U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:50 AM

130 posts, read 801,892 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I've been to the MBTA website to get times/distances from the towns to the closest train, and the train ride into South Station...

But can anyone tell me about the drive TO the train stations from these towns? Is it a quick 5.6 miles? Or is it an excruciating, bumper-to-bumper 5.6 miles?

Also, I'm of the impression that from Sudbury you're better off driving? Is that accurate?

Thanks very much,
K
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 12:15 PM

735 posts, read 3,338,531 times
just a quick response....

Sudbury- unless you are working near North Station, then you are right- better off just driving.

Holliston- think farms and winding country roads. It will take a solid 15-20 to get to Ashland T station

Hopkinton- easiest of the three- probably 5 minutes to Southborough's station if you are near Rt. 85

With all three- it really depends what part of town you are on.

Want a suggestion: Ashland and Southborough!

Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,050,946 times
Sudbury is in the middle...

It depends on which part of sudbury do you live... What time do you plan to leave... If you live north of Rt20, you can go to Concord, West Concord or Lincoln station.... If you live south of Rt20, you may be closer to Natick/Framingham station. Crossing Rt20 to take the Worcester line is not the easiest.

The decision to drive or take the commuter rail... depends if you like to drive or not...
Financially, ~$6/ride on commuter rail versus Rt90 tolls ($2.50 each way every day starting Jan. assuming you get on at Rt128; more if you get on at Natick), gas (~2-3gal/day or $6-9) and parking in Boston($300-400/month)...

Old 12-27-2007, 12:31 PM

also might add- the commuter rail is not as cheap as it seems these days. Fares have been increased dramatically the past few years.

But it does depend on where you work and exactly what part of these towns...

Old 12-27-2007, 01:04 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,649,085 times
MassPike tolls (as well as bridges and tunnels) are going up Jan 1. Thank you Gov Patrick.

I've never done the math for driving vs public transit. But the gap is probably closing.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:55 PM

130 posts, read 801,892 times
Hi, everyone -

Thanks for the insight. The job is in the financial district, so S. Station is preferable.

As far as drive vs. train, it's as much about the hassle factor (sit and read the newspaper vs. fight traffic) and about the carbon factor (one less car on the road) and the parking downtown factor. (cost and availability)

We're trying to narrow our list of towns to consider, and although Sudbury is WAY high on the list, it may have to go if the commute's too much of a drag on everything else.

Thanks for the suggestion of Southboro; it's on the list. just seems far out, but maybe it's not as far as it seems. In a perfect world, would love the commute to be no more than an hour, or 90 minutes tops, including the waiting on the platform, the walk to the office from S.Station, etc.

Thanks very much,
Kim

Old 12-27-2007, 02:36 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,050,946 times
If you live on the east side of Sudbury, your commute via your car can be as little as 30 minutes and 55 minutes tops (depend on time of travel). If you live on the West side of Sudbury, you can easily add 15-20 minutes to the commute. Whereas driving from Holliston or Hopkinton will be a minimum of 45 minutes - 1 hr.

In all cases, you'll need about 15-20 minutes to get to a train station if you decide on commuter rail.

Another town to consider is Wayland... where it is much closer the highways.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:11 PM

FWIW, when we were looking to move here, back in 1997, we really liked Sudbury. But we just couldn't find the right house. If we had, we probably would have wound up there and not where we did. And my husband was also working in the financial district at the time.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:08 PM

Sudbury is a great town- just slightly off any easy route to the highway. If you connect via 128, you are screwed. Rush hours will add 20-30 minutes just getting onto the Pike. Or heading south to connect via Natick will add just about the same amount of time on those back roads. And being that you are working in the Financial District- heading into North Station will be no help at all. Great town, but I would rule it out.

Although Soutborough seems farther- in commute time it is MUCH closer. They have their own Commuter Rail Station with access to South Station. The neighborhoods south of the Pike in the west part of Southville are fantastic. (We live in Ashland right on the border) There are also some neighborhoods right over the border in Hopkinton that would fit the bill and be 5 minutes to the T at most. And then there is Ashland- one stop closer to the city and very easy access to the Pike as well. The neighborhoods on the west side of town are amazing- don't rule them out just because Ashland borders Framingham. The train into South Station is an hour flat, but I have left our house at 7:30am and been to Southie around 8:45 on many occasions- that traffic moves well on the Pike on most days...

If you want specifics on some neighborhoods, feel free to PM me. I think making the jump from searching in one town to narrowing it to neighborhoods really can make a difference..

The entire area is beautiful- Hopkinton, Holliston, Ashland, and Southborough. We even find ourselves poking around Westborough from time to time, but that is a little too far out to live for us.

Last edited by NY'er lost in MA; 12-27-2007 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-27-2007, 07:53 PM

If you can afford Sudbury, I also recommend you look in Westwood. Excellent school system, right on 128 and the train. Closer in than Sudbury but still the suburban/rural feel to it. Once again, we just couldn't find the right house so we didn't wind up there either. But that was back in 1997, and the market was hot. There were very few homes on the market. There's quite an inventory now.

I can't remember if you have kids and/or if schools are a factor. But I'd rate Westwood better than Hopkinton or Holliston and the high school as good as, probably better than L-S. L-S (Lincoln-Sudbury) is a regional high school and any time you have two towns trying to run one school, it creates issues.

Westwood HS just went through a huge renovation and the new school, athletic field, pool and other facilities look great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts