Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 12:26 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times

Advertisements

We just got back from Stop & Shop. It was mobbed. There were queues at checkout as long as we've often experienced at Market Basket (but actually very rarely see at Stop & Show). What's interesting is that we were through the self-scan queue very rapidly, as compared to the regular queue we're forced to use at Market Basket, and even the regular queues at Stop & Shop seemed to be flowing pretty fast as well. There are lots of extra baggers and other employees around to help. And the shelves are not only stocked, but deliberately overstocked to address the extra customers they're serving today. So while I'd love to take advantage of the marginally lower prices at Market Basket, I am significantly impressed with Stop & Shop jumping to perform well despite the added pressures of serving double the customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Um no. It's not a "mob" when it's employees and customers.
Actually, it is, but that wasn't the point. You got lost in the weeds: 93.4% of the sentence you were trying to reply to was about the fact that the situation that those folks aren't happy about is the way things are at practically every other company.

Quote:
Minority on the basis of 49 vs 51 is still sizable.
Again you got lost in the weeds. 95.2% of the sentence you were trying to reply to was about the impracticability of this situation having a significant positive impact because the "mob" pushing this issue will generally not be stand-up folks and prosecute these perspectives that they support with regard to Market Basket with the thousands upon thousands of other companies where the same situations prevail and the same changes would be appropriate.

Quote:
To me this indicates that the other side just wants to set it up to fail to sell it off to a competitor. There's no logical business sense in hiring someone from a failed company under the expectations that somehow it would create value for the shareholders let alone the employees. Albertson's?
Can you say, "Toys R Us"? This is not just standard practice, but it is the touchstone of what half of Americans consider success - at least when it counts. Again, I ask: Why should Market Basket be different? Not, "Why is it different?" I know why it is different. I want to know why it should be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:34 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Actually, it is, but that wasn't the point. You got lost in the weeds: 93.4% of the sentence you were trying to reply to was about the fact that the situation that those folks aren't happy about is the way things are at practically every other company.

Again you got lost in the weeds. 95.2% of the sentence you were trying to reply to was about the impracticability of this situation having a significant positive impact because the "mob" pushing this issue will generally not be stand-up folks and prosecute these perspectives that they support with regard to Market Basket with the thousands upon thousands of other companies where the same situations prevail and the same changes would be appropriate.

Can you say, "Toys R Us"? This is not just standard practice, but it is the touchstone of what half of Americans consider success - at least when it counts. Again, I ask: Why should Market Basket be different? Not, "Why is it different?" I know why it is different. I want to know why it should be different.
Why not? Why shouldn't there be a really good place to work? Why shouldn't there be more really good places to work? Why can't things change for the better? So it's not the standard but everyone knows that. The important thing is that it sets a great example of how a business could be run and maybe other businesses could emulate it now that they have seen how well this business model works.

(running and ducking for cover but I still maintain that Market Basket has set a great example and it would be great to see more places that operate this way.)

Old 07-27-2014, 12:42 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Why not?
But that's not an answer to my question: Why shouldn't all employees have a "really good place to work"? The fact that it is an anomaly is important. There is an insidious problem with people who are going to figure that supporting the employees in this case is showing "enough" concern about their neighbors - concentrating concern over fewer people naturally narrows the positive impact to fewer people. Don't get me wrong; it is great to see people caring about others; but it is still important to recognize the limitations inherent in such narrowly-directed efforts.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:03 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
But that's not an answer to my question: Why shouldn't all employees have a "really good place to work"?
They should, and should be held up as an inspiration for others (power of the customers and employees).

Want better where you work, fight for change there. Don't criticize those who are standing ground in their "little world".

I detect a sort of jealous envy among some here. Thankfully, solidarity (and ba#$$) still exists in a few places...

Old 07-27-2014, 03:31 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
Quote:
By that logic, mobs should overturn the management of 99% of all companies.
No, not really, it didn't work when McDonald's employees tried and protested outside McDonald's Headquarters in May. Approx 2000 McDonald's employees turned out. McDonald's was holding a shareholders meeting and executive pay was discussed but no raises for the working group. Of course 2000 wasn't much of a mob compared to the Market Basket protest.

In addition the Market Basket people, they were not out there asking for more money, more vacation days, all they wanted was Artie T back. Big difference!

Did you know in the United States it is impossible to get further than a 107 miles from a McDonald's. "The McFarthest Spot" as it is called in "The McDonalization of America is in northwestern South Dakota. If McDonald employees had been serious and all the employees, vendors and customers had protested the shareholders meeting in May, oh boy what a sight that would have been.

But the Market Basket employees, customers and looks like vendors are making a statement. Nothing may come of it, but they are standing up for someone they believe in and each of them can go home and feel good about it. Even if Arthur S wins, the group did what they feel is right.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:51 PM

374 posts, read 655,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
No, not really, it didn't work when McDonald's employees tried and protested outside McDonald's Headquarters in May. Approx 2000 McDonald's employees turned out. McDonald's was holding a shareholders meeting and executive pay was discussed but no raises for the working group. Of course 2000 wasn't much of a mob compared to the Market Basket protest.

In addition the Market Basket people, they were not out there asking for more money, more vacation days, all they wanted was Artie T back. Big difference!

Did you know in the United States it is impossible to get further than a 107 miles from a McDonald's. "The McFarthest Spot" as it is called in "The McDonalization of America is in northwestern South Dakota. If McDonald employees had been serious and all the employees, vendors and customers had protested the shareholders meeting in May, oh boy what a sight that would have been.

But the Market Basket employees, customers and looks like vendors are making a statement. Nothing may come of it, but they are standing up for someone they believe in and each of them can go home and feel good about it. Even if Arthur S wins, the group did what they feel is right.
I have been in the Burger King Exclusive Zone. I went to the Burger King in Mattoon, Il. It is a non-franchise restaurant that started prior to Burger King! It was neat. The Burger King franchise is not allowed to open any stores near them.

Bill

Old 07-27-2014, 05:10 PM

It's funny, this sort of reminds me of the thread a while back re. MaryLou's coffee. In the coffee world, they would be the Market Basket and Dunkin Donuts would be the Shaw's. Only difference there is; DD's model of apathetic service, inferior product, and high prices don't seem to be hurting them. Starbuck's would be the Roche Bros. Can't decide where Honey Dew fits.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:37 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Good info mdovell about the history of Shaw's and their current state. We went there yesterday only because of the current
MB situation and many of their shelves where bare as they couldn't keep up with the demand. One would think a well run company would be prepared for the onslaught of new customers..they where not.
The floor staff where kind and helpful, but your link was helpful in understanding why they couldn't handle the increased business..
shaws and Hannaford/stopnshop- say they are up in business 25-30%
that's huge

traditionally, sales flyers drive sales- and buyers are ordering groceries for the warehouses quantities 2-3weeks out if not longer- truckloads, not pallets..

so,,all the sudden they get slammed,,,not just in one store,,,but many/most

this is the peak season for grocery sales(besides thanksgiving, and xmas) its the peak of summer - bbq's picnics, backyard gatherings etc.

with 25-50% increase in sales - of shaws, Hannaford, stopnshop - you need IMMEDIATELY more warehouse workers, more retail workers, more truckdrivers

this is so extraordinary and immediate - how do you react?? do you hire -then train new employees , then IMMEDIATELY you aren't needed - because mb employees,,went back to work???????

we are a world of planning and straight lines/projections.
this mb protest is chaos.... and unknowns are everywhere, day to day -

how can a shaws prepare,, when they have absolutely no idea how much business they are going to do?? and do they plan to hire 100's, 1000's of new employees for next week-not knowing if they are needed???

Old 07-27-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
how can a shaws prepare,, when they have absolutely no idea how much business they are going to do?? and do they plan to hire 100's, 1000's of new employees for next week-not knowing if they are needed???
extra hours, OT.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 PM

560 posts, read 751,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's funny, this sort of reminds me of the thread a while back re. MaryLou's coffee. In the coffee world, they would be the Market Basket and Dunkin Donuts would be the Shaw's. Only difference there is; DD's model of apathetic service, inferior product, and high prices don't seem to be hurting them. Starbuck's would be the Roche Bros. Can't decide where Honey Dew fits.
Hannafords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts