Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2014, 04:28 PM
 
15 posts, read 19,019 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

All,

Anyone have experience relocating to within commuting distance of downtown Boston? I live in Merrimack NH. Am in the final interview stages with a company located close to South Station. If I get it, I'll have to move because of the commute.

I've got two young kids in elementary school, so good schools are a consideration. We're looking at places like Natick, Ipswich, North Reading, etc. I'm looking to get within an hour commuting to North/South Station by the commuter rail (meaning, the time spent on the train, not door-to-door). Any recommendations of good towns to relocate to?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2014, 05:03 PM
 
1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Reputation: 1592
Welcome. It will all be determined by your budget and what you hope to find. All of the towns mentioned would do. But Reading has easier commute than North Reading. There are many towns with good commute, but spacious well maintained homes in good school districts are not to be found in great numbers, and disappear very quickly. Prices are getting higher every year. Keep in mind that parking at train station is not free and it quickly adds up. Plus be sure to know how quickly parking fills in the morning to save yourself from crazy morning rush stress.

Of all places you have mentioned I do like Reading and Natick most. In Reading there is not just train in town, but also bus at train depot that will take you to orange line and then into Boston. Natick has great downtown and good commute as well. People who know Natick well are saying that it is getting pricier, and more competitive to get home there. That is pretty good endorsement I would think.

Ipswich doesn't have highly rated schools, and it would give you better home prices along with much longer commute. You are better off looking in Swamscott. I would also add Wakefield, Melrose, Hingham, Cohasset, Westwood, Sharon, Canton, Walpole, Franklin, Arlington.

Bottom line: it is hard to give recommendation without budget.

Good luck.

Last edited by kingeorge; 12-21-2014 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2014, 07:36 PM
 
15 posts, read 19,019 times
Reputation: 15
Thanks, kingeorge. Budget is up to $500,000. Or, we may consider renting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 04:29 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts & Hilton Head, SC
10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Reputation: 8669
Look in Franklin. 1 hr. train ride right to South Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Reputation: 5961
If you're working at South Station you should look to the south. North Station isn't really that close, especially in the dead of winter.

To the south, you might find something in Westwood or Sharon, but you're on the low end of the budget for those towns. The same is probably true of Natick. Walpole or Canton might be more budget-friendly while still having good schools. Medfield is an option if you're willing to drive a little bit to a commuter rail station. Franklin or Mansfield might work, as well, but you're starting to get pretty far away from Boston. With your budget you can probably choose between close and older/smaller and further out and bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Reputation: 4212
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHguy View Post
All,

Anyone have experience relocating to within commuting distance of downtown Boston? I live in Merrimack NH. Am in the final interview stages with a company located close to South Station. If I get it, I'll have to move because of the commute.

I've got two young kids in elementary school, so good schools are a consideration. We're looking at places like Natick, Ipswich, North Reading, etc. I'm looking to get within an hour commuting to North/South Station by the commuter rail (meaning, the time spent on the train, not door-to-door). Any recommendations of good towns to relocate to?

Thanks!
The Worcester line of the commuter rail is terrible. It's been a few years since I had to deal with it but when I did it was late more than it was on time. Gotta love standing on that platform at 5 AM in -10 windchill waiting for the late train to arrive. Never mind also dealing with the boss when you're late 3 times per week on average.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 06:48 AM
 
1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Reputation: 1592
Maybe OP wants to stay closer to family in NH. If that is the case, life to north of Boston might be easier long term. I would strongly consider Reading since it is close enough to everything, great family town and OP budget would be OK.
Otherwise as jayrandom pointed out, going south might have its benefits especially for commute purpose.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 07:24 AM
 
417 posts, read 734,309 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
If you're working at South Station you should look to the south. North Station isn't really that close, especially in the dead of winter.

To the south, you might find something in Westwood or Sharon, but you're on the low end of the budget for those towns. The same is probably true of Natick. Walpole or Canton might be more budget-friendly while still having good schools. Medfield is an option if you're willing to drive a little bit to a commuter rail station. Franklin or Mansfield might work, as well, but you're starting to get pretty far away from Boston. With your budget you can probably choose between close and older/smaller and further out and bigger.
This is all great advice. The extra walk from North station will get old FAST in the heat of summer (sweating in your work clothes) and the cold of winder. I would look in the towns mentioned above as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Reputation: 4798
From experience, the walk from North to South station is 20 minutes.

There is also an MBTA No. 4 bus that goes between North and South station.

The orange line has a stop at North Station and on most days is no more than five to fifteen minutes to any area of the financial district, depending whether if you get off at State, Downtown Crossing which is closest to South Station or Essex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2014, 08:45 AM
 
Location: 42°22'55.2"N 71°24'46.8"W
4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Reputation: 2962
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHguy View Post
All,

Anyone have experience relocating to within commuting distance of downtown Boston? I live in Merrimack NH. Am in the final interview stages with a company located close to South Station. If I get it, I'll have to move because of the commute.

I've got two young kids in elementary school, so good schools are a consideration. We're looking at places like Natick, Ipswich, North Reading, etc. I'm looking to get within an hour commuting to North/South Station by the commuter rail (meaning, the time spent on the train, not door-to-door). Any recommendations of good towns to relocate to?

Thanks!
How often do you see family? Once a week? How often do you commute to work? 5 days a week. Do yourself a favor and take a South Station commuter rail line. As others have said, walking 20 min from North Station vs walking 5 min from South Station will get old fast. Also why stress yourself out with a bus or subway transfer if you don't have to. As unreliable as the commuter rail is, buses and subways are even more unreliable and you will miss your North Station train a couple times a month unless you give yourself with a 40 minute buffer (vs 25 minutes buffer time if you walk, but who wants to walk in the middle of winter or summer?).

FWIW the CEO of my company located in the financial district lives 1 town away from you and has done the commute for the past 20 years, but he drives and works odd (long) hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The Worcester line of the commuter rail is terrible. It's been a few years since I had to deal with it but when I did it was late more than it was on time. Gotta love standing on that platform at 5 AM in -10 windchill waiting for the late train to arrive. Never mind also dealing with the boss when you're late 3 times per week on average.....
I take the Worcester train daily and it's only been more than 5-10 min late about a dozen times in the past 3 years.

Last edited by Parsec; 12-22-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top