Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,930 times

Advertisements

I live in North Adams and own a yoga studio here. the town has changed immensely and a lot of out of town artists have moved in in the last few years. The town is actually prettier than adams and there are some nice very reasonably priced houses on the market. I bought one a year ago and i love it. Lot's of great hiking all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralgirlz View Post
We are a lesbian couple in our mid 40s that would like to live in a rural area in New England. Currently considering western MA, possible Adams. We've looked at images of North Adams and Adams and found Adams to be a somewhat prettier location. We enjoy the outdoors, snowshoeing, exploring, hiking, things like that. We noticed the real estate costs are not too high there, but we would like to live out of the city (or town) limits just enough to be able to have outside animals.

My partner is secure in her employment opportunities (health care) so that's not too much an issue unless they don't have openings when we move, but we'll cross that bridge later. She is in a high demand job so not too worried about that.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 07:39 AM

5 posts, read 13,399 times
Smile Thinking of moving to Adams, MA

Hello, I am from the Northampton area. I moved to the Berkshire's to complete school at MCLA in North Adams. I lived in Adams for a small period of time. A little factoid that I learned about the area is that Adam's death rate is higher than the birth rate. Can you tell I was a Sociology major? Anyway, look into jobs before moving here. The people are really nice but it is an ecomically strained area. I am very thankful for the education here and as well as some really nice people but I am looking to move out of here. Living in Northampton there are a lot of different areas one can visit and work. In Adams, there is not a lot to do and when you get a good job you never let it go. In the Northampton area the houses are expensive but there are more employment oppertunities where here, you can find a house for less but it all goes back to the ecomonmic strucuture. Just do your research. Come down for lunch somewhere and observe the area. Good luck to you!!!! I hope this helps I don't mean to discourage you at all. I just want you to find a place you will both love!

Old 02-25-2007, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 33,455 times
Default North Adams

My wife and I have also been contemplating a move to western, MA. I grew up out there and as we think about settling down we may want to be away from Boston. Northampton is on our radar screen as it provides easy access to outdoor activities, lower prices than metro-Boston, and a nice downtown energy. The fact that it's probably the most liberal town in a liberal state is OK with us. Economically, as long as nearby colleges & universities do well, the town should be pretty stable.

N. Adams has had its trials, and there are more to come. As with many former mill towns in Massachusetts (Pittsfield, Lowell, Lawrence), the town suffered severe job losses in the 80s. The MoCA (www.moca.org) is an example of something new in N. Adams that is slowly helping the area redevelop. The good thing is that the housing is dirt cheap.

We snowshoed on Mt. Greylock a few weekends ago and it was phenomenal.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:52 PM

14 posts, read 76,493 times
Default North Adams Now

North Adams is still in the beginning stages of establishing itself into what WILL be a great City. The area is beautiful and employment can be found if you LOOK for it. Housing prices in North Adams are climbing as the area continues to grow resulting in sound investment opertunities now. North Adams is often referred to as the up and coming Northampton. The difference is that in North Adams you can be a person instead of a number. The art scene is growing and there are great restaurants in the downtown. I almost forgot - the scenery is second to none!

Last edited by madevelopment; 03-20-2007 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Forgot to proof

Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 AM

124 posts, read 904,893 times
Quote:
if possible, domestic partner benefits for the hospital my wife (married in Canada) will eventually work in.
Massachusetts recognizes equal marriage rights -- we have same-sex marriage. So you should face no worries about benefits, wherever you go here.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,099 times
I grew up in Adams, lived after college in No. Adams and now live in Williamstown. I love it here as I hate traffic, love the outdoors and enjoy easy access to culture. The area is becoming much more diverse-Williamstown always was more so because of the college, Williams, #1 liberal arts college in the country-great art museums, concerts, theatre.

In No. Adams you can still buy a nice place for a decent price as you can in the surrounding areas like Clarksburg. Williamstown is pricey but great if you can afford it.

I also like the Northampton area but it is definitely a lot busier, built up and more expensive overall. But definitely welcoming to gay and lesbian couples.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:47 PM

8 posts, read 47,852 times
There is a lot of development happening in downtown Adams.
Three housing blocks were just bought and will be in the process of being rehabbed. I know because I bought one. The other 2 have been bought
by the well-known NY developer who was responsible for the Apollo Theatre in Chicago. He is rehabbing his blocks into high-end condominiums. Schematic design is in progress. I am in touch with the architect. People
shouldn't write off Adams so easily. It is up and coming. . .

Old 02-01-2009, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,541 times
Default Move to North Adams !

Quote:
We are a lesbian couple in our mid 40s that would like to live in a rural area in New England. Currently considering western MA, possible Adams. We've looked at images of North Adams and Adams and found Adams to be a somewhat prettier location. We enjoy the outdoors, snowshoeing, exploring, hiking, things like that. We noticed the real estate costs are not too high there, but we would like to live out of the city (or town) limits just enough to be able to have outside animals.

My partner is secure in her employment opportunities (health care) so that's not too much an issue unless they don't have openings when we move, but we'll cross that bridge later. She is in a high demand job so not too worried about that.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advance!
\

I grew up in North Adams and still think it's a beautiful place to live! The homes there are inexpensive,and it's very charming. I've live for many years outside the Boston area and someday wish to go back and retire there. If you have a demanding profession it's definetly the place to live, not Easthampton, my sister lives there and it's very busy and pricey, not what your looking for. Today people in North Adams are alot more open about people sexuallity, like many small communities in our country, give it a chance you'll enjoy it!!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,642 times
While this is an old thread, it is important to note that there are gay and lesbian people in Adams, North Adams, in fact in every Berkshire city and town. I know, I am one of them. And you are right about the beautiful country around here, and the low cost of houses. Part of that is because employment, while available is not particularly easy to find. Factory jobs are now rare, though cultural, medical and technical work is fairly consistent.

As always, it is a good idea to visit and get a sense of the area before deciding. Happily, you can cover much of the areas mentioned, from Northampton to CT and VT and the Adams's in a few days.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 5,531 times
hello there, I will be moving to No.Adams next week and would enjoy talking to you.about lots of wonderful things..,I am Rochelle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts