Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times

Advertisements

Lots of good answers here--the OP should have a good idea of the 'new' Newburyport vibe. It doesn't stop me from going downtown a couple of times a week just to sit at the waterfront and watch the people go by. Lots of folks walking their dogs, munching on ice cream, or listening to one of the musicians with their hat set out and strumming, singing or drumming...

It's a wonderful and historic seaport town, and the downtown is active with lots of activities down near the waterfront, especially on the weekends. Some of the boatyards have become high-end marinas that seem to add more dock space each year, instead of being a place where a boy and his dad could go to pick up boat parts as necessary (because as anyone who owns one knows, a boat is a hole in the water that you pour your money into...) There is no doubt that the river has become a playground for folks who have more money than sense. There are many fools who have no business navigating the mouth of the river, and watching somebody trying to dock their new 30+ foot boat would be comical if it weren't so sad. If you ever want a couple of hours good entertainment, go to the public dock down behind the Towle Silversmiths building and watch the people coming in off the water. Holy moly, its like a comedy of errors.

In my opinion, Newburyport has changed immensely the past couple of decades. As goyguy mentions, there is quite a bit more flaunting of wealth than I remember as a 20-something back in the 80s, and I attribute much of that to an influx of folks from other places, where it's all about the car you drive, the brands you wear. Like New Hampshire, most who live there were not born there and have come from some other place... It is still one of my favorite places to spend time though, and if I have to listen to some folks ramble on about their stock options, their latest luxury cars or how much they spent on their labradoodle, well, so be it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 08:53 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,259 times
Back in the 60's, Newburyport was a basket case, with the downtown nearly abandoned, except for a gas station. Buildings were boarded up. Then 'urban renewal' was initiated in the late 60's and was implemented in the 70's, setting the stage for today's new Newburyport. Preservationists prevailed and the 'charm' of the downtown we see today was conceived through the vision of Byron Mathews and others of his era. The Beer vs. Chardonnay division notwithstanding, the demographics lean white and 40-something, some with money. Primary social convo for the summer revolves for many people anyway, the boating / sailing scene, which tends to be a moneyed, white crowd. Still there is plenty to do for the outdoorsy types that don't require a boat. Nice nice place and if I didn't end up in Essex I'd be living in the Port.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts