Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:09 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times

Advertisements

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...NEWS/712260324

Interesting? I wonder if this is a good or bad sign for Massachusetts?
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 04:30 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,041 times
Hi Baystater. I'm not a fan of illegal immigration but I also understand that many citizens won't work many of the low paying jobs that these folks will. One quote I heard (attributed to a US citizen) was "I wouldn't get out of bed for that pay!" On the other hand, illegals have driven down some wages, and not only on the Cape. No taxes, no health or other deductions makes them very attractive to employers. I also remember how difficult it has been for Cape businesses to get work visas for their summer help following 2001.
It's a double-edged sword. No one wants to pay the increased costs associated with businesses (hotels, restaurants, landscapers, contractors, etc.) paying a decent living wage for citizens, but we seem to be the first to cry foul because these same businesses are hiring illegals to make ends meet. Yet it is true that illegals tax our health care, social, and human services. Not to mention school systems.
Yet, there are plenty of legal immigrants who have done it "the right way".
Regardless, this article has created quite the firestorm on the CCT forums. Nineteen pages of comments last I checked!
It's certainly an issue which has been put on the back burner during this Presidential election season. It's such a hot-button issue that none of the candidates want to touch it. That's a shame.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:52 PM

Default bannana republics

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
Hi Baystater. I'm not a fan of illegal immigration but I also understand that many citizens won't work many of the low paying jobs that these folks will. One quote I heard (attributed to a US citizen) was "I wouldn't get out of bed for that pay!" On the other hand, illegals have driven down some wages, and not only on the Cape. No taxes, no health or other deductions makes them very attractive to employers. I also remember how difficult it has been for Cape businesses to get work visas for their summer help following 2001.
It's a double-edged sword. No one wants to pay the increased costs associated with businesses (hotels, restaurants, landscapers, contractors, etc.) paying a decent living wage for citizens, but we seem to be the first to cry foul because these same businesses are hiring illegals to make ends meet. Yet it is true that illegals tax our health care, social, and human services. Not to mention school systems.
Yet, there are plenty of legal immigrants who have done it "the right way".

Regardless, this article has created quite the firestorm on the CCT forums. Nineteen pages of comments last I checked!
It's certainly an issue which has been put on the back burner during this Presidential election season. It's such a hot-button issue that none of the candidates want to touch it. That's a shame.
Actually triple C. I rather concerned about some of the reasons they are leaving. Like not having work in the first place. I wonder if this is a small indicator of the health of the economy of Massachusetts. While I know there a still a lot of good jobs. It concerns me that some of the lower wage jobs are not there even for illegals.

And for the Illegal issue itself. I don't have a problem with the illegals trying to make a better living for themselves. What I do have a problem with is the illegals home countries. I believer those countries just don't care about there own citizens. And we have to pay the price for those Countries corrupt governments. While I do know our past with the "banana republics" It's time to move on and forward. It's time we demand these countries start taking care of there own or we will take serious action with them. But that just my two cents on that issue.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:33 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,600 times
yes- the economy is in trouble if you ask me. Between the cost of living here in MA and the mortgage industry correction and falling real estate values- I don't see how it can continue. I wish I had more to add, but it is actually depressing on a number of levels and equally frustrating....

Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 AM

What I'm hearing more and more, and not only from Cape Cod employers, is that they won't hire undocumented workers for fear of reprisal from the government and from their customers.
I don't have an issue with anyone striving for a better life. Just do it legally. I know several immigrants who have gone from undocumented to documented. It isn't easy and it isn't cheap, but it can be done.
In addition, there are many undocumented workers who do not feed our economy. They send anything beyond their basic costs of living back to their native country.
It's a very complicated issue and I don't pretend to have the answers.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:57 AM

142 posts, read 660,756 times
Don't forget that here in Massachusetts health coverage is required by law starting in 2008 - just a few days away. I would think all of those employers hiring on the cheap and not offering health care benefits have pulled out their calculators and are rethinking their business plan.

Don't forget no one is denied health coverage here if they need it. The emergency room has served as that source for the uninsured for many years - costs of which are passed back to the government and eventually the taxpayers. Either way, we pay for it.

It seems to me only the employers with the Wal-Mart business mentality have truly benefited from illegal workers. It's time for a change.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 AM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
There was an article similar to this published in the metro west paper about a month ago.
Supposedly, the Brazilians are leaving Framingham as well. I don't know if there are any real numbers to back up this claim.

Did you know that the illegals can buy into the state subsidized health insurance plan?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
What I'm hearing more and more, and not only from Cape Cod employers, is that they won't hire undocumented workers for fear of reprisal from the government and from their customers.
I don't have an issue with anyone striving for a better life. Just do it legally. I know several immigrants who have gone from undocumented to documented. It isn't easy and it isn't cheap, but it can be done.
In addition, there are many undocumented workers who do not feed our economy. They send anything beyond their basic costs of living back to their native country.
It's a very complicated issue and I don't pretend to have the answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjscdn View Post
Don't forget that here in Massachusetts health coverage is required by law starting in 2008 - just a few days away. I would think all of those employers hiring on the cheap and not offering health care benefits have pulled out their calculators and are rethinking their business plan.

Don't forget no one is denied health coverage here if they need it. The emergency room has served as that source for the uninsured for many years - costs of which are passed back to the government and eventually the taxpayers. Either way, we pay for it.

It seems to me only the employers with the Wal-Mart business mentality have truly benefited from illegal workers. It's time for a change.

Hmmmm........very good answer guys. I wonder if this type of thing would happen if national if the U.S. had a national health care program?

Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 AM

I just checked the Health Connector website and it indicates you have to be a US Citizen/National or Legal Alien to be eligible. Couldn't find anything saying undocumented are eligible.
I wonder what will happen when an uninsured, undocumented immigrant tries to obtain emergency room care. That's going to be a problem for hospitals. I'm sure they don't want to deny care to anyone but they won't be able to write it off as they have in the past.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:03 PM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
I just checked the Health Connector website and it indicates you have to be a US Citizen/National or Legal Alien to be eligible. Couldn't find anything saying undocumented are eligible.
I wonder what will happen when an uninsured, undocumented immigrant tries to obtain emergency room care. That's going to be a problem for hospitals. I'm sure they don't want to deny care to anyone but they won't be able to write it off as they have in the past.
Well this seems to be the program that they are applying for:

http://www.massresources.org/pages.c...&DynamicID=563

Also this article describes how they are being urged to sign up:
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/x60439427
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts