Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city
Boston 6 26.09%
Worcester 6 26.09%
Springfield 1 4.35%
Lowell 4 17.39%
Cambridge 4 17.39%
New Bedford 1 4.35%
Fall River 0 0%
Lynn 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 04:33 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
New Bedford was 121,217 in the 1920 census. It’s hard to imagine economic conditions where it would add 20,000 people. It’s not adding housing units. Section 8 criteria prevents adding density with existing subsidized housing units. The miracle of 40 minute express rail to Boston isn’t going to happen. South Coast Rail will likely be 90 minutes to South Station. That’s not going to attract a lot of transplants to justify applying the wrecking ball to the tenement buildings between I-195 and downtown to build luxury condos and apartments walkable to the new train station.
I don't know. Section 8 has qualifications but you are right it isn't going to be 40 minutes. I'm also wondering about how RI is doing. I keep track on Mass and CT. Wasn't hasbro supposed to be leaving RI? If it went to New Bedford that could be huge. If Mass could court the Paw sox this could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 06:04 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
We were so very wrong

Old 08-16-2021, 06:27 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
New Bedford was 121,217 in the 1920 census. It’s hard to imagine economic conditions where it would add 20,000 people. It’s not adding housing units. Section 8 criteria prevents adding density with existing subsidized housing units. The miracle of 40 minute express rail to Boston isn’t going to happen. South Coast Rail will likely be 90 minutes to South Station. That’s not going to attract a lot of transplants to justify applying the wrecking ball to the tenement buildings between I-195 and downtown to build luxury condos and apartments walkable to the new train station.
It can attract enough people pushed from the Boston area who are experiencing a downward mobility... If fares are low enough They can use that to make an absolutely miserable commute ly their low paying jobs in the Boston area.

Otherwise I don't even see the point of south coast ail a is did the jus get to a place where to a place where they had to save face and see it through? Because why would anyone with a job warrant in a $450/month pass move to New Bedford? Ppl don't do that. They never have. This isn't the NYC area.

.they optimistically estimated daily ridership at 4500 pre pandemic, what that now 2800? So the equivalent of a moderately used bus route?

Old 08-16-2021, 06:32 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It can attract enough people pushed from the Boston area who are experiencing a downward mobility... If fares are low enough They can use that to make an absolutely miserable commute ly their low paying jobs in the Boston area.

Otherwise I don't even see the point of south coast ail a is did the jus get to a place where to a place where they had to save face and see it through? Because why would anyone with a job warrant in a $450/month pass move to New Bedford? Ppl don't do that. They never have. This isn't the NYC area.

.they optimistically estimated daily ridership at 4500 pre pandemic, what that now 2800? So the equivalent of a moderately used bus route?

My opinion all along has been that it's totally useless unless in the form of a high speed, electrified line.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:48 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
We were so very wrong
Made a mistake of never closing this poll, because I did not see this actually happening for a long time. Worcester went from 1 to 4 and Lowell 2 to 4 votes votes since the census

Old 08-17-2021, 10:36 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Made a mistake of never closing this poll, because I did not see this actually happening for a long time. Worcester went from 1 to 4 and Lowell 2 to 4 votes votes since the census
I was one of the original 2 votes for Lowell but my vote was based on former resident pride and not any sort of statistical or demographic analysis.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:11 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I don't know. Section 8 has qualifications but you are right it isn't going to be 40 minutes. I'm also wondering about how RI is doing. I keep track on Mass and CT. Wasn't hasbro supposed to be leaving RI? If it went to New Bedford that could be huge. If Mass could court the Paw sox this could happen.

The RI census numbers were good and surprised many (increased to 1,098,163 from 1,055,247 in 2010). The state grew by 4.3% placing it 3rd in New England barely behind New Hampshire. Every county and 36 of its 39 cities and towns saw growth. Many experts were shocked as they had predicted lower growth which would result in the loss of one of its congressional seats. RI will now keep both seats for at least another decade.

As for Hasbro, there have been rumors that it might move so that it can consolidate its headquarters staff. It currently has most of its corporate workers in buildings in Pawtucket, East Providence, and downtown Providence. While it did not rule moving out of state, most speculation had it going to a new building in downtown Providence or out to an office park in RI. An office park location was most likely to be in the 295 area. Citizens Bank recently built a new campus in Johnston right next to route 295 and got its own on/off ramp. Other large corporate office campuses along this highway currently include Fidelity and the corporate HQ for Amica and FM Global Insurance Companies. CVS is not all that far off with its own dedicated 4 lane limited access highway (Route 99) connecting it to Route 295.

Last edited by MMS02760; 08-17-2021 at 12:50 PM..

Old 08-19-2021, 05:08 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:

I can see middle class Boston area workers doing that move if they have a hybrid work schedule. Housing is a lot cheaper, it’s ocean front, and if you don’t have to make that commute 5 days per week, it’s not so bad. I’d take a 3,000 square foot historic home somewhere off of Hawthorn St. in NB for $450/500k over a 600sq foot studio condo in Boston or renting for $2400/mo. The school system will always be an issue in NB, but the change in cost of living could afford parents the opportunity for private school (and there are several good ones nearby).

Old 08-19-2021, 07:19 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I can see middle class Boston area workers doing that move if they have a hybrid work schedule. Housing is a lot cheaper, it’s ocean front, and if you don’t have to make that commute 5 days per week, it’s not so bad. I’d take a 3,000 square foot historic home somewhere off of Hawthorn St. in NB for $450/500k over a 600sq foot studio condo in Boston or renting for $2400/mo. The school system will always be an issue in NB, but the change in cost of living could afford parents the opportunity for private school (and there are several good ones nearby).
Even one day a week it'd be 2 hours each way. That's too much. South Coast Rail is pretty obviously graft. Not to mention the CR fare would be $13 each way. (Zone 9 is 12.75/$406 right now)

Old 08-19-2021, 10:29 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Even one day a week it'd be 2 hours each way. That's too much. South Coast Rail is pretty obviously graft. Not to mention the CR fare would be $13 each way. (Zone 9 is 12.75/$406 right now)
It's not too much for everyone. I did it 5 days per week for 3 years. Lots of people already do it now. There is existing bus service and it's generally pretty full and comparably priced to commuter rail. I moved closer because the commute was brutal and would never consider moving back if I had to make the commute 5 days per week. But 2-3 times per week on a train with wifi? That's plenty doable (my fiancee and I are actually having conversations about the South Coast in a couple of years for this exact reason). And that's the hybrids. It's likely more appealing for people fully remote but Boston-based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts