Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,475 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband and i just moved to MA from California few weeks ago and we are planing to purchase our dream home either in Shrewsbury, Northborough or Framingham, as according to our friends these few areas are more city-like. We prefer a place with higher resale value as we may have job-relocation again in another 4-5 years and definitely don't want our cash get stuck in housing.

We are comfortable not to spend more than $580k and prefer a neighborhoods easy access to grocery, restaurants, Boston (hubby's work place), and also a place that we can really call a HOME which with low crime rate and friendly to raise a kid. That will be good if someone can provide some decent neighborhoods to me for I'm totally new to this state.

We attended a few open house in north of Shrewsbury and there is a house that we are interested with built in area of 2800sqft and also 800sqft finished basement, anyone has any idea about the highest monthly heating & cooling bills for this 1993 weatherboard heated and centered-ac house? It also has 2 skylight in the living room, will it worsen the heating bill in winter assuming they are in good shape?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 01:52 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlzGiveMe View Post
Hi my husband and i just moved to MA from California few weeks ago and we are planing to purchase our dream home either in Shrewsbury, Northborough or Framingham, as according to our friends these few areas are more city-like. We prefer a place with higher resale value as we may have job-relocation again in another 4-5 years and definitely don't want our cash get stuck in housing.

We are comfortable not to spend more than $580k and prefer a neighborhoods easy access to grocery, restaurants, Boston (hubby's work place), and also a place that we can really call a HOME which with low crime rate and friendly to raise a kid. That will be good if someone can provide some decent neighborhoods to me for I'm totally new to this state.

We attended a few open house in north of Shrewsbury and there is a house that we are interested with built in area is about 2800sqft with 800sqft finished basement, anyone has any idea about the highest monthly heating & cooling bills for this 1993 weatherboard heated and centered-ac house? It also has 2 skylight in the living room, will it worsen the heating bill in winter assuming they are in good shape?
All three places are IMHO not the best options if you need daily commute to Boston. My suggestion is to look in Natick which has better resale value than any of the three you were inquiring about. You could include Westborough as well, but commute is pretty long. Rule of the thumb: closer to Boston with public transport and good schools=higher prices, and easier to sell.

Other places to consider are Westwood, Reading, Arlington and Hingham. All offer good commute into Boston, good schools and family oriented atmosphere.

Good luck.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:55 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlzGiveMe View Post

We attended a few open house in north of Shrewsbury and there is a house that we are interested with built in area of 2800sqft and also 800sqft finished basement, anyone has any idea about the highest monthly heating & cooling bills for this 1993 weatherboard heated and centered-ac house? It also has 2 skylight in the living room, will it worsen the heating bill in winter assuming they are in good shape?
I grew up in the north side of Shrewsbury, and while I think it's full of incredibly stable/safe neighborhoods, I would NEVER commute to into Boston from Shrewsbury as there really is no direct route. Doable? Sure.

What part of Boston is your husband commuting to? (i.e., financial district, Cambridge, Seaport, Longwood etc.)

If your willing to settle for less sq/ft and pay higher taxes, Acton provides better access and equal or better schools.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
My suggestion is to look in Natick which has better resale value than any of the three you were inquiring about. You could include Westborough as well, but commute is pretty long. Rule of the thumb: closer to Boston with public transport and good schools=higher prices, and easier to sell.

Yup, we like Westborough and Natick but the houses in these 2 regions are far more higher than we can afford. We prefer a 4 bedroom house so our families members can stay with us during holiday. Townhouse will be our last consideration since we have 3 dogs and it will be very inconvenient if we cant build the fence around the backyard.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I grew up in the north side of Shrewsbury, and while I think it's full of incredibly stable/safe neighborhoods, I would NEVER commute to into Boston from Shrewsbury as there really is no direct route. Doable? Sure.

What part of Boston is your husband commuting to? (i.e., financial district, Cambridge, Seaport, Longwood etc.)

If your willing to settle for less sq/ft and pay higher taxes, Acton provides better access and equal or better schools.
My husband works at Longwood and the traffic is getting really worse recently due to the bridge repair project. It sounds like Acton is somewhere we can look into, thanks.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,142 times
Are you commuting by train? Parts of Shrewsbury are very close to the Westborough commuter rail station

Old 10-07-2014, 03:11 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wistagirl View Post
Are you commuting by train? Parts of Shrewsbury are very close to the Westborough commuter rail station
Yes, but it's a miserable train commute as one has to backtrack via the green line to Longwood. The commute rail trips become far less desirable if your employer isn't near your commuter lines hub (North/South Station).

-Zach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts