Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:19 AM

9 posts, read 40,126 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am currently a NH resident and my girlfriend and I just bought a home in Amesbury so I'm starting the process of moving all my info over to MA. Back 4 years ago I bought a Honda from Atamian Honda in Tewksbury and registered it in NH. I went to the RMV today and they told me that since I bought the vehicle in MA, first registered it in NH and am now registering it in MA I have to pay the sales tax PLUS INTEREST?!? What the heck is that all about? I'm totally fine, and was expecting, to pay MA sales tax but had no idea that interest would be tacked on as well. Has anyone ever heard of this or run into this problem? The tax plus interest is so high that now I'm having issues even paying for it! And of course, I found this out after I changed my car insurance info and my license over to MA!

Thoughts or comments?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 03:43 PM

643 posts, read 1,039,325 times
Sales tax had to be paid at time of purchase, resident or not.

Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax

Quote:
Payment of the Tax

Every purchaser of a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle, who is required to register or title the vehicle in Massachusetts, must, within ten days following the date of purchase, transfer or use of such vehicle within Massachusetts, file Form RMV-1, Application for Title and Registration and pay any applicable sales or use tax to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.

Every purchaser of a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle, who is not required to register or title the vehicle in Massachusetts, must, by the twentieth day of the month following the date of purchase, transfer or use of such vehicle within Massachusetts, file a completed Form ST-7R, Motor Vehicle Certificate of Payment of Sales or Use Tax pdf format of st_7r.pdf and pay any applicable tax to the Department of Revenue or Registry of Motor Vehicles.

If the sales/use tax is not paid timely, interest and penalties are assessed in addition to the tax.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:51 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,976,491 times
I don't know the answer, but if you have AAA or know some on who does, I would suggest calling an office and asking them, in my experience they are generally extremely helpful and knowledgable in navigating the RMV.

I certainly wouldn't take anything an RMV employee tells me as fact.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
I certainly wouldn't take anything an RMV employee tells me as fact.

Very true and don't forget it. I predict that you will not like the MA RMV. We've had some luck asking the local police when three different RMVs told us three different things. I have found that the most reliable/believable RMV in our (your) area is the one in Danvers. It's right in a mall and it's bright and clean and the employees tended to be almost pleasant. At times.

Welcome to MA, I think you will love Amesbury.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:19 PM

25 posts, read 65,343 times
Same page as someone linked before: Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax

Motor Vehicle Purchases in Massachusetts by Nonresidents
If a nonresident of Massachusetts purchases a motor vehicle in Massachusetts and takes title to and/or possession of the vehicle in Massachusetts, the sale is subject to the Massachusetts sales/use tax irrespective of whether the nonresident intends to use the motor vehicle within or outside Massachusetts.

So yeah, you owe the tax and the interest, the only chance you would have to have it not paid is if you had been in a state with a sales tax and you paid the sales tax there, but with no sales tax in NH, you are SOL in this situation.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:00 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,815,815 times
Wow, this is really outrageous. You've barely arrived and already getting screwed by Mass.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:48 AM

974 posts, read 1,903,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Wow, this is really outrageous. You've barely arrived and already getting screwed by Mass.
Um. No. OP tried to screw Massachusetts and it's residents who pay their sales taxes.

If you can't take the consequences, don't take the risks. OP did something illegal and now has to pay for it.

Same way everyone on the border buys liquor and tobacco, etc. in NH for consumption in Msss but still want the Mass services those taxes pay for.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:18 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Um. No. OP tried to screw Massachusetts and it's residents who pay their sales taxes.

If you can't take the consequences, don't take the risks. OP did something illegal and now has to pay for it.

Same way everyone on the border buys liquor and tobacco, etc. in NH for consumption in Msss but still want the Mass services those taxes pay for.

Totally agree

Old 06-28-2014, 11:02 PM

9 posts, read 40,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post

Hahaha what? We tried to screw MA residents? Care to elaborate? Shouldn't you be more upset with Atamian Honda, a Massachusetts company, because they sold us the car and never charged us for the tax? You do realize it wasn't a private sale from some random guy on craigslist who wasn't sure what the law was, right? Being that we were NH residents and had never bought a car in MA before we had no idea what the process was. We also put faith in the company that we were dealing with that they knew Massachusetts laws and would take care of us, and other MA residents like yourself.

And just to clear everything up, MA has dropped the interest because Atamian is at fault for not charging us at the time of purchase. Seems to me that the state of Massachusetts has just screwed you over in multiple ways, not the wife and I. I do appreciate your insight on consequences and risks though. If the wife and I ever think about breaking the law on accident again, I'll make sure to PM you first.

To everybody else that posted helpful information, thank you.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:47 AM

3,690 posts, read 7,443,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWorker17 View Post

And just to clear everything up, MA has dropped the interest because Atamian is at fault for not charging us at the time of purchase.

This statement still is not correct.

As a NH resident buying a car in MA you did not need to pay MA sales tax at the time of purchase. Atamian most definitely knew this. Car dealers in MA and NH know what they need to do to sell to people in both states. People who have a New Hampshire address and register their vehicle in New Hampshire, do not pay any Massachusetts sales tax.

Now that you are titling and registering the car in MA, you have to pay sales tax on the current book value of the car, not the original purchase price. If you were moving here from New York, for example, and had already paid sales tax to New York, there would be no sales tax due in MA.

I'm curious what Registry office is giving you this misinformation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts