Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 02:33 AM

264 posts, read 389,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
All of this is obviously relative to Massachusetts, but I think it's fair to say that the South Shore distinctly leans more right-wing/conservative than does the North Shore and much of Metrowest. One measure of this is to look at where most of the Unitarian churches are (LOL.) There is one in Braintree; notoriously, it was set on fire and burned to the ground during the '70s because of the congregation's stance against US involvement in Viet Nam. There's one in Hingham also. Compare that with the quantity of Catholic and "mega" churches thereabouts, though. When the social engineering disaster of mandatory cross-district school busing was launched in Boston, whether out of racism or legitimate fears the large majority of people who fled pell-mell from the city went south. I've never seen an "OFD" (Originally from Dorchester) bumper sticker north or west of town. This may be painting with a broad brush - Hingham, Scituate, and Norwell have done great things in the way of environmental conservation, for instance - but there are few places on the South Shore I'd enthusiastically guide staunch progressives toward buying in. Personally? I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm "hostile" to the area. Clearly I know people there and have made many visits. However, it silently communicates a great deal when you mention where you live - no matter that it's not always accurate. (I should know, look where I'm from! )

I 100% agree with you...the South Shore is lots of right wingers and lots who fled the city because, in all honesty, they weren't happy with people not of their kind around. Definitely agree with the right-leaning comment as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 02:17 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I generally agree with this point. But goyguy, how does one explain that one of the very largest mega-churches in the region ended up a few blocks from progressive Lexington Center. Would love to hear the story.
"Grace Chapel" may have hired people who show up to look at available properties driving Priuses with "Coexist" and equal-sign stickers on the bumper. A bearded man in Birkenstocks, or a silver-haired woman wearing a scarf +dangling earrings + "peasant" dress and toting a reusable Whole Foods bag - who would guess what they're really representing? (LOL) That same "church" just took over a building in Watertown from a disbanded Catholic congregation too. Meanwhile, hardly any sooner did Arlington phase from being an insular and "townie" type of place to an extension of Cambridge did the "non-denominational Christian" types find it too. The long-ago Universalist church across from Town Hall, which then housed a Greek Orthodox faith community for many years, has gone "mega." So has the former UCC around the corner from there on Pleasant St. Even in Cambridge itself there's an end-of-days holy-roller group that has set up operations in a large house near Central Square. Unless you happen by while a bunch of people are inside waving their hands in the air as someone "preaches" (most of them having arrived in cars with NH plates) you'd never know it was there. That is, except for the vehicle which is in the driveway or close by on the street with its "PRAY 24" license plate.
Somebody must have sneaked into Wenham - nestled well within the North Shore area - in the dead of night to establish Gordon College too.
By the same token, you have your occasional UU and main-line Protestant churches on the South Shore as well. Let's not forget that the conservatism of that region is relative to Massachusetts.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:54 AM

374 posts, read 655,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
All of this is obviously relative to Massachusetts, but I think it's fair to say that the South Shore distinctly leans more right-wing/conservative than does the North Shore and much of Metrowest. One measure of this is to look at where most of the Unitarian churches are (LOL.) There is one in Braintree; notoriously, it was set on fire and burned to the ground during the '70s because of the congregation's stance against US involvement in Viet Nam. There's one in Hingham also. Compare that with the quantity of Catholic and "mega" churches thereabouts, though. When the social engineering disaster of mandatory cross-district school busing was launched in Boston, whether out of racism or legitimate fears the large majority of people who fled pell-mell from the city went south. I've never seen an "OFD" (Originally from Dorchester) bumper sticker north or west of town. This may be painting with a broad brush - Hingham, Scituate, and Norwell have done great things in the way of environmental conservation, for instance - but there are few places on the South Shore I'd enthusiastically guide staunch progressives toward buying in. Personally? I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm "hostile" to the area. Clearly I know people there and have made many visits. However, it silently communicates a great deal when you mention where you live - no matter that it's not always accurate. (I should know, look where I'm from! )

Crow('s) Point has undoubtedly evolved a lot over the past decade or two. I think its proximity to inarguably downscale Weymouth - and, historically, its distance from the former train station - held it back for a long time. Even the name says something, since crows are a bane to farmers and are also famous for being "nature's scavengers," not pretty or musical like robins and cardinals and so on. But these days any place with a water view is real estate gold.

P.S. A writer for the Boston Globe has penned many columns that poke fun at Hingham for the preppy/snobby ways of some of its citizens. But IME there are more offenders of that ilk in Cohasset, Scituate, and "Deluxe-bury."
Hingham is part of the poor town. Rockland is the "other side of the tracks." Many see it like this. Anyways, the YMCA is located in Hanover near the Mall. The quality of the YMCA vastly differs from the quality of the other YMCA facilities south of Boston. They also charge more.

There are not as many OFD as one might think. Many of the people moving into the yuppie towns are not OFD. Lots of people in the area cringe about the prices of things such as the YMCA and the yuppies. Single membership at the yuppie YMCA is $75/mo.

There are more Unitarian churches around here than you think. Many of them have larger memberships than more mainstream churches. There are hosts of ELCA, Methodist, etc. Plus, there are a number of Missouri Synod churches in the area to bolster your argument. The Catholic churches suffer from a low number of Priests. They have closed a number of churches in the area. Several of the churches are essentially under a personal union; ie. one Priest serves multiple churches. Catholic attendance is not necessarily as you think.

Bill

Old 01-12-2015, 08:25 PM

45 posts, read 229,449 times
Hingham is a great town with a lot to offer! I agree with the posters who have mentioned that Crow Point is a nice area in Hingham. Another area that is popular with families is Liberty Pole. You can find a variety of home styles in your price range in this neighborhood which is located in South Hingham, closer to Rte 3. The home prices in town have remained fairly steady during the downturn and have even come up a little in the past year. It is very difficult to find anything under $450,000 that is not a fixer upper due to the great reputation of the town, commuter options, schools, etc. and lack of available land to build. Many people are shocked to see what their dollar can buy them, especially after looking at some other towns on the South Shore like Norwell & Hanover but if you are coming from Beacon Hill you will most likely not be too surprised. I have many clients looking in Hingham and most of them want Hingham only and are willing to wait for a home to become available rather than looking at other towns. There is a newer Elementary school in town and the Jr High was just re-done. You have options for Catholic school at St. Pauls and Notre Dame (all girls high school) if you choose private school. Also, a great benefit is that Hingham has had one of the lowest tax rates on the South Shore in recent years. Lots of great activities in town such as the huge 4th of July parade and fireworks at the harbor, Christmas in the Square and more. It is a great town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts