Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:47 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,637,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaram View Post
Ha-ha! Good for you guys (happy wife=happy life, right?)

Proves yet again that for each his/ her own, in terms of commute and anything else in life, really...

OP, I'm glad this thread could answer and help you.
I actually also wanted to ask you, why does Boston equal dream job?

Is it the wish to be employed in more urban environment? is it the job offers that you think are more attractive (better package, better pay)?
I have several friends in different fields (IT, biology, other research) who recently had job changes and commute changes, because the whole company moved outer west (or out of immediate Boston area). Often when company grows, it just HAS to move farther out because there is no space in Boston area to accommodate it with all the expansion (or it costs too much to justify). Couple of friends had decent commute, were thinking of moving even closer to Boston, but then were glad they didn't as they now have to drive farther OUT.
So no matter what industry you are in, I wouldn't be too hung up on "Boston only" positions. It may SEEM that there are more options, but is not necessarily so, and you could find equal or better pay elsewhere.

If you like urban environment per se - visit Boston on weekends and days off.
Best of luck with everything!
Perception by many is that the more innovative, often newer, companies are in Cambridge and Boston. People who like pushing the edge want to work in such places. The presence of colleges adds panache.

As the economy improves and office space downtown becomes more scarce, the suburbs are rising once again.

As I mentioned on another thread, a brand new co-office complex is up in West Concord.

And Hopkinton is developing an innovation center for startups.

Marlborough is attracting many new big business jobs.

A shift is definitely taking place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 11:22 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,804,851 times
Quote:

Is it the wish to be employed in more urban environment? is it the job offers that you think are more attractive (better package, better pay)?
I have several friends in different fields (IT, biology, other research) who recently had job changes and commute changes, because the whole company moved outer west (or out of immediate Boston area). Often when company grows, it just HAS to move farther out because there is no space in Boston area to accommodate it with all the expansion (or it costs too much to justify). Couple of friends had decent commute, were thinking of moving even closer to Boston, but then were glad they didn't as they now have to drive farther OUT.
So no matter what industry you are in, I wouldn't be too hung up on "Boston only" positions. It may SEEM that there are more options, but is not necessarily so, and you could find equal or better pay elsewhere.

For me, I just feel healthier and more energetic when I work in Boston as opposed to working in the suburbs. It's hard to explain, but when I drove directly to work I used to drag my feet to and from my car and felt sluggish during the day. I saw the same 33 people everyday - 30 coworkers and my wife and 2 kids. Life got repetitive. Now I walk an extra 1-2 miles every day - to and from the train and during my lunch break. Seeing thousands of people every day going about their business also gives me more energy. When I finally get home after work, I feel more relaxed. I sleep through the night now because I feel like I expend a lot more energy during the day. Before I used to wake up several times throughout the night because I wasn't tired enough. Of course there could be other factors at play, but this is just my general feeling of working in the suburbs vs the city.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:36 PM

404 posts, read 526,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
For me, I just feel healthier and more energetic when I work in Boston as opposed to working in the suburbs. It's hard to explain, but when I drove directly to work I used to drag my feet to and from my car and felt sluggish during the day. I saw the same 33 people everyday - 30 coworkers and my wife and 2 kids. Life got repetitive. Now I walk an extra 1-2 miles every day - to and from the train and during my lunch break. Seeing thousands of people every day going about their business also gives me more energy. When I finally get home after work, I feel more relaxed. I sleep through the night now because I feel like I expend a lot more energy during the day. Before I used to wake up several times throughout the night because I wasn't tired enough. Of course there could be other factors at play, but this is just my general feeling of working in the suburbs vs the city.
I think you're taking public transit? driving commute on 128 makes me feel sweaty, insane & delirious...kinda the opposite of your euphoria haha.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:18 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,805,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Perception by many is that the more innovative, often newer, companies are in Cambridge and Boston. People who like pushing the edge want to work in such places. The presence of colleges adds panache.

As the economy improves and office space downtown becomes more scarce, the suburbs are rising once again.

As I mentioned on another thread, a brand new co-office complex is up in West Concord.

But at the same point why not just locate the company in the suburbs to begin with?

I used to work for a major multi billion dollar worth company in Mass. It has operations in Boston but years ago it moved to the south shore...why? Lower costs, less traffic etc.

If they won't even build dorms at UMass Boston what makes us think they'll make more apartments en masse? Just take some of the suburban areas and build there or take the other urban areas and move there which already has happened.

Boston is nice don't get me wrong but the added traffic and costs are just not worth it for many businesses. You can't control the traffic for say a sporting event or moving day/in or out etc.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:32 AM

11 posts, read 16,893 times
Quote:
My wife actually likes my 3 hour commute better than my old 50 minute commute. She says since I don't help cook anyways, it doesn't make a difference whether I'm home or not. We actually have a better relationship now that I'm not home to bother her Being home to get the kids ready for bed is all that matters.
Quote:
Ha-ha! Good for you guys (happy wife=happy life, right?)

Proves yet again that for each his/ her own, in terms of commute and anything else in life, really...
Haha.. right? I can understand that too, when I'm in the kitchen I'm on a role without any interruptions.

Quote:

That's a good question. I guess to try to break apart my perspective, for one thing I always just thought "Boston" for furthering my career (city). Companies outside of Boston, fewer and far between, more competitive, lesser qualified for those big corporations and in Boston there's more start-up software companies? Also, within my job search engines, I do in fact have a 50 mile radius from Boston. However my job search filters (LinkedIn, CareerBuilder, Monster, Dice, ZipRecruiter, Indeed, Beyond, and Kforce) still keep bringing up mostly Boston/Cambridge job openings. So there's that. And yes, for me a more urban environment seems more vibrant. As well, job openings in Boston include some fun perks in their listings (foosball, beer in the fridge, company games and contests) which implies a more youthful energetic fresh atmosphere, whereas big companies in the suburbs seem more straightforward and standard (and therefore by comparison, more stuffy so to speak?) business-like atmosphere (not that I expect to goof off all day but it's important to me to be a part of a fun "young" energetic atmosphere). This has just been my limited observation though. But really the main reason is that that's what my search engines are finding for me anyway, even based on a 50 mile radius, the 4 or 5 job titles I have in each filter in each search engine, and "software companies" (some are without "software company" actually).

I have had that thought too ("Just leave Boston for the fun and entertainment, would the commute in and out every day for work make me tired of even just visiting Boston for recreational purposes...?" ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post

Yes! (First paragraph of this post)

And this is also good news, if companies are sprawling out to the suburbs.

Quote:
I can totally agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
But at the same point why not just locate the company in the suburbs to begin with?

I used to work for a major multi billion dollar worth company in Mass. It has operations in Boston but years ago it moved to the south shore...why? Lower costs, less traffic etc.

If they won't even build dorms at UMass Boston what makes us think they'll make more apartments en masse? Just take some of the suburban areas and build there or take the other urban areas and move there which already has happened.

Boston is nice don't get me wrong but the added traffic and costs are just not worth it for many businesses. You can't control the traffic for say a sporting event or moving day/in or out etc.
This is a good point too. I also assume that employers during the interview process do tend to choose the candidate, if it's a close match, who lives closer to the company in proximity. They don't want to have to deal with employees constantly coming in late due to traffic or weather, or to burn out altogether.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorgina View Post
That's a good question. I guess to try to break apart my perspective, for one thing I always just thought "Boston" for furthering my career (city). Companies outside of Boston, fewer and far between, more competitive, lesser qualified for those big corporations and in Boston there's more start-up software companies? Also, within my job search engines, I do in fact have a 50 mile radius from Boston. However my job search filters (LinkedIn, CareerBuilder, Monster, Dice, ZipRecruiter, Indeed, Beyond, and Kforce) still keep bringing up mostly Boston/Cambridge job openings. So there's that. And yes, for me a more urban environment seems more vibrant. As well, job openings in Boston include some fun perks in their listings (foosball, beer in the fridge, company games and contests) which implies a more youthful energetic fresh atmosphere, whereas big companies in the suburbs seem more straightforward and standard (and therefore by comparison, more stuffy so to speak?) business-like atmosphere (not that I expect to goof off all day but it's important to me to be a part of a fun "young" energetic atmosphere). This has just been my limited observation though. But really the main reason is that that's what my search engines are finding for me anyway, even based on a 50 mile radius, the 4 or 5 job titles I have in each filter in each search engine, and "software companies" (some are without "software company" actually).
When I think of big companies in the suburbs I think of middle-aged people who've been with the company for 20 years. Sounds stable, but not very exciting. Despite the long commute I still don't think you should try to limit your job geographically if you're just trying to break into the market here. If the job in Boston happens to come before the job in the suburbs then take it and try it out for 6 months. If a job in the city isn't a good fit then you'll know pretty quickly and you can start looking for something in the suburbs, but at least you'll be collecting a paycheck.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:50 PM

226 posts, read 386,387 times
listen... you are young and unburdened by crotchfruit (i have a couple so trust me i say this lovingly).... work in the city.

you have plenty of time to be a desperate housewife in the suburbs when you are old and no fun anymore.

i've lived country, suburbs, inner cities all over this fine country. everyone should get a chance to live or work in a big city if they want it. there's nothing like it.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:40 AM

11 posts, read 16,893 times
Thanks again, everyone! I've got yet another interview in Boston, so I can't help but see a commute as a part of my career. Hopefully you won't see me back here in a few months completely bald from pulling my hair out.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorgina View Post
Thanks again, everyone! I've got yet another interview in Boston, so I can't help but see a commute as a part of my career. Hopefully you won't see me back here in a few months completely bald from pulling my hair out.
Keep us updated. And yes, I hope not either, for the sake of all of us. A bald woman would be scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts