Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:52 AM

12 posts, read 11,607 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

As per the subject line, I am single, in my early 40s, with a small dog looking to move in Boston from Canada due to a new position. In particular I am looking for a studio apartment roughly 10 to 15 miles away from my workplace (South Boston). I commute all year round with a bicycle (yes even in winter, even in snowstorms lol). My only other expectations are (1) to be able to walk my dog at early morning, late night without worrying for my well-being and (2) a park near by to go for a run when possible.

Finally, let me know of any good agents that could help me find an apartment.

Thank you in advance for your help.
George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 10:45 AM

15,824 posts, read 21,334,678 times
A good place to start is looking at a trail map: Greater Boston Cycling and Walking Map

The Boston area has lots of bike paths and trails and it makes sense to try to find an apartment near one for your commute. In particular, I'd look in Arlington near the Minuteman Trail or down through Newton and Brookline.

Boston is a compact city, so things might be closer than you are used to. Are you looking for 10-15 miles from an exercise perspective? That just puts you out in the suburbs which could be fine, but might be less ideal if you don't have a car in addition to your bike - particularly for shopping.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:45 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,600,551 times
I'm thinking if budget allows South Boston itself. Many nice parks along the ocean front for jogging and dog walking.

Otherwise, Quincy on one of the red line stops. There are nice oceanfront townhomes there.

Hingham is more family oriented and suburban but beautiful and has some affordable townhomes near Weymouth. There are a few good brew pubs and restaurants close to Weymouth, along the water.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
A good place to start is looking at a trail map: Greater Boston Cycling and Walking Map
Great suggestion! I will look at it ASAP.

Quote:
The Boston area has lots of bike paths and trails and it makes sense to try to find an apartment near one for your commute. In particular, I'd look in Arlington near the Minuteman Trail or down through Newton and Brookline.
I have started looking into Airlington, I will have a look at Newton and Brookline as well, ty.

Quote:
... Are you looking for 10-15 miles from an exercise perspective?
Pretty much . I can do 10-15 miles in 45-60 min or so in "traffic" which makes it ideal for my daily exercise upkeep.

Quote:
That just puts you out in the suburbs which could be fine, but might be less ideal if you don't have a car in addition to your bike - particularly for shopping.
I do not plan in buying a car in Boston ATM.

Thanks again for your help.
George

Old 12-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I'm thinking if budget allows South Boston itself. Many nice parks along the ocean front for jogging and dog walking.
Yes budget would allow me to pay $2000+ for rent but I really do not want to pay that much . Obviously, I do not want to get an apartment with "wildlife" running amok lol. I suspect 1500$ to be a pretty good amount for a decent clean studio in a safe area. Is 1500$ enough for what you have in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Otherwise, Quincy on one of the red line stops. There are nice oceanfront townhomes there.
Hingham is more family oriented and suburban but beautiful and has some affordable townhomes near Weymouth. There are a few good brew pubs and restaurants close to Weymouth, along the water.
Quincy is at the top of my list, I will also look into Hingham as well.

Thank you.
George

Old 12-20-2014, 06:03 PM

5,772 posts, read 5,067,523 times
Come to Quincy. It's safe, has a long oceanfront area for your running, close to the Blue Hills, and lots of residential options in various price range. You might even settle down and buy a home here. It's close to everything in Boston, and Dorchester is right across the river. It also has lots of restaurants, and poised for a massive revival as many revitalization projects begin.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:28 PM

14,208 posts, read 14,597,630 times
George

Understand one thing about commuting in the greater Boston area. The "subway" works fine (limited late night service aside) but it only runs out only so far then the question becomes how do I get to a "stop" on the line.

With all considered (time, cost, convenience, etc.), my initial reaction is you could easily find the right place in "Southie" (South Boston) to live and forget the whole commute thing. Otherwise I suggest be within easy walking/biking distance to a "subway stop".

Check the MBTA subway map. The color named lines are the subway lines.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:53 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,224,222 times
You do need to be careful. In Boston roads are tight, and most drivers do not play well with bikes.

I think East Arlington would be best fit since there are more bikers in general, and also more bike paths around. Stick closer to Alewife station area and you should be all set.

Good luck.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:10 AM

5,772 posts, read 5,067,523 times
Does East Arlington have many families with kids? As a single guy with a little dog, I am not sure if our op would want to be in a place where families with little kids dominate, no matter how nice the Minute Man trail is. I am not familiar with Arlington

Old 12-21-2014, 08:25 AM

6,448 posts, read 7,744,967 times
I'm a cyclist too. There are many of us here so you'll be in good company. I'm in Brookline. Great town. If I want exercise I need to purposely lengthen my route to work (I work in Boston Beacon Hill/West End area). I take the Charles river trail/Esplanade for a big part of my way but am perfectly fine riding in/with traffic too. Trails are actually pretty dangerous with the runners, dog walkers, strollers, kids, etc. and they can really slow you down.

Put Lexington and maybe Concord on your list to check out. Lots of cyclists and commuters out there. And check out Charles River Wheelmen.

Best of luck and welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts