U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:29 AM

62 posts, read 129,238 times

Advertisements

Relocating from England to MA.

Loved the vibe of Newburyport but, unfortunately, the schools (GreatSchools) don't have the wow factor for us.

However, we like Manchester By the Sea / Essex schools (GreatSchools) but don't know if they have the vibe that Newburyport does.

We have no ties to a work commute, it really comes down to schools and house budget (3 beds, up to $700,000).

Can anyone shed some light?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 10:00 AM

26,029 posts, read 26,090,655 times
They're both extremely expensive.

Manchester is small and has a very beautiful beach but I don't know if the schools are that bad in Newburyport. Newburyport is lively and always has things to do. It has a great YWCA and lots of good places to eat. For a beach you can go to Plum Island which is nearby. You don't have a shopping mall in either place but at least in N'port you have a downtown and a shopping plaza with grocery stores.

This is just from my personal experience but we have known one couple who moved to Manchester and moved out again--said the people were unfriendly and elitist. I'm certain other posters will add more information to help you out.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 AM

The reason I ask is because my husband travels 30 days away / 30 days at home, and with two children like to have something going on to do. We've been to N-port and love the atmosphere and oldy-worldy charm. Thinking Manchester by the Sea will be too isolated????????

Just purely going on Great School stats: N-port 6s and 7s / Manchester Essex 8s and 9s.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 AM

23 posts, read 34,749 times
Newburyport High rated a 9 on great school. How old are your children? The middle school rated an 8 and there is a charter school K-8 rated an 8 also though there is no guarantee to getting into a Charter school apparently.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:29 AM

3,541 posts, read 6,805,875 times
Last year you were asking about Westford and Littleton. What is changing your selection this year?

Old 07-21-2014, 11:30 AM

Our children are 13 and 11. I saw the elementary schools as a 6. I was looking at some website (thought it was Great Schools but I guess not!) which rated them 6s and 7s. My mistake then.

Does middle school start at year 6?

Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Last year you were asking about Westford and Littleton. What is changing your selection this year?
We want to be on the North Shore. We are definitely moving this year! Visa is issued and Green Card will be issued in August.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocationWannabe View Post
We want to be on the North Shore. We are definitely moving this year! Visa is issued and Green Card will be issued in August.
Congratulations! My husband went through the (seemingly endless) process five years ago.

We laugh all the time because every time he goes anywhere he runs into other people from the UK, especially in Newburyport. Being from England he enjoys shopping in the little British shop in Newburyport and he loves the history and architecture in Newburyport. There is also a place where you can get the best curry outside of England (so he says). Yes, Manchester is isolated but Newburyport is not.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Congratulations! My husband went through the (seemingly endless) process five years ago.

We laugh all the time because every time he goes anywhere he runs into other people from the UK, especially in Newburyport. Being from England he enjoys shopping in the little British shop in Newburyport and he loves the history and architecture in Newburyport. There is also a place where you can get the best curry outside of England (so he says). Yes, Manchester is isolated but Newburyport is not.
Thanks for that. Funny, my husband did ask if there were any curry houses in MA! Do you have school-age children? What part of UK?

Old 07-21-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocationWannabe View Post
Thanks for that. Funny, my husband did ask if there were any curry houses in MA! Do you have school-age children? What part of UK?
No kids. My husband comes from Lancs and has traveled all over the US but loves this area the most. Here ya go:

Jewel in the Crown | Authentic Indian Cuisine | Wine & Cocktails | Newburyport, MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts