Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:04 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,446,887 times

Advertisements

We'll be leaving soon after Christmas and driving first to Virginia Beach where I have family. After a few days vitising we head for Florida. I used to drive to FL years ago from CT but the last few times we've tried to get to Virginia from the north shore area we ended up lost in Baltimore in the middle of the night. or just got the wrong bridge around NYC.

So--should we leave at the crack of dawn to avoid traffic? There is traffic no matter where and no matter when. There is NYC traffic, NJ traffic and tolls, DC traffic. Lots of places to get mixed up and I don't always believe what the lady inside the GPS says!

Is there a alternate route that avoids that NYC/NJ mess? If we had to go out of our way, I don't think I would mind. We will probably stop and stay in a motel somewhere along the way and not drive through the night.

Then, is there any trick for driving from VA Beach to Port Canaveral FL? I assume this will be the easy part. How long does it take?

And lastly, I have never been gone for an entire month before--thermostat settings? Leave water dripping in sinks? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 06:26 PM

417 posts, read 729,425 times
not sure about the trip itself (other than the fact that we ALWAYS take the tappanzee and avoid the GW bridge,) but we leave the house at 50 and have never had an issue.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:57 PM

9,918 posts, read 15,482,556 times
I cat sit for some friends of ours that go to Florida for 2 months. They leave the house in the low 50's, and the husband told me they have some kind of alarm if the furnace goes out, it will ring his cell phone. They do not leave the water dripping.

Yeah, my daughter just drove home from South Carolina and she took the Tappan Zee. We used to visit my Aunt and Uncle who lived in Va. Beach, left about 6 in the morning and took the George Washington.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:13 PM

14,198 posts, read 14,559,798 times
From MA I went Mass Pike to I84 (Hartford) to I284 to I287 (there is a shortcut from I284 to I287, Sawmill River Parkway???? through Chappaqua, say hello to the Clintons) to Tappan Zee Bridge. NJ Turnpike to the end then on to I95 to Delaware. I95 toward Baltimore. I695 around Baltimore to MD 3/301 toward Waldorf MD. You will love the bridge over the Potomac River also the MD/VA state line. VA 301 to VA 17 to Virginia Beach.

Or MD 3/301 toward Waldorf, over the bridge to VA 301 then VA 207 back to I95 north of Richmond to I64 to Virginia Beach. I95 right through Richmond faster then the I295 around the city.

Also as I know Washington DC, if during the evening (say after 8pm) I would go I95 to MD 50 to I395 and right through the heart of Washington DC and pickup I95 again in VA. A good route from say 9pm to 5am.

Good area with plenty of motels and restaurants (about 7-8 hours from Boston) will be in Elkton Delaware just a few exits over the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Great old restaurant there for breakfast. The Iron Skillet.

If spending the might in Delaware then back on I95 to I695 in Baltimore to MD 3 /301 toward Waldorf to avoid Washington DC during the day.

Also if wanting to drive more then to Elkton your first day out then go on to and stay in Waldorf MD. Plenty of motels and restaurants. Bob Evans in Waldorf one of my favorites for breakfast.

I know many use the MD Eastern Shore route (out of Delaware) to the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel from Boston to Norfolk, VA but I never have.

Double check my directions. I have been drinking...LOL

Thermostat at 50* is good. Some will shut their main water supply off if gone that long.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by johngolf; 12-21-2014 at 07:39 PM..

Old 12-21-2014, 07:16 PM

9,918 posts, read 15,482,556 times
We always took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge–Tunnel, avoided Washington.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:15 PM

503 posts, read 1,198,040 times
The summer before last I drove from Boston to Ft. Myers Fl to visit my sister. I tend to get lost so I put my faith in miss garmin nuvi. I just followed what she told me to do. She took me over the Geo Washington bridge. The bridge toll was something like $22 (ouch).

I left on a Sunday morning at 5am. Going through NY was not bad but it was bad around the DC area. I use the " "easy pass" transponder to pay tolls. I added $100 extra before I left because my balance was low. If you use one you can call to check your balance.

I'd leave my thermostat on about 55-60. I wouldn't leave faucet dripping. Put a lamp on a timer and for sure figure out about your mail delivery so someone don't see it pile up.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:08 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,446,887 times
Youch! Those tolls do hurt. We have taken the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel Bridge going back--and we never have any problems getting back--but getting there is a different story.

I'll print out these replies and any more that come in. Then we'll get out the maps and put our thinking caps on. Yes, now I remember the Tappan Zee Bridge was the one to take and the last time we went there was a sign that said lower level closed (or something.) Anyway we ended up in NYC at about midnight--the voice in the box did get us out of that one.

Thanks for the help and the suggestions about the house. I must NOT forget to have the mail forwarded!!!!!! (don't want to miss all those bills, LOL.)

Old 12-22-2014, 08:58 AM

14,198 posts, read 14,559,798 times
IN

The Tappan Zee Bridge is only one level. It is about 35 miles up the Hudson River from NYC. What you probably did was come down I95 to the George Washington Bridge which is in the upper end of NYC (177th ST) and a double deck bridge.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:56 PM
miu

17,762 posts, read 40,021,896 times
Too bad that you have to stop in Virginia Beach!

When I go to Florida and also Atlanta, GA, I always take the Mass Pike to I-84 West to I-684 to Saw Mill Parkway South to the Tappan Zee Bridge to I-287 in NJ. Take that to I-78 West through Allentown, PA (get gas and a sandwich at the Wawa's there). Continue to I-81 south. For the east side of Florida, I cut east on I-77. But going down I-81 saves on tolls and avoids gridlock traffic. I suppose on your way back north, you can drive the reverse of my directions.

Otherwise, for driving south, I usually start my drive at night. Maybe around 7pm or 8pm.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:11 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,782,969 times
You should take the Tappan Zee bridge and always avoid the GW bridge no matter the time of day. Despite the high toll, there's intermittent construction and lane closures on the GW that don't follow any pattern. Thus, impossible to predict the traffic flow. You can be stuck here at 3am or 3pm easily.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but if you are looking for something different you can take the Cape May, NJ - Lewes, DE ferry. I believe after crossing the Tappen Zee all you have to do is find the Garden State Parkway south and follow it all the way to the end. This leads to the ferry. Cape May would be a nice place to stop for lunch. It's definitely one of the hidden gems of New Jersey.

I would call the ferry first to make sure of the schedule and to check weather conditions. I doubt you will need reservations in the winter though.

After crossing into Delaware you can follow RT 1 south I believe which I think leads to the Chesapeake bay bridge and tunnel. This is a very scenic area and won't be busy in the off season.

Once you get to Virgina Beach, VA I don't have any ideas since I've never driven that far south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts