Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 03:47 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post

I don't know how much track they're buying, but wouldn't the southern part of town near the highway be a good place to put a commuter rail stop right off I-95? It could even have a dedicated exit off the highway in addition to the local street access.
Well, that would make more sense than trying to put one in the center. There is an existing highway exist close to there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 07:01 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Well, that would make more sense than trying to put one in the center. There is an existing highway exist close to there.
That's something I never understood. Other major cities have their "commuter rail" stations off the highway with large parking garages. Half of our stations are located in town centers away from major routes and only have a 50-spot parking lot that runs out of space by 8am. Lack of parking and poor accessibility are 2 big reasons why the commuter rail isn't more popular here. We have more miles of track than most cities do, but we aren't making good use of them.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
That's something I never understood. Other major cities have their "commuter rail" stations off the highway with large parking garages. Half of our stations are located in town centers away from major routes and only have a 50-spot parking lot that runs out of space by 8am. Lack of parking and poor accessibility are 2 big reasons why the commuter rail isn't more popular here. We have more miles of track than most cities do, but we aren't making good use of them.
The tracks were there before the highways, as were many of the stations. I know on the Franklin line the newer stations like Dedham Corporate are right off a major highway with giant, never full parking lots. Other than 95 and 495 the line doesn't intersect major roads, though.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
The reason commuter rail is not popular is because the service sucks and costs a lot of money.

The parking woes are because the MA government hates cars and would rather people buy houses in walking distance to commuter rail stations. Look at how expensive the parking is at most stations- that price is designed to deter people from parking while taking advantage of those of us who have no choice.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:18 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Silly. There is always benefit to expanding public transportation options. Boston metro is growing, and so is the need for more commuter rail stops and options. We are not in Kansas anymore (nothing against Kansas). Really backward knee-jerk reaction.

Walpole people better deal with it in more constructive manner. I am personally tired of NIMBY. If you want things to always stay the same, pretend it is 1980, with places dead and with little traffic, move elsewhere. So many areas like that all over the US. You can not have your cake, and eat it too. Everything changes.
NIMBY aside (I actually live a few hundred yards from an active CR line) I think it's an inefficient use of resources. The projected cost per passenger mile was like three times the system average. Foxboro is surrounded by towns with commuter rail. If it were the start of a real spur line that brought service to an underserved region I'd like the proposal much more, but this is just too much money for one stop.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
NIMBY aside (I actually live a few hundred yards from an active CR line) I think it's an inefficient use of resources. The projected cost per passenger mile was like three times the system average. Foxboro is surrounded by towns with commuter rail. If it were the start of a real spur line that brought service to an underserved region I'd like the proposal much more, but this is just too much money for one stop.
Just curious, would you have been in favor of rehabilitating the spur of tracks off Waltham which goes through Wayland, Sudbury and terminates in Hudson? That corridor is probably the most underserved in the Boston area relative to how many Boston commuters reside there. Too late though, the plan was killed off 20 years ago and is being turned into a rail trail.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The reason commuter rail is not popular is because the service sucks and costs a lot of money.

The parking woes are because the MA government hates cars and would rather people buy houses in walking distance to commuter rail stations. Look at how expensive the parking is at most stations- that price is designed to deter people from parking while taking advantage of those of us who have no choice.
Agreed that service sucks. Most stations only make about 15-20 trips a day into Boston. When I lived in Atlanta I lived just as far from the city as I do now from Boston - about 25 miles. Here the commuter rail makes maybe 4 or 5 trips during rush hour, whereas the train in Atlanta came every 5-10 minutes. Yes, they only had 1 type of service (just subway, no commuter rail), but their subway lines extended further out so commuters from the outer suburbs could use it as a commuting option. Not like Boston where our subway terminates in places like Newton and Malden.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:59 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
When responded initially, I have responded to longstanding tradition of old farts deciding for future generations in a manner that is not utilitarian, or even economically savvy, but only selfishly wants to keep the status quo. I still think that we have not enough stops and commuter options, and while home prices in immediate Boston area and with better commute options are getting out of reach for many regular folks, we should be looking to add new options as we can, how ever we can. Development never unfolds in some picture-book perfect scenario. It can be little messy here and there. But, demographic and economic trends are in favor of such endeavors. Roads are at their peak capacity anyway.

Most people commuting to anywhere are stressed by illogically long commutes, infrequent service, poor parking opportunities. Rush hour commute is now almost whole day affair in parts of Metro Boston, and it is getting worse. What happens in winter with snow? Everything just stops. It is funny how poor services we actually have. I do believe that long term if we do not clean our house well, it can costs us in mass exodus of well paying jobs in the next decade or two. High prices, bad commute, outdated lousy infrastructure and cold weather, arrogant bureaucracy ...What will actually be in our favor in the next 10-20 years? Many companies will take notice sooner that residents do.

IMHO there is nothing wrong in having bigger and better capable light rail network, making anyone think twice about sitting in the car alone. I do not understand what is the downsize in such scenario? Most of civilized world has long abounded the ideal and cult of cars, in favor of more efficient communal types of transportation.

Of course, every time MBTA proposes something new there is an obligatory resident hissy fit about more traffic, why us, cost...Why do we feel so well equipped to judge cost vs. benefit analysis? There is so much corruption and graft in this state, most do not bat an eye, and are content to vote same people bringing same issues decade after decade, but when it comes to public transportation development, everybody wakes up, miraculously, and then rally against it. Just having a new bike trail is like pulling teeth in MA. Remember Greenbush extension?

Honestly, you would think they have just proposed a strip club, and not a rail stop. I do not get it. Anyway you look at it, it costs you plenty to live and work in MA, so lets rally to make it more pleasant to move around. Lets spend some of the tax dollars on middle class, and outside of immediate Boston area. West Mass should have great rail for decades now, and make it possible for people living there to move faster in east-west MA corridor in 21st century. It is so naive to think that we are somehow cutting edge already, and that we have enough options. I am not proud of dying, hopeless drug ridden areas cut form the rest of the world because people can not deal with railroads and want things quiet all the time?! Or that our state money exists only to prop and develop things in and around Boston. It is a shame.

My take is that we have very wealthy, and very compact state that could be the envy of the US when it comes to public transport. How can we have this bustling multinational hi-tech/bio-tech corridor and keep it chugging, while being so small minded and provincial? Not to mention corrupt. And no, I am not that naive not to know that MBTA has lot of clean-up to do as well. But, making public transportation scape goat for all the corrupt ills in MA, is not very smart long term tactic.

People should probably travel more abroad, and see that rest of the world has no wish to stand in same place for decades, as we do have here. We do need more fresh blood, broader perspectives, and new paradigms to work with.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:12 AM

560 posts, read 750,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post

My take is that we have very wealthy, and very compact state that could be the envy of the US when it comes to public transport. How can we have this bustling multinational hi-tech/bio-tech corridor and keep it chugging, while being so small minded and provincial? Not to mention corrupt. And no, I am not that naive not to know that MBTA has lot of clean-up to do as well. But, making public transportation scape goat for all the corrupt ills in MA, is not very smart long term tactic.
100% agree. I think my inital reaction was based upon my perceived usage vs cost. Im all for expanded rail service ( i think the Green line in W. Medford is a great idea and think the blue line should go to Lynn). if this new line is going to get more use than i initially thought, then great. get some more cars off the road in the AM.

I drive in from the north shore every morning. its just more convenient. if there was a better option that was super infrequent or multiple towns over, I would be all about it. as it is now, i can drive in faster (while sitting in Rt 1 traffic) than use mass transit. doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts