Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 8,011 times

Advertisements

I lived in Marblehead and no it's not a racist community (that I experienced). In fact the neighbors behind us were black and we loved them. Anyway, everyone knows each other because it's such a small community and that's probably why they may have stared longer than normal. People in Marblehead are more concerned with bickering over who's a "true header".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 05:36 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwittn View Post
I lived in Marblehead and no it's not a racist community (that I experienced). In fact the neighbors behind us were black and we loved them. Anyway, everyone knows each other because it's such a small community and that's probably why they may have stared longer than normal. People in Marblehead are more concerned with bickering over who's a "true header".
I agree that in Marblehead you will find that most people have very liberal attitudes toward race and although it's a pretty white town, people generally would see multi-culturalism in society as a positive thing. Most would probably distance themselves strongly from any notions of racism.

However, the rubber hits the road when a black person (particularly if they have an 'urban' style) pops up in the neighborhood. But hey it might be the same for whites giving off a certain vibe or having a look that is not typical of Marblehead. No problem if a harvard educated black doctor and family moves in next door. No problem if Biff brings his preppy black friend to visit from Exeter for the weekend. That's ok - helps people to confirm to themselves that they are not racist.

I'm not trying to say if this was or was not racist nor am I trying to say that Marblehead is racist, just pointing out the nuances of racism and how it's not such a simple issue. I think there is a fine line between snobbishness, elitism and racism. Either way, it's sad that the OP felt uncomfortable in Marblehead.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:06 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studddmuffin View Post
Is Marblehead known for racism? I pulled into a parking lot at a park and people immediately went to their cars just to lock their doors. Some people just stood with their cars or sat in them staring at me. I'm not kidding or exaggerating! A woman parked next to me opened her passenger door and forcefully hit my car with it.

I'm a black male BTW.
Is your real name Mike Tyson? That's quite a reaction. Holy Cow.

Mick

Old 03-29-2015, 08:48 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
You'll notice the original poster made just the 1 post and has not been back since October 2014.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:19 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Like most affluent places with mostly college educated and well-traveled residents, Marblehead is classist, not racist. Nobody cares if the affluent, educated couple who moves in next door is black, Indian, Chinese, or Jewish. On the flip side, they'll fight anyone trying to put Section 8 housing next to them with an elite legal team of Alan Dershowitz, F. Lee Bailey, and Robert Shapiro and mount the biggest grass roots protest you've ever seen.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:39 AM

404 posts, read 526,601 times
^^^Haha ironic that this post itself is classist, eh? Marblehead is an awesome, welcoming community I loved it.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:34 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
Probably time to close this one up...

Old 04-03-2015, 10:11 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
The OP probably pointed to a mainsail and said: I like the cut of your jib.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts