Super Applebee's, Chili's, and Olive Garden to be culture. The 'illegal immigrant' culture is growing pretty strong here. There are some areas you can go and every business is Hispanic, Korean...Their signs are in their language, they don't speak any english, entirely non-english businesses. That's probably the most culture you'll find here outside American corporate-chain garbage.

Housing - Definately cheaper in GA, but everything is pretty new, which usually indicates shoddy construction put up overnight by illegals, and it all looks the same, very bland. BUT affordable compared to Mass, unless you're talking Western Mass.

Politics - There's a 2-party system in GA, neo-conservative or ultra-conservative. Although must admit, don't really care for the far-left, liberal state in much of Mass.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel obligated to help! Just search this site for how many posts there are by people following the B.S. and ending up stuck in the South, regretting it, wanting to get the hell out!

Last edited by GAisGreat; 10-27-2006 at 07:19 AM..

Old 10-27-2006, 10:20 AM

439 posts, read 720,780 times
IN Ga

you tell it like it is

The south has risen from the dead-but the monster it has produced will be its undoing.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:47 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,386 times
Well Lauren...you got some great answers and the rest really depends on what you want and what's important for your quality of life. Personally I love the charm of New England.

There are some things I could certainly do without (ROTARY TRAFFIC FOR ONE). People are pretty impatient in MA on the roads...you'll get flipped off pretty quick if you don't abide by the way we drive (and that depends on our mood ).

I'm actually leaving the Cape soon I hope (born and bred so this is big and scary for me), I understand your fear about coming back to MA...what part are you thinking of coming back to? How long have you been gone?

I wish you luck with your choice. I've been to Georgia and didn't care for it (not to live anyway...the humidity was wicked that week too).

Old 10-29-2006, 01:16 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,285 times
Lauren -

I've lived in Boston for 5-yrs now (20-yrs over my lifetime) & in Atlanta for 6-yrs in the 90's. I'm finishing up renovations on my house in Boston.

Sadly, I agree 100% with CelticLion & InGA. Honestly, Boston isn't the friendliest city & not my favorite, but I'm also not a native New Englander, like most of you. Inner-city lack of parking, high cost of everything & gruff people are not my favorite, but I've only lived inner-city anytime I've been here. Once leaving city limits, people are friendlier here. My experience, in the several parts of the south I've lived (Atlanta, NC) is, if you're a yankee (doesn't matter that you're not born here, you're still a yankee if you don't have a southern accent, aren't So. Baptist & "fit in" in the way they see fit), then you will find some rather cold-shouldered treatment, akin to Amish shunning, except shunning eventually ends after the "infraction".

In fact, friends who lived together "in sin", found that strangely, several families in their complex would no longer speak with the woman once they found out. "Where'd you & your husband get married?" initiated the "outting". Prior to that, whenever they mentioned seeing "her husband" & how nice he looked in his suit, going to work, she just let it go, knowing what wrath could ensue. In one case, the woman slapped her young son who said "hello" (right after she walked behind us, no less, & still within earshot) saying "I told you not to talk to THAT woman". This was in 1994, not 1894. Apparantly, she was a Jezebel, however, strangely, they still spoke kindly & happily to the man. Was it because the man was a native southerner/S. Baptist & she was a yankee/Catholic? Don't know, but the hostility I saw/experienced was palpable (& no, I didn't run around town in a backwards Phillies baseball cap & shorts in Jan, so that I stood out like a sore thumb). In fact, I don't think they knew she were Catholic, else they might have a hootinannie & chased her clean out of town. Oddest of all, these folks were the same who made derogatory comments about other races/religions. Apparantly in the south, some folks have been appointed golden-staffed judgers from above & have decided that only some people are worthy of respect & love...

If you lived in MA, then you know what it's like, so you'll have to decide if you want what you had before, just costlier, or the good with the bad you experience in GA (great weather, lower cost of living, especially cheaper food, slower paced).

I'm gladly leaving inner-city Boston in 6-mos & will be relocating possibly to my homestate of PA. Perfect? No. But each much choose his/her own, no place being perfection. I can't see that I'd consider returning to the south again unless Al Pacino wants to marry me & relocate to the south to work on movie scripts...

I'll hold a good thought for you in your relocation & everyone else who mentioned wanting to move. Please hold one for me, as well... Baltic_Celt

Old 10-29-2006, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 49,576 times
Default in a similar situation

We are also in GA and hoping to get the heck out as soon as possible. We have been very unhappy with the schools (and we're in a top school district), the closeminded neighbors, the overly religious atmosphere, and the lack of culture and public transportation. I agree with the post by inGA about how awful it is and we are considering moving to Mass. soon.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Default Preach it, InGa...

I live in Tennessee, via Florida, originally from Mass.

These southerners will look right at you and stab you in the back. We have lived in Tennessee for a year. I recently posted a thread in Tennessee called "Miserable in East Tennessee." They shut it down, that fast.

These people treat me like dirt. I have a wonderful resume. But they can tell I am a Yankee and will not hire me. I have found most of these people to be liars. I have never been so disillusioned in my life.

At least, with New Englanders you know what you get. They tell you to your face.

Do you know what "Bless your heart" means? "You are a moron."

Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 AM

702 posts, read 3,009,821 times
I've lived in both in the Atlanta area and Boston area. For me, the Boston area is by far the better of the two. I feel that Atlanta has basically sold its soul to developers. Everything is being clear cut and developed and traffic is horrible. I remember that I used to be able to see the city skyline from Spaghetti Junction when I first moved there, but now it is very rare due to the horrible smog. Here are my thoughts:

People: Tie
Although you get the stereotype, people are friendlier in the south, I generally think it is very superficial. People were friendly in New England also once you get to know them.

Politics: Georgia (if you are conservative), Massachusetts (if you are liberal)
Politically, Georgia was very frustrating for me. Most everyone is very close minded and conservative, with a few exceptions in neighborhoods such as Decatur. I tend to lean to the socially liberal and fiscally conservative side, so Boston was perfect.

Culture: Massachusetts (Lots of venues and universities)
Boston has lots of world class museums. The High was quite lame in comparison. But what I love is that all the universities here have their own museums, orchestras, plays, etc. So, the options are endless, from free concerts to operas. The choices are so much more varied in Boston.

Outdoors: Massachusetts
Easy drive to mountains, gorgeous beaches nearby from rocky coasts to sandy beaches with amazing dunes. Lots of nature even near to the city.

Weather: Georgia (if you like warm) Massachusetts (if you like seasons)
Having grown up in the tropics and Florida, I actually love the change of seasons. However, winters here could be tough with short days and frigid nights. On the other hand, Georgia can have brutal summers with high humidity etc.

Housing: Georgia
Things are much cheaper in Georgia than Massachusetts. Development in Georgia is everywhere due to the growth. In Massachusetts, development is quite strict, hence high housing prices. Each town/city wants to maintain its New Englandness, with idealic town forests etc. So, the questions is whether you are willing to pay for that quality of life or not.

Cost of Living: Georgia
For me, the cost of housing is the major issue. Taxes seem equivalent. Cost of goods seem about the same. It depends on where you live in Massachusetts. With over 350 communities, you have as varied a tax structure and cost of living.

Urbanity: Massachusetts. Love the history and walkability of Boston

Schools: Massachusetts (one of the top 5 in the nation)

Diversity: Massachusetts (More nations are represented due to over 60 universities in the area)

Things to do: Massachusetts

Location: Massachusetts (Proximity to Europe, NYC, Quebec). I like the fact that I can drive 5 hours and experience a whole different culture of Montreal, or the bright lights of a big city of NYC) When I was in Atlanta, everything seems so far away. I also travel to Europe quite a bit and Boston is ideal for cheap and relatively quick flights)

So, it really depends what you priorities are. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts