Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 01:53 PM

495 posts, read 610,790 times

Advertisements

I wonder if that's just tradition in my family in-law's town or is that all Massachusetts

Basically in the town summer activity depends on the kid's being out of school. Because of some schools that get out of exams mid-last week June, things open up last week June

Then comes July 4th weekend
Then, weather permitting, there's summer stuff and if rain it's cancelled

Last week July is usually the beginning of back-to-school sales, closing of the parks and pool and whatever else, the put away the grille for the fall... End of the Tanglewood concert season final goodbyes

New Englanders, being early to rise and plan ahead kind of people, August is back to school

So with that said, don't you think we don't make our summer long enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 03:20 PM

560 posts, read 750,975 times
Do you mean in terms of kids? as an adult my "summer" runs from June through early Sept. My grill only got put up a few weeks ago.

Kids getting out of school at all for "summer" is a crock anyway. the whole reasoning behind it is related to an agricultural society. I would keep them in school all year with just an extra week off here or there.... now i sound like an old fuddy duddy.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:51 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
MA school year ends second or third week of June, depending on how many snow days we had during the winter. And, usually nobody is back to school before September or very late August. Day or two before, or right after Labors Day depending on school district calendars.

I am OK with this so far. If my kids had less vacation time, I would probably not have them in the public school at all. Young minds, and young souls need some unstructured downtime. Plus, we do try to travel, and spend some quality time together.

Our school district has many families of mixed nationalities, and having school all year long is out of question. This is the only time of the year available to them, to travel, and connect with relatives abroad. Many private schools knowing that parents are itching to go, and do things elsewhere, release kids as early as May. There is more to life than to be on a perpetual hamster wheel/rat race.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:33 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Labor Day is traditionally the end of the summer season in New England.

I'm still cooking on the grill.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:38 PM

Then what's this culture of back to school as soon as the word August is sounded?

Old 11-25-2014, 05:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Then what's this culture of back to school as soon as the word August is sounded?
Stores wanting to sell back to school?

Old 11-25-2014, 06:07 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
I don't subscribe to retail's definition of "culture"

Old 11-25-2014, 06:23 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Labor Day is traditionally the end of the summer season in New England.
Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I'm still cooking on the grill.
People put their grills away? I use mine all year. This year I bought myself a decent smoker so I may try smoking at some point during the winter this year too.

Quote:
Let me answer your question with a question . . . why this year did I start seeing Christmas displays in some stores before Halloween? Is Christmas coming earlier?

Old 11-26-2014, 07:08 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
Some school districts started school in late August this year because they exceeded their number of snow days last year. Most schools don't have A/C; therefore, it's more economical (and makes sense) to let them out before the bitter heat of late June/early July hits than have them swelter in a classroom where they probably won't learn as much because they would be sweltering.

My town's schools fell into this exact scenario. Classes started a week or so before Labor Day.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:34 AM

I just don't want it to be tradition that summer starts July 4th and ends July 27th. Which basically means some years a summer at the beach is a no-go if by chance, the 3 weekends of summer are rained out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts