Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:58 AM

36 posts, read 46,010 times

Advertisements

Okay, that makes sense. Would we be able to find updated homes with an open floor plan (3br/2ba) for no more than 400,000? We'd really like to be closer to the 300,000 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 09:12 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningirl View Post
Okay, that makes sense. Would we be able to find updated homes with an open floor plan (3br/2ba) for no more than 400,000? We'd really like to be closer to the 300,000 range.
Acton? Ain't no way. Maynard? Most likely, but on a smaller lot.

If you have job flexibility (i.e., your profession isn't Boston-centric) I would suggest you consider finding a job in greater Worcester. This would allow you to focus your home buying efforts to the nicer Worcester suburbs which are, in my opinion, still below market. One can buy a very nice home in Paxton, Holden, Sterling, or West Boylston for <$330K ... with plenty of well maintained homes available in the $240-300K range.

Of course, none of these towns work if you have long term intentions of commuting to Charlestown.

I really cannot suggest buying east of 495 right now as one can rent for far cheaper than they can own. If you are set on greater metro-west, I would be very patient. I think the market will cool over the next 12-18 months as investors/cash buyers leave the game, current owners remain overleveraged, and first time buyers remain stand-offish as they contemplate why they didn't buy in 2009 when prices were sane (which is me right now).

Old 11-13-2014, 09:55 AM

520 posts, read 775,902 times
I agree with Shrewsburried, the market inside 495 is pretty ridiculous at the moment.

Additionally, its probably a good idea to spend some time here before making a more permanent decision like buying a house. Waltham would be a decent geographic location to rent a place for a year or so. Its on the Acton line of the commuter rail and a reasonable drive to Worcester. There are plenty of rental units available.

That way, you can get a feel for different towns before deciding where to settle down.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:02 PM

Okay, that makes sense. As of right now I'd be working more long-term in the Worcester area, but my husband would need 1-2 years in Boston before he could work more west of Boston. We aren't 100% sure of our situation yet, but we probably wouldn't be buying until spring/summer of 2016-ish.

As for rentals, then, are there affordable rentals in the Acton/Maynard area?

Old 11-13-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Okay, that makes sense. As of right now I'd be working more long-term in the Worcester area, but my husband would need 1-2 years in Boston before he could work more west of Boston. We aren't 100% sure of our situation yet, but we probably wouldn't be buying until spring/summer of 2016-ish.

As for rentals, then, are there affordable rentals in the Acton/Maynard area?
I'm assuming no kids ... correct? If so, I'd stick to Maynard as you won't be paying for access to a desirable school district. You can also check out Littleton and Ayer, both of which have train access and are 30-35 minutes to Worcester. Ayer has plenty of rentals within walking distance to the commuter rail, a small but active main street, and is cheap (due to underperforming schools + generally roughness/rep). It also provides close access to all of Groton's beautiful conservation land and associated trails. Acton and Littleton are upper-middle/white collar; Maynard and Ayer are blue color rough but generally safe.

Don't be mistaken ... all of the towns mentioned, including Acton, would make for a rather miserable commute to Charlestown.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:03 PM

That's correct - no kids. I am worried about the commute for my husband into Boston.... but I think using public transportation might be less of a headache (driving frustration, parking, etc)??

Old 11-14-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
That's correct - no kids. I am worried about the commute for my husband into Boston.... but I think using public transportation might be less of a headache (driving frustration, parking, etc)??
It really depends on his schedule. I live within walking/biking distance to the Ayer Commute Rail (via the rail trail in Groton/Ayer); however, I hardly ever use the line due to the hours I head into Boston ...typically off hour flights or client meetings. During off hours, I can get into Boston in 50-60 minutes via car. During peak commuting hours, well, I can't say as I avoid it altogether. It would be miserable ... I'm guessing 100-120 minutes.

If you start pushing out towards Littleton/Ayer, you start looking at an hour on the commuter rail + travel to/from the station. Depending on the station, parking becomes an issue. He'd probably be looking at 80-90+ minutes one way.

As others have suggested, you really want to stick to the rail lines which drop at North Station. Acton/Fitchburg or Lowell lines (there are others but I'm keeping Worcester proximity in mind).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts