Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:40 AM

36 posts, read 46,030 times

Advertisements

hi!

looks like my husband and i may be moving back to MA (we went to college in worcester). one of us will be working in worcester and one of us will be working in boston (near thompson square/bunker hill). ideally, we'd like our commutes to be about equal and realize we're probably going to need to live closer to boston for that to happen. the one commuting into boston is open to public transportation to avoid the headaches of rush hour traffic. the other would be reverse-commuting, so i'm guessing driving wouldn't be an issue? any thoughts on this? so, ultimately, where would the best place to live be considering commuting time? the drive time from the two places is about 50 minutes with no traffic (but we know there's basically no time when there's no traffic into boston). thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 10:33 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Right off the top of my head, I'm thinking Natick or Framingham would be good choices. However, you haven't given enough information to get an informed reply. Do you have kids? Are schools important? Are you looking to buy or rent? Do you want to live in a house, townhouse, or apartment/condo? What is your budget for housing? What do you like to do for fun? What type of environment do you like to live in (urban, semi-urban, suburban, semi-rural, or rural)? Do you need shopping nearby? Perhaps you like a town with a developed town center?

It would be great if you could give more detail aside from your commute.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:41 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
I think you're right about the drive to Worcester from points east-- not too much of a problem. Mike suggests Natick or Framingham-- there you have the train into Back Bay with a change to the orange line to Charlestown. Someplace like Maynard along the Fitchburg commuter line could work as well with a train to North Station and a walk or short bus ride to Thompson Sq from there.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:09 AM

thank you both for your input. Mike - ideally we'd like to buy a house, but recognize we will be limited because housing is quite expensive the further east we go. we'd be open to a townhome, but the fees need to be reasonable. we don't have kids (yet), so schools wouldn't be too important for this move, but perhaps in the future if we stay in that area. we do have a dog, however. she's about 35-40 lbs, doesn't bark, and is one of the most well-behaved dogs i've ever known (doesn't destroy anything or eat ANYTHING when not instructed even if we leave food out). if we buy, we'd want to keep our house payment (including taxes, insurance, etc.) around 2,000 per month. we do have some savings and would be able to put a down a decent downpayment. resale will be very important. we're probably looking for something more suburban than anything else (i grew up semi-rural in central MA and he grew up more suburban). we both love to hike and bike - we're more outdoors-type of people. i'm an avid runner and would really like to live in a safe area where i can step out my door and run (maybe even have some trails close by). i'd like to have a grocery store and a gym close by, but don't really need shopping really close (within 30 mins would be fine). a nice town center would be great - with small shops, restaurants, etc.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:10 AM

also, how long are these different commuting options you're speaking of?

Old 11-12-2014, 04:55 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Given the job is in Charlestown, your train should go to north station. I would look for
Towns on the south acton commuter rail line

Old 11-12-2014, 05:00 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Stow or Maynard would work. Short drive to the Acton commuter rail mentioned above and a reasonable drive down 290 to Worcester.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:31 PM

Upon further thought . . . I would like to change my recommendations to Maynard & Acton.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:03 PM

Okay, what made you change you recommendation? I'm just curious about the different areas - I'm not really familiar with eastern MA. Any input would be great!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningirl View Post
Okay, what made you change you recommendation? I'm just curious about the different areas - I'm not really familiar with eastern MA. Any input would be great!
If you took a map and drew a straight line starting in Boston and ending in Worcester, you'll find the middle of the line falls exactly in Framingham and Natick. So, immediately I thought of these two towns. However, driving from Acton/Maynard is roughly the same time commitment as coming from Natick. However, the train commute from Acton/Maynard to the area of Boston you want is better than the commute from Natick/Framingham. In terms of home prices, Maynard is roughly the same as Framingham and Natick is roughly the same as Acton. So when I thought about it some more, I gave Acton/Maynard a slight edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts