Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:09 AM

66 posts, read 182,677 times

Advertisements

I am considering a software job offer in Boston. To be ultra-conservative, let's say it gives me $1000 per week before taxes.

Since no one can afford to live in actual Boston on that budget (and I'm new to the area/coming up from Texas), I'm looking for suggestions for surrounding towns to potentially call home. Some important points:

-Access to the T/some form of public transit is a must

-Super close and accessible grocery store(s) would be nice

-I'm single (and likely to stay that way for a while), so no need to worry about family friendliness, schools, etc.

-I love walking and definitely appreciate a place with good sidewalks, trails, etc. !

Are there nice, safe little suburbs that meet these criteria (bonus points for closeness to coastline if that's realistic , nice character, etc.)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 06:25 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,236,102 times
You need to clarify two things: your actual housing budget and your likely job site.

Your general criteria hints at more urban than suburban living. You can go to Arlington, Watertown, Medford, Somerville, Waltham if your job is to the west of Boston.

All of these places are semi-urban to suburban in character. It is very common to have roommates to split the costs. North Shore or South Shore are not always an easy commute to main tech corridor, but again, let us know your job site and real budget to be able to help you better. We have no clue what other financial obligations and expenditures you might have so your weekly pay without taxes means nothing.

Good luck.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,632,247 times
Looks like you may be looking in 1200 to 1500 / month range for rent.

Coastal cities, you might like Salem. Very happening with young professionals in their 20s.

Quincy is another possibility. Some very nice parts and easier to get into Boston or Kendall on the red line than taking a commuter line. Though the downtown is a little more gritty and less developed at this time than Salem, with less of a nightlife.

If job is in Kendall/Cambridge or Boston, you can take the train from Salem directly to North Station. There is a shuttle right across the bridge to Kendall. At North Station there are connecting subways and buses around the city.

If the job is in Waltham or one of the outlying towns, I do not recommend living near the coast as the commute will be a nightmare. In that situation, I would recommend a small studio in Waltham or Arlington or finding roommates for a more spacious place.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:44 AM

7 posts, read 9,695 times
Since T is a must, I would think you will be working in Boston.

My suggested locations are Malden, Melrose, Medford, and Somerville. Out of these towns, Malden is the most affordable and there's a Super Stop & Shop very close to the T as well.

In Malden, if you are fine with living with roomates, some of the rent is really affordable. You should go to Craigslist and do a quick search for these towns just so you can see the type of ranges for rent. If you do plan to live in Malden, I would say try to stay at the west side of Malden and towards the upper west side of Malden that is near Fellsway E. There's a Middlesex Fells Reservation where you can run and hike.

Last edited by itoenjasmine; 10-05-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-05-2014, 09:23 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,223,347 times
Maybe check out Manchester by the sea..An upscale town right on the ocean with commuter rail access to Boston. Close to some great walking trails in the woods etc..

A couple of clicks north of Salem..The Salem rail is currently doing a MAJOR rebuild with a new parking garage etc. Good
stuff.

Good info from other posters but at the end of the day it depends on what type of environment ur looking for..city/town as
there are many places that fill your needs.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:45 AM

66 posts, read 182,677 times
More clarifications (sorry for not adding these right away!)

I'd say max housing budget is $1200 for combined rent/utilities. The business is in Cambridge (yay! Love that area), but since I absolutely do not want roommates, Cambridge itself may be out of the question.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,223,347 times
Maybe the South end of Boston like Dorchester may be a good fit. Close to Cambridge, close to the ocean and an Irish Boston suburb. Home of the Wahlburgers.. As far as Boston goes a safe place to be that meets ur needs. Good luck in ur search..

Old 10-05-2014, 01:38 PM

3,685 posts, read 7,416,795 times
Single and working in Cambridge with a low budget. I would consider Everett, Chelsea and Revere.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:53 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,690,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.cpp View Post

I'd say max housing budget is $1200 for combined rent/utilities. The business is in Cambridge (yay! Love that area), but since I absolutely do not want roommates, Cambridge itself may be out of the question.
I don't blame you for not wanting roommates, but your life would be so much easier if you were willing to have them.

The places you'll be able to afford living by yourself will be far enough from the city that you'll basically miss out on the experience of living in Boston.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:04 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,236,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.cpp View Post

Stay to the west. Commuting to Cambridge can be nightmare even if on the map trip doesn't seem longer than 5-10 miles. We are not thinking in miles but times it will take you to get here or there. Boston area looks small but it is not easy.

Considering heat cost and cost of other utilities there will be limited options you have. Best option is to find studio apartment as close to Cambridge as you can (Arlington, Medford, Watertown, Waltham, Belmont, Brookline (possibly too small budget already) or find roommates. $1200 is pretty small budget for rent and utilities combined. You will have to figure out some compromise. With high costs of living, having someone to share your bills with is very smart until you get better footing. Yes, you can go very far out of metro Boston to get cheaper housing, but what you save in rent you will spend in traveling cost, aggravation, and lost time.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts