Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 AM

113 posts, read 154,266 times

Advertisements

Some time back (probably 1 year ago), I posted about trying to buy a house somewhere in the inner 'burbs, in a good school district, for about $550K. It was brutal then and it's gotten worse. I'm still on the sidelines, with a down payment of about $200K saved up. I can see myself stretching to a price of $600K, but that house better be worth it. None of these 100-year-old, 1200 SF crap-shacks with oil heat. For whatever it's worth, my household income is over $200K, and I'm finding this to be a very challenging market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:57 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo21 View Post
Some time back (probably 1 year ago), I posted about trying to buy a house somewhere in the inner 'burbs, in a good school district, for about $550K. It was brutal then and it's gotten worse. I'm still on the sidelines, with a down payment of about $200K saved up. I can see myself stretching to a price of $600K, but that house better be worth it. None of these 100-year-old, 1200 SF crap-shacks with oil heat. For whatever it's worth, my household income is over $200K, and I'm finding this to be a very challenging market.
There are a ton of houses in good school districts for under $600k. Certainly not the best in the state school districts, but certainly in the top 25. If you relax your requirements a bit you can definitely find something.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:49 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
there are a ton of houses in good school districts for under $600k. Certainly not the best in the state school districts, but certainly in the top 25. If you relax your requirements a bit you can definitely find something.
+1

Old 08-26-2014, 02:17 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
And you do know that getting your kid into a "top 25" ranked school system does not necessarily mean that he/she will turn out to be top 25% of his/her peers. I know many mediocre kids who grew up in Newton and Wellesley....

Old 08-26-2014, 02:22 PM

425 posts, read 646,911 times
Do you "need" to be in the 'inner burbs? I was looking for a home a couple years back at $600K and decided to go a little further out in Metrowest. Back in the day when I lived in Arlington Heights, walking to bus -> Redline -> Greenline -> walk to work was not necessarily that much quicker than my boss who used the commuter rail that stopped right at Back Bay.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
There are a ton of houses in good school districts for under $600k. Certainly not the best in the state school districts, but certainly in the top 25. If you relax your requirements a bit you can definitely find something.
There are very few houses that meet my criteria at $600K. Find me 5 SFH in the inner 'burbs with good schools (let's say top 40), gas heat, in somewhat walkable areas, with a viable public transportation option to Boston, 3 bed 2 bath, around 1,500 SF, on a reasonable lot (i.e., 5,000-8,000 SF, not adjacent to the highway or commuter rail tracks), with a garage, in decent condition. If I recall correctly, one could find that back in 2011, but not so much now. What I've described is probably a $750K house in the current market, which seems to be flooded with irrational buyers coked up on low interest rates.

Now, some have said that I should look outside the inner 'burbs or relax my constraints. Yep, I agree, and I will do that in a few months, when work and life slow down a little. I'm thinking Westwood, possibly Bedford (though I'd hate to give up the commuter rail).

And of course there are plenty of mediocre kids in Newton and Wellesley schools, but I would like to afford my son every advantage when it comes to his education. I'd bet that he'll have more opportunities to excel in a school that generally stresses performance and provides a safe and stimulating environment. Don't get me wrong here, I think that parents' involvement is probably the most important factor in determining a child's outcome, but good schools are probably helpful, too.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:41 PM

466 posts, read 643,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo21 View Post
gas heat
This. is your problem. Is it really worth it changing the course of your life over this?

We own a home (being rented out now) that fits all of your criteria except this one, and by the way, does have a gas line on the street so it could be converted. It's worth about $415,000. Something is wrong with your search methods or you're being too picky.

Last edited by Ninotchka P; 08-26-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
This. is your problem. Is it really worth it changing the course of your life over this?

We own a home (being rented out now) that fits all of your criteria except this one, and by the way, does have a gas line on the street so it could be done. It's worth about $415,000. Something is wrong with your search methods or you're being too picky.
Yeah, I'm open to converting from oil to gas, if there's a line on the street. I don't want the operating costs of oil heat. Do you want to sell me your rented house?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:03 PM

466 posts, read 643,446 times
Sorry, good tenants. I'll PM you the town. We have friends who bought a very nice house (larger than ours) also fitting your criteria (and with gas) in the same town. Can't remember what they paid, but around the $600,000 mark sounds right. Of course, the requirement for gas added a few years onto their search.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
Sorry, good tenants. I'll PM you the town. We have friends who bought a very nice house (larger than ours) also fitting your criteria (and with gas) in the same town. Can't remember what they paid, but around the $600,000 mark sounds right. Of course, the requirement for gas added a few years onto their search.
Yeah. Relatively sparse gas infrastructure around here, it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts