Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times

Advertisements

The biggest issue is most people who come onto this forum looking for housing recommendations want the most affordable house in the towns with "the best schools" and there just aren't enough inexpensive homes in those towns to go around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 AM

78 posts, read 92,188 times
No, I was completely prepared, especially after house hunting in L.A. in 2008, but the market here this year is by all accounts just ridiculous. The inventory is so low that it's forcing prices up to unsustainable levels. Like the other poster said above, had they not bought a few years ago they wouldn't be able to afford to live in the town they are. I'm more than a little concerned that buying a 450K box that needs 50K in improvements in a not so nice neighborhood may not be a great investment in the short term. If we had to sell in 5 years, we might be in trouble. If we didn't have kids then 90 percent of our issues with finding a place would go away.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:19 AM

Doing an MLS search of every city north and west of Boston within 40 miles or so under $450K with at least 3 bdrms today...came up with a grand total of 2 new houses in the last day. The weather right now may have something to do with that, but probably not much. That seems to be the norm since I've been here.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:06 AM

304 posts, read 774,434 times
I know this is the wrong state but Portland, Maine is pretty hipster, and much cheaper than the Boston area. It is only about an hour and a half from Boston too in case you need to travel there (and the train goes from Portland to Boston pretty regularly).

I just re-read your post and noticed your wife was working in North Reading, MA - I thought you both worked from home. Portland is about 90 miles from N. Reading so probably too far for a regular commute. But once you find somewhere to live, you should definitely check out Portland because it is a really fun city and I think it has that hipster vibe that you are looking for.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
So someone wants fancy pants modern stuff without being willing to pay for it?

Check.

How were uses different that long ago? I mean, people still had bedrooms and bathrooms, right? And a kitchen? I dunno. Some people can't be pleased.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:53 AM

What "fancy pants modern stuff" do you think I'm looking for exactly. I'm at a loss to understand your animosity. Are you a realtor?

By uses, I mean that when some of these places were built, they didn't have indoor plumbing or electricity. They didn't have any sort of laundry room. The hearth was located in the center of the house and people usually cooked, ate, and "lived" all in the same area especially during the winter. You know, the kind of stuff most people learn in 5th grade social studies.

My reason for pointing that out was to possibly explain the weird layouts of most older houses I've seen there. And things like having 2 bathrooms across the hall from one another downstairs and none upstairs. Or the fact that a lot of houses have the washer and dryer in the kitchen or the bathroom instead of a laundry room. I've lived all over the county and these are things you don't usually see anywhere else.

Garsh, I guess I "dunno" either.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-05-2015 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: no reason for this

Old 06-05-2015, 09:54 AM

Thanks Beantown_mama, I'll have to be sure to check out Portland. I've had other folks mention it too.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:29 AM

This 43 yo is "grown up" thank you very much. And I've lived in most parts of the country, as well. California, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, briefly in Florida, Vermont, and yes, here, Massachusetts.

Is housing stock here older than most places I've lived in? Yes, it's also far nicer and generally has way more character. I'll take the houses I lived in in Arlington and Belmont over almost anything I've experienced outside of Vermont.

If you don't want to be here, leave. If you want some perfect place, pay for it or build yourself.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-05-2015 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: this is getting stupid

Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 AM

Thanks for proving my point. I notice that you still can't/won't explain your "fancy pants modern stuff" comment.

Last edited by Gatorman4017; 06-05-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman4017 View Post
Thanks for proving my point. I notice that you still can't your "fancy pants modern stuff" comment.

If you want modern stuff, pay for it. You're an "interior designer" get a place and make it into something. If you want stuff handed to you, this isn't a place for you. Might as well go back St Louise with your "Elle Decor" crap if you want to be around people with sheet taste. You want hipster areas, but don't want to pay for it, you want mixed use, but undoubtedly hate triple deckers with non updated bathrooms and kitchens. You want, you want you want, not to pay or put the work in. Got it.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-05-2015 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: quit it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts