Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 3,258 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Will be relo'ing for a job in Framingham. However, I am an artist and want to be in a multi-cultural, artsy area where I can still have a reasonable chance to get West without having a crazy (anything over 1 hour each way) commute. Trying to keep rent and studio (assume these will be separate locales but would like to be walking distance) cost below $2K per month. In what areas should I be looking? Thx friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 06:27 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,428,446 times
What do you mean by "get West"?

Old 08-24-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
What do you mean by "get West"?
I will be commuting to Framingham, which is generally west of where I believe I want to be.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:20 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
Hi all. Will be relo'ing for a job in Framingham. However, I am an artist and want to be in a multi-cultural, artsy area where I can still have a reasonable chance to get West without having a crazy (anything over 1 hour each way) commute. Trying to keep rent and studio (assume these will be separate locales but would like to be walking distance) cost below $2K per month. In what areas should I be looking? Thx friends.
How about Waltham? You have the Mills, Lincoln Arts, the revamping CDA and many other spaces. I do not know how much it is to rent studio space but you'd have easy access to 90. You could drive to West Newton and take the commuter rail to Framingham as another option.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
How about Waltham? You have the Mills, Lincoln Arts, the revamping CDA and many other spaces. I do not know how much it is to rent studio space but you'd have easy access to 90. You could drive to West Newton and take the commuter rail to Framingham as another option.
Thx for the suggestion of Waltham. But isn't it a tad surburban? I am looking for a vibrancy (bars, restaurants, galleries, etc) that is usually only found within close proximity to the downtown areas of large cities. If Waltham has all that great!

Old 08-24-2014, 08:15 PM

41 posts, read 72,094 times
I would look in Roslindale or parts of Dorchester. Other multicultural and less expensive options include Chelsea, Lynn, Everett, Revere, East Boston.

I don't think renting two separate spaces is doable under $2,000/month unless you are very, very lucky and find a good deal. Maybe you can connect with other artists and share a space.

Last edited by shrinkberry; 08-24-2014 at 08:26 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 04:49 AM

316 posts, read 724,012 times
Waltham does have a pretty vibrant urban section, especially around Moody Street. I don't know how artsy it really is; I think it skews more in the direction of students and young professionals who were students in the area, but I could be wrong there - a previous poster referred to some studios that I'm not aware of, so perhaps things are changing.

I live in Everett and think it and the surrounding cities are great, but I don't think the commute to Framingham would be awesome at rush hours.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:15 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Waltham also has that steam punk fest. Not my thing, but some people think it is pretty cool. Lots of SCAndians seem to settle in Waltham.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:33 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
If you wanted to save on transportation, you could look at Framingham itself. There are a number of pretty active artist studios around town, I think Fountain Street and also some in Saxonville, the Northeast side of town in converted mill/loft type buildings. The Danforth Museum in Framingham is pretty active these days as well.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 PM

Thanks all. Good news...there seems to be a lot of areas that support artists. The bad news...there seems to be a lot of areas that support artists. Looks like I have several areas I need to explore. First world problem for sure. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts