Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:13 AM

10,015 posts, read 15,662,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Did we ever hear what this guy's disability was? Is he physically or mentally disabled?
He has Asperger's Syndrome

Old 09-24-2014, 11:39 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Its not just you MA is a tough place to make a living between high cost of living, taxes and the super educated it makes it tough to get a high paying job.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:54 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
I'm not looking for a high paying job. I'm looking for any job at any pay I can get. Boston is too far away and the commuter rail is too expensive for me, and nobody is going to hire someone 30 miles away for a minimum wage job when there are plenty of people already living down there that will be a "safer bet" to hire. MA is not a good place to be poor. Can't live in the major 'hub' where all the jobs are 'Boston' unless you have the money to pay for an overpriced apartment. I figured this out a long time ago. Just like NYC and most of California. High cost of living and a shaky job situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The problem is that he doesn't want to hear reality, only how "he" thinks the world should work and what works best for him. That's why I'm not gonna bother with anymore advice, it's like your beating a dead horse.
Because I don't have the money to commute 60 miles per day round trip for a $8.00 part time job where I will have no money to pay for rent because all the money will be spent on the commute (I don't get the luxury of living for free and having no expenses in life and having a wheelbarrow of disposable income coming in every week). Only reason I get to live now without paying for rent is because my mom understands I can't find a job anywhere because of the way hiring is done these days, and all the damage the economy has done to our job market. Because I don't want to live off the government for the rest of my life. Because I don't want to be the subject of somebody's cruel joke. Because I don't have a car. Because everything is EXPENSIVE in this state and isn't obtainable to people in my situation.

Let's here your theory on why I fill out an application and never hear a word from the employer. Let's hear it. Part time minimum wage job $8.00 no response after submitting application. Tell me why.

Last edited by parried; 09-24-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 04:20 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I'm not looking for a high paying job. I'm looking for any job at any pay I can get. Boston is too far away and the commuter rail is too expensive for me, and nobody is going to hire someone 30 miles away for a minimum wage job when there are plenty of people already living down there that will be a "safer bet" to hire. MA is not a good place to be poor. Can't live in the major 'hub' where all the jobs are 'Boston' unless you have the money to pay for an overpriced apartment. I figured this out a long time ago. Just like NYC and most of California. High cost of living and a shaky job situation.

Because I don't have the money to commute 60 miles per day round trip for a $8.00 part time job where I will have no money to pay for rent because all the money will be spent on the commute (I don't get the luxury of living for free and having no expenses in life and having a wheelbarrow of disposable income coming in every week). Only reason I get to live now without paying for rent is because my mom understands I can't find a job anywhere because of the way hiring is done these days, and all the damage the economy has done to our job market. Because I don't want to live off the government for the rest of my life. Because I don't want to be the subject of somebody's cruel joke. Because I don't have a car. Because everything is EXPENSIVE in this state and isn't obtainable to people in my situation.

Let's here your theory on why I fill out an application and never hear a word from the employer. Let's hear it. Part time minimum wage job $8.00 no response after submitting application. Tell me why.
That's the problem, how is anyone on this anonymous internet forum supposed to pinpoint what your problem has been in obtaining employment? No one knows who you are, how you present yourself, or the many other details about oneself that may influence that. What posters here can tell you (and they have), are steps that would improve your (or anyone's) situation other than venting on City-Data. I don't really know what else you expect to achieve here.

I know you are in a real tough spot man and I'm not discounting that at all. But do remember that there are those with worse misfortunes than yourself (that may not have any govt. assistance or a mother around to help, not to mention the ability/willingness to work like you are). People who don't even have options of further job training or volunteering (two things that would really better your chances). I really think you're crazy for not doing one of these, after failing to find work for so long imho. I suggest opening your mind up a little bit, otherwise you will be back on here in another two years complaining how no employer will give you the light of day.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:15 PM

It takes money to get trained. Even with aid and grants, still need more money. I need some kind of job, before I can go forward with anything else. A no skill job. I'm tired of being jerked around.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:08 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,171 times
Quote:
Why is it so hard to get a minimum wage job in Massachusetts? Particularly in the Lowell, Lawrence, Haverhill, Methuen, Andover areas. I've been looking for 4 years. Either I never get a call from places I apply, or the situation turns into a waste of time because the employer is rude, or unresponsive after interviews.

What is it about this area that makes it so hard to find a simple job?
Sorry, if you can't get a minimum wage job in 4 weeks your not trying, let alone 4 YEARS! Your doing something to sabotage yourself.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:16 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
He has Asperger's Syndrome
http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/consumer/d...catioal-rehab/

http://www.in a job ass.gov/eohhs/co...seyB;36622203]

Available Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Services

Assistance For Individuals | Asperger EmploymentAsperger Employment

After looking over his situation. And if parried does have asperger's then honestly...a lot jobs are probably out. Especially service jobs...which are alot of the job he is looking at. Basically parried is going to have to be retrained, placed, and be monitored by a state program. That is about it. Perhaps the link above can be a jump off point for him.

Quote:
It takes money to get trained. Even with aid and grants, still need more money. I need some kind of job, before I can go forward with anything else. A no skill job. I'm tired of being jerked around.

Sorry. But after looking at your situation and knowing what your disability is. I have to say that on your own, your pretty much doomed. You will in most likelyhood never find a job. You and who ever is willing to help you have to figure out how to get you in to a state program that will train you, place you in a job that fits your level of disability and temperment, and will hopefully be continually following up your job situation. That about it. Period. The link above may help.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:11 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Did we ever hear what this guy's disability was? Is he physically or mentally disabled?
Parried has Aspergers Syndrome. He is about 24 years old, has a GED, a drivers license, no work history, and no car. He has blamed not having a car for hindering his work search. He admits that he is awkward around people and has to work to make eye contact with others. He also seems to have no friends, no one to help get him an "in" with getting a job.

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...e-forever.html

And Parried's first persona on this message board was silenthelpreturns who griped about the same lack of employment opportunities and that user name was banned. Most of his reputation points seem to come from his numerous threads in the Employment section where he rants about how unfair employers are.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:42 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,393 times
Quote:
Sorry, if you can't get a minimum wage job in 4 weeks your not trying, let alone 4 YEARS! Your doing something to sabotage yourself.
I dare you to come down to Georgia and say that. It's as barren as the Sahara

Everyone's advice is well-meaning and all that...but having been/am in the OP's shoes I can tell you that hardly ANYTHING compares to the misery of terminal unemployment.

If I was without a marriage and mortgage...I would be hiking out of here as fast as my feet could carry me.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Parried has Aspergers Syndrome. He is about 24 years old, has a GED, a drivers license, no work history, and no car. He has blamed not having a car for hindering his work search. He admits that he is awkward around people and has to work to make eye contact with others. He also seems to have no friends, no one to help get him an "in" with getting a job.

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...e-forever.html

And Parried's first persona on this message board was silenthelpreturns who griped about the same lack of employment opportunities and that user name was banned. Most of his reputation points seem to come from his numerous threads in the Employment section where he rants about how unfair employers are.
This poster is spreading disinformation. I said I CAN make eye contact at the beginning of that thread. Not that I can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
I'm simply applying for the jobs as everyone else is. I have no control over the fact that these employers decide not to call me for an interview. There is no sabotaging. Just a weak economy, floods of applications, and a little bit of corruption going on (hiring only friends, throwing people's applications out, discrimination). Try coming to a part of MA that isn't Boston and tell me how easy it is to get any job. Ya won't.

Last edited by parried; 09-24-2014 at 08:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts