Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 03:48 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You are clearly ignorant of the situation, Arthur Ts dad robber Artie S's dad of the Company, S sued for the company ever since he hated Artie T and his side.

Once S took control he did a huge payout to his shareholder and hired corporate vultures as CEOs. So Employees are fighting for their job. What Keeps S from selling to T is hatred because right now they losing millions a day and everyone knows the quickest way to get the company running profits is a sale to Artie T
That is largely correct.

I would kinda add that in the midwest they have another company that is kinda odd in home improvement that is private and family owned...Menards. Granted this is kinda the anti market basket.

MilwaukeeMag.com - Big Money

John Menard dances to the beat of a drum that doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 06:02 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I was just reading....apparently the CEO by the name of Gooch reports to someone who is high up in Hannafords? Actually the European company that owns Hannafords. and somehow J.P Morgan is involved in the mess too? They are both involved in the purchase of Market Basket? Something about these being publicly traded companies and it's not ethical? Just a few questions raised by someone who said this whole thing is starting to smell and that it should be investigated.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:06 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I was just reading....apparently the CEO by the name of Gooch reports to someone who is high up in Hannafords? Actually the European company that owns Hannafords. and somehow J.P Morgan is involved in the mess too? They are both involved in the purchase of Market Basket? Something about these being publicly traded companies and it's not ethical? Just a few questions raised by someone who said this whole thing is starting to smell and that it should be investigated.

I would love to know more about this. I have noticed in the past few weeks that the Hannafords fliers seem to be capitalizing on this more than the Stop, Roche, and Shaws fliers I get weekly. W a headline something like "The lowest prices possible guaranteed. "

And then today I passed a billboard in *Brockton* advertising Friendly's ice cream for $1.75 a half gallon.

1. This is a major price reduction and a great sale. It's usually 2.50 *on sale* and 5 regular.
2. As far as I know, the closest Hannafords is in Kingston. This is at least a 40 min drive from Brockton. A grocery store spending advertising for customers 40 min away? Unusual.

So what is going on here? Why aren't the other companies coming on this fast and strong? How were they able to score such a killer price on a local yet semi-expensive product?

I smell fishy ice cream. ...

Old 08-08-2014, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Again, you seem to miss the point that people need to go somewhere. And at least S&S i union.
Thank you and others who keep reminding people! If we have to patronize a greedy corporation, can't we at least pick the one who treats their workers the best?

A friend of mine worked there for 15 yrs (age 15-30) He now has a small pension an ACTUAL PENSION. I dare Shaws, Walmart, etc to step up to that!

Old 08-08-2014, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
What the heck does being a union have to do with anything? My father was in a union for 32 years. In 2008, the factory he worked for shut down and he never heard from his union rep again - ever (not even the phone call to tell him the place shut down). No job training, no help with finding a new job - nothing.

Support the people, but don't blindly support a concept like a union because - guess what - unions are not all that great sometimes.
All Unions are not created equal. If you go back in the thread, i mention some ways how Stoppy has a very good union and compare it to one I was in that was less than great.

I also have never thought their employees were more rude than any other supermarket employees but I believe this has more to do w specific store vs entire chain.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
I might add that Stop & Shop is a great workplace for young people and adults with developmental disabilities, I can't think of another for-profit business that makes such a commitment in their hiring practices.
To bring a little levity to this situation, I'd like to tell you about a rare bagging savant who once served me at Hannafords. I was Soooo tired after shopping one day that I must have just thrown my arms up in dispare. Then, a new development disabled bagger *laces all the bags from my shoulders to wrists.*

It was grocery carrying bliss!! I was flying like an eagle w my canned goods and soda wings. The bags were spread on me in the perfect weighted ratio making me ask myself why I ever settled for strained forearms and lack of blood in my wrists? Never again, I cried!

Sure, i also looked developmently disabled walking to my car like flappy big bird but I didn't give a fk. This young man took the most care, time and uncanny intuition and i have yet to have a better grocery shopping experience in my life!!

I never say him again. I wonder if others complained about all the arm touching thus sealing his banishment from his bagging kingdom. *sigh* Too progressive for our world.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:50 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
Quote:
You are clearly ignorant of the situation
No. Rather: You simply don't like that reasonable people disagree with your priorities. You simply cannot fathom that reasonable people think that boycotting MB is a pointless and petulant feel-good gesture, deficient of significance. You simply aren't willing to grant that someone could be both informed and think your perspective is wrong. So how about we stop talking about each other and restrict our comments to the topic?

Quote:
So Employees are fighting for their job.
They have a reason. What is the excuse of all the rest of those engaging in this behavior?

Old 08-08-2014, 04:11 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I would love to know more about this. I have noticed in the past few weeks that the Hannafords fliers seem to be capitalizing on this more than the Stop, Roche, and Shaws fliers I get weekly. W a headline something like "The lowest prices possible guaranteed. "

And then today I passed a billboard in *Brockton* advertising Friendly's ice cream for $1.75 a half gallon.

1. This is a major price reduction and a great sale. It's usually 2.50 *on sale* and 5 regular.
2. As far as I know, the closest Hannafords is in Kingston. This is at least a 40 min drive from Brockton. A grocery store spending advertising for customers 40 min away? Unusual.

So what is going on here? Why aren't the other companies coming on this fast and strong? How were they able to score such a killer price on a local yet semi-expensive product?

I smell fishy ice cream. ...
Star has had Friendly's Ice Cream on sale for $1.99 about once a month for the last year. It tastes fine.

Was this billboard on 24? There's a Hannafords in Easton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
No. Rather: You simply don't like that reasonable people disagree with your priorities. You simply cannot fathom that reasonable people think that boycotting MB is a pointless and petulant feel-good gesture, deficient of significance. You simply aren't willing to grant that someone could be both informed and think your perspective is wrong. So how about we stop talking about each other and restrict our comments to the topic?

They have a reason. What is the excuse of all the rest of those engaging in this behavior?
I live in a relatively MB free part of Massachusetts, so I don't go there, but I'm guessing you just answered your own question. Customers are engaging in this behavior because employees are encouraging it. I'm guessing you don't think that a good enough reason, but it is a reason.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:25 AM

296 posts, read 532,138 times
the only reason i've been "boycotting" market basket is because they don't have anything in their store!

Old 08-08-2014, 04:25 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Customers are engaging in this behavior because employees are encouraging it. I'm guessing you don't think that a good enough reason, but it is a reason.
I suppose, but I think there are other aspects. You probably entered the discussion late, and so you may not know what I've been concerned about - specifically, the inconsistency of the general public in their standing up for these principles. I believe many are simply reacting to the exploitation of mob mentality. Perhaps they hold these values, truly, but they have failed to act on them consistently in the past. MB, even under current management, is among the least grievous offenders. The "offenses" regarding treatment of employees and product pricing have been generally ignored as committed by more grievous offenders.

And now I suspect we're seeing glimmers of the reality that the boycott itself is driving the situation to a conclusion that is the exact opposite of what the protest wanted. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts