Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,119 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I recently was offered a job around the Cambridge, MA area and the salary on average is 35K. I’m looking for the most affordable places to look into (rent) and I would prefer that it’s a safe area.

My GF will be coming with me, however she hasn’t found a job there…yet so I’m basing this off of just what I know I’ll be making. Any suggestions, thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 12:37 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2MA View Post
Hello everyone,

I recently was offered a job around the Cambridge, MA area and the salary on average is 35K. I’m looking for the most affordable places to look into (rent) and I would prefer that it’s a safe area.

My GF will be coming with me, however she hasn’t found a job there…yet so I’m basing this off of just what I know I’ll be making. Any suggestions, thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Where in PA are you now? The COL in Cambridge is higher than everywhere in Pennsylvania. Are you going to be in Cambridge itself or somewhere near Cambridge? It's definitely doable, but $35k isn't a lot of money for around here.

If I were you I'd look on Craigslist for an apartment near enough to Cambridge that you could easily commute. This could be Cambridge (or Somerville) itself if you're willing to spend a bit more/get a bit less, or somewhere a bit further out like Belmont/Watertown/Arlington if you're looking for more apartment for your money. The relative advantages of those places will depend a lot on what you're looking for--Cambridge and Somerville are more urban, with more to do and more people, those other places are more semi-urban to suburban. If you choose Cambridge/Somerville, chances are good you won't need a car, which should help your budget. The other places would be easier to have a car, but you might finding yourself needing one, as well.

Where you should look will depend a bit on where you'll actually want to go in Cambridge and where your girlfriend will want to look for work.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:24 PM

974 posts, read 1,898,196 times
OP - you may want to reconsider...

Unless you have a trust fund, or the GF brings in 50k, 35k for two in Cambridge is not doable.

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

Demographics and Statistics FAQ - CDD - City of Cambridge, Massachusetts
According to the 2010 - 2012 American Community Survey median family income totaled $94,100
According to a September 2012 survey of Boston.com and Craigslist.com, the median monthly rents sought for market rate Cambridge apartments were $2,300 for a one bedroom unit, $2,800 for a two bedroom unit and $3,175 for a three bedroom unit.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:13 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
OP - you may want to reconsider...

Unless you have a trust fund, or the GF brings in 50k, 35k for two in Cambridge is not doable.

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

Demographics and Statistics FAQ - CDD - City of Cambridge, Massachusetts
According to the 2010 - 2012 American Community Survey median family income totaled $94,100
According to a September 2012 survey of Boston.com and Craigslist.com, the median monthly rents sought for market rate Cambridge apartments were $2,300 for a one bedroom unit, $2,800 for a two bedroom unit and $3,175 for a three bedroom unit.
The OP should definitely consider carefully before coming, but being below the median isn't something that has to be avoided at all costs. The median is by definition the middle, so half the people in Cambridge are getting by on less than that. Doesn't mean it's going to be easy, but it also doesn't mean that will be impossible. I knew people supporting a family of four on a single postdoc salary; presumably two people with two incomes and no kids could make it work.

That being said, Cambridge is expensive and $35k is not a stellar salary. If it's a position with a lot of potential, either in the company or as a stepping stone to something better, it might be well worth a few years of being relatively poor. If, on the other hand, $35k is about as far as you ever imagining getting with the job you should probably look at a lower cost of living area. I'd recommend looking at what's available, doing a budget, and making an informed decision.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 PM

675 posts, read 1,700,470 times
Do you know in what part of Cambridge would you be working? Were you given a certain T stop you would be near? Based upon that there may be different options for you. Cambridge itself may be out of range depending upon what your gf makes but there are definitely commuter options. Also you would hardly be the first person trying to make it work with a modest income for a job in Cambridge (lots of high prestige & low wage opportunities...)

Old 07-20-2014, 06:02 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Honestly 35K for two is very hard and I am not sure how will they make it with all the costs. Between rent, heat, food, transportation and phone ....they might end up short. Who will rent them anything with so little/no money money in the checking account? They need two jobs ASAP. Or roommates.

At this point they need to go to Lowell, Lawrence, Revere to be able to find something to live in (and it will not be great).

Good luck. I hope you will figure it out.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:35 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
I'm laughing at all these posts saying the OP is crazy and will be destitute if he comes to Cambridge. As someone who lived on <$40k in Boston for years, it's totally feasible, but OP is going to have to keep a few things in mind:

1) Must live with roommates, probably several of them, which can be stressful.
2) Must cook the vast majority of meals at home using cheap(er) ingredients.
3) Can't afford a car
4) Be very careful about letting the GF move in with you with no job/money.
5) You may experience periods of hardship and have to be prepared for that possibility.

It's entirely possible that Cambridge will offer more job opportunities and a better quality of life than the OP can find in PA. It's just hard for us to say for sure if it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge
Honestly 35K for two is very hard and I am not sure how will they make it with all the costs. Between rent, heat, food, transportation and phone ....they might end up short. Who will rent them anything with so little/no money money in the checking account? They need two jobs ASAP. Or roommates.
Finding a situation with lots of roommates helps keep costs down. I agree coming up with first/last/security is going to be a challenge but OP may have some money saved up we don't know about. OP will need to focus on finding a cheap roommate situation within walking distance of the T that includes heat and hot water. It's very difficult to take on a second job as a white collar employee. Employers expect you to be available whenever it's convenient for them and many go as far as to say you need permission from your manager or HR to take a second job. If the OP is working retail it might be possible, but again, both jobs expect you to be available all the time so holding down two jobs at once is very difficult.

Quote:
At this point they need to go to Lowell, Lawrence, Revere to be able to find something to live in (and it will not be great).
Have you looked at the price of a commuter rail pass to Lowell and Lawrence lately? They're both in Zone 6 which costs $289 a month (plus parking at the train station). Revere is doable but the commute would be unpleasant at best.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:25 PM

93 posts, read 146,616 times
I'm from MA (south shore area) but have lived in Philadelphia for 13 years now. I dream everyday of going "home" but have yet to find a job there that I feel would support myself and my 3 kids. The col in MA, especially for housing, is much higher. As others have said create a budget and see how it can work for you. When I calculate take home pay and rent I know I can't do it.

Good luck, I'm jealous and will be rooting for you to make it work!

Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 PM

974 posts, read 1,898,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
1) Must live with roommates, probably several of them, which can be stressful.
4) Be very careful about letting the GF move in with you with no job/money.
You missed the OP's data pearl below - the GF is coming to town. So, you can't poo-poo other peoples comments regarding the difficulties of 2 people--new to Boston--living on 35k.

Without additional resources, and knowing only what was shared in the post, the OP should be made aware of the nigh-impossibility of moving to Boston and making ends meet without dire fortitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2MA View Post

Old 07-22-2014, 05:06 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
You missed the OP's data pearl below - the GF is coming to town. So, you can't poo-poo other peoples comments regarding the difficulties of 2 people--new to Boston--living on 35k.

Without additional resources, and knowing only what was shared in the post, the OP should be made aware of the nigh-impossibility of moving to Boston and making ends meet without dire fortitude.
Right, which is why I emphasized that OP needs to be careful about letting her live with him with no job or money. My advice is based on the idea that she will be earning something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts