Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 6,298 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a single family home in the Framingham area, and wanting to know what areas you would recommend, also reputable agents?

Ideally would like a newly built home but so far I have seen are all older homes?

Any advice welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 08:38 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Can you give us more details? Where are you commuting to? Framingham? If so, what part of town? How many bedroom/baths are you looking for? What is your housing budget? Would you be willing to live in a townhouse or is it single family or nothing? Do you have any kids? Are schools important? If so, how important? What do you like to do for fun? What kind of environment are you looking for (urban, semi-urban, suburban, semi-rural, or rural)? You're initial post is entirely too vague for you to get a reasonable answer.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 AM

4 posts, read 6,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Can you give us more details? Where are you commuting to? Framingham? If so, what part of town? How many bedroom/baths are you looking for? What is your housing budget? Would you be willing to live in a townhouse or is it single family or nothing? Do you have any kids? Are schools important? If so, how important? What do you like to do for fun? What kind of environment are you looking for (urban, semi-urban, suburban, semi-rural, or rural)? You're initial post is entirely too vague for you to get a reasonable answer.
Sorry for not mentioning it previously-
Commute will be within Framingham itself, and budget not more than $400-450K.
Looking for a single family home, ideally 4 bed/2 baths. Not looking for any specific environment, but should be safe/and clean. And neighbors should be nice. And schools yes, we are looking for homes with good nearby schools..

Thanks for any help

Old 12-01-2014, 10:31 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa2014 View Post
Sorry for not mentioning it previously-
Commute will be within Framingham itself, and budget not more than $400-450K.
Looking for a single family home, ideally 4 bed/2 baths. Not looking for any specific environment, but should be safe/and clean. And neighbors should be nice. And schools yes, we are looking for homes with good nearby schools..

Thanks for any help
With a budget of $400-450k, I would look in towns outside of Framingham. A patient buyer should find a suitable home in Ashland or Hopkinton for mid-$400k. It will certainly be older/dated though. New builds are likely far beyond your budget in these towns.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:18 AM

I agree. Being that you're working in Framingham, I would focus my search on towns west of there. Towns to the east will be out of your budget. Ashland and Hopkinton are good suggestions. Maybe Holliston and maybe even Shrewsbury could be good choices. The further west you go and the longer commute you endure, the less expensive your house will get generally speaking. You could probably find something in Framingham but some of the other area towns have more well regarded school systems.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:28 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
I agree. Being that you're working in Framingham, I would focus my search on towns west of there. Towns to the east will be out of your budget. Ashland and Hopkinton are good suggestions. Maybe Holliston and maybe even Shrewsbury could be good choices. The further west you go and the longer commute you endure, the less expensive your house will get generally speaking. You could probably find something in Framingham but some of the other area towns have more well regarded school systems.
All these towns are good suggestions, but if the OP is dead set on new construction and doesn't mind a 45 min commute then Grafton might work too. Grafton has a lot of newer homes especially on the south side. I think 99 out of 100 people would choose an older home in Hopkinton over a newer home in Grafton though due to better schools and shorter commute.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
All these towns are good suggestions, but if the OP is dead set on new construction and doesn't mind a 45 min commute then Grafton might work too. Grafton has a lot of newer homes especially on the south side. I think 99 out of 100 people would choose an older home in Hopkinton over a newer home in Grafton though due to better schools and shorter commute.
From a re-sale perspective, you're always better off buying the older house in the more sought after town than the newer house in a less desirable town. I tell people "houses are a lot like cars . . . they're only considered new for so long." Once your house is no longer new, it's just an old house like any other. Location on the other hand rarely changes.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:07 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Shrewsbury is another good suggestion; however, commuting to Framingham can be a real drag. Not nearly as bad as the worst pockets of 95/93/3, but a drag nonetheless.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:13 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Quote:
From a re-sale perspective, you're always better off buying the older house in the more sought after town than the newer house in a less desirable town. I tell people "houses are a lot like cars . . . they're only considered new for so long." Once your house is no longer new, it's just an old house like any other. Location on the other hand rarely changes.
Excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts