Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 01:43 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I would also agree with places like Dartmouth, Fairhaven, Westport, Mattapoisett, Marion, etc. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I don't hate that they're fairly undiscovered either.
I hesitated to include Marion and Mattapoisett because they have always been wealthy towns (while in a very low key way), and it's not like they've ever really been lumped in with FR/NB. Certainly a little off the radar compared with the Cape though, in a way more like far N Shore towns such as Topsfield, Rowley, etc. Keep them the way they are, please.

Now Fairhaven, that's a waay underrated gem. Even places like Swansea and Somerset have some beautiful spots.

Another disadvantage FR has over NB (or most places) is its DT. Talking about a huge urban renewal disaster. While the waterfront has potential, I just can't ever imagine DT being reclaimed.

Last edited by massnative71; 08-31-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 06:16 PM

132 posts, read 182,345 times
Beverly and Danvers

Old 09-01-2014, 07:16 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Southeastern MA - Agree the South Coast towns of Westport, Dartmouth, Fairhaven, etc. --- overshadowed by the Cape.

Northeastern MA - Lynnfield --- Beautiful, quiet, affluent town that gets overlooked because of the name similarity of a neighboring city.

Central MA - Upton --- Nice quiet town, great location and schools but gets overshadowed by the larger Metro West towns like Westboro, Hopkinton, etc.

Western MA - Wilbraham --- Just as affluent and safe (if not safer) as Longmeadow, but never gets any recognition.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
A lot of the towns/cities in Western Mass... well except Springfield! Western MA is often overlooked. When I tell people that I grew up in MA, everyone always assumes the Boston area. However, I grew up in E.Longmeadow.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Touisett area of Swansea. Seaview Avenue along Coles River & Mt Hope Bay is a private, preserved seaside location. Lots of shingle sided houses maintained as they were when built. Right out of Coastal Living magazine!

Old 09-03-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I hesitated to include Marion and Mattapoisett because they have always been wealthy towns (while in a very low key way), and it's not like they've ever really been lumped in with FR/NB. Certainly a little off the radar compared with the Cape though, in a way more like far N Shore towns such as Topsfield, Rowley, etc. Keep them the way they are, please.

Now Fairhaven, that's a waay underrated gem. Even places like Swansea and Somerset have some beautiful spots.

Another disadvantage FR has over NB (or most places) is its DT. Talking about a huge urban renewal disaster. While the waterfront has potential, I just can't ever imagine DT being reclaimed.
Swansea has the picturesque Touisett neighborhood. It's a hidden gem. Seaview Avenue, which runs along the bay, is one of the most beautiful roads in Massachusetts.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
I think under-rated and under-publicized are being a little mixed up
Small Towns like Somerset, Blackstone, etc don't have an undeserved bad Reputation, because they really don't have a statewide image. No one really unfairly puts down those towns.
Not saying Small Towns are not fair game, Orange, North Adams, Greenfield, Amesbury etc all have reputations state wide
Underrated and unknown are different.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Small Towns like Somerset, Blackstone, etc don't have an undeserved bad Reputation, because they really don't have a statewide image. No one really unfairly puts down those towns.
Not saying Small Towns are not fair game, Orange, North Adams, Greenfield, Amesbury etc all have reputations state wide
While Underrated and Unknown are different, an Unknown town can be Underrated. However, it would be hard for an Underrated town with a poor public image to be Unknown. The media runs with bad publicity.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:56 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Blackstone!!!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:15 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Somerset gets lumped in with its neighbor Fall River and being home to the power plant. True that; but it also has both beautiful neighborhoods with amazing views, and a character and uniqueness that your typical Rte. 128/Boston Magazine prize winning/5 threads a day on C-D about/overpriced Boston suburb can only dream of. It doesn't even get the love seen by the Framinghams and the Roslindales for cripes sake!

I think that's a pretty good example of a town that's under-rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts